Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2467532 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #8250 on: 07 August, 2016, 06:09:20 pm »
Guilty m'lud!

I'll pick the 'dale up from you when I bring your Airborne back. I'll commit to you riding it befor ethe Summer's gone.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Afasoas

« Reply #8251 on: 07 August, 2016, 10:49:58 pm »
There's no hurry... going to be a while before I get my cycling legs back. Already bricking it at the prospect of cycling to work tomorrow!

« Reply #8252 on: 11 August, 2016, 12:46:36 pm »
Some images of my Mud Puppy currently being loaded up onto the Firefly site.
http://fireflybicycles.tumblr.com
often lost.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8253 on: 31 August, 2016, 08:06:51 pm »
With some new, non-knackered idlers, a Ventisit seat pad and a re-molished headrest mount, the Red Baron is now fit for proper riding:

(And yes, the tide is still out at Earlswood.)

Chris N

« Reply #8254 on: 06 September, 2016, 09:28:03 am »
Pact fix, almost finished:

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #8255 on: 06 September, 2016, 01:08:43 pm »
Yum yum.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Moose57

• Hippopotamus scandere potest colles
« Reply #8256 on: 13 September, 2016, 08:33:28 pm »

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8257 on: 14 September, 2016, 11:40:07 am »
Is the Ottomeyer an early use of Reynolds 531?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #8258 on: 14 September, 2016, 04:29:49 pm »
It would probably have been too flexible for boiler plate.
VELOMANCER

Samuel D

« Reply #8259 on: 15 September, 2016, 08:15:30 pm »

Click to embiggen.

This is a Spa Audax in summer trim and my only bicycle. A good and proper machine. Build details here.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #8260 on: 16 September, 2016, 10:47:57 pm »
A study in elegance. Beautiful.
VELOMANCER

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #8261 on: 17 September, 2016, 11:32:10 am »

Click to embiggen.

This is a Spa Audax in summer trim and my only bicycle. A good and proper machine. Build details here.

Very nice :)

Samuel D

« Reply #8262 on: 17 September, 2016, 12:21:41 pm »
Thanks!

Chris n: what’s the seat-tube angle on your Pact frame? I’m trying to figure out how you can sit on a Cambium that far forward! As you can see above, I have a 72.5° seat tube and 25 mm layback seatpost, and I’m still at the rearward limit of the saddle rails – and wanting about 5 mm more, ideally. Nice-looking, modern bicycle though. The camouflage tape is an interesting twist.

« Reply #8263 on: 17 September, 2016, 01:11:40 pm »

Very nice. What's the spec?

Chris N

« Reply #8264 on: 17 September, 2016, 03:41:38 pm »
Thanks!

Chris n: what’s the seat-tube angle on your Pact frame? I’m trying to figure out how you can sit on a Cambium that far forward! As you can see above, I have a 72.5° seat tube and 25 mm layback seatpost, and I’m still at the rearward limit of the saddle rails – and wanting about 5 mm more, ideally. Nice-looking, modern bicycle though. The camouflage tape is an interesting twist.

Thanks Samuel. I specified 72° but haven't measured it. Saddle is as far back as it will go on the inline post and feels like it's in the right place - though isn't very comfortable. I can't decide if that's because it's in the wrong place, it doesn't suit me or if I've not got used to it yet. It feels as though it's too short - I either end up sitting on the frame at the back or on the nose.

I like your Spa, btw - a very nice looking classic bicycle, though I can't help feeling it will look better with the mudguards fitted.

Chris N

« Reply #8265 on: 17 September, 2016, 03:49:44 pm »
Very nice. What's the spec?

Thanks Rob. Have a look here for more details: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=97537.0

Chris N

« Reply #8266 on: 17 September, 2016, 04:02:27 pm »

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #8267 on: 19 September, 2016, 05:45:29 pm »

What's that rack thingy?  I've a similar shaped bag to that but no way to mount it
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ElyDave

« Reply #8268 on: 19 September, 2016, 05:47:12 pm »
With some new, non-knackered idlers, a Ventisit seat pad and a re-molished headrest mount, the Red Baron is now fit for proper riding:

Very nice, I like the twin idlers, much better for steering. 

Do you manage to drink from those bottles on the move? I expect that has similarly twitchy steering to the M5?

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #8269 on: 19 September, 2016, 08:18:46 pm »
My 1970 something Raleigh Professional 'fixed' and back on the road :)

Fixed it - 1970's Raleigh Professional back on the road by ian, on Flickr

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8270 on: 19 September, 2016, 08:30:14 pm »

Very nice, I like the twin idlers, much better for steering.

AIUI the Baron can work with the chain dropped, but that complicates matters, for the sort of efficiency/weight gain that only makes sense if you're racing.  There's also a mutant configuration some people run which gives a straighter return chainline in exchange for an extra deflection of the drive-side (bringing the first return idler further outboard and anchoring the drive side chain tube above it), which is how it was set up when I received it.  But that didn't seem to play nicely with my chainrings/boom length, so I went back to basics with the standard two-idler configuration and tweaked until it worked properly (or as properly as anything can reasonably be expected to work with 22-36-50 chainrings).  The secret, for anyone playing along at home, is to tilt that first return idler *just so*.

Do you manage to drink from those bottles on the move? I expect that has similarly twitchy steering to the M5?

I need to take a photo of that, don't I?

On the Streetmachine, I use a Camelback valve linked to an Ortlieb 5litre[1] water bag on the rear rack (under the rack bag, if I'm using it) via a homebrew arrangement of connectors and PVC tube (Ortlieb do a kit, but it's rubbish).  I have a cunning arrangement of bastard-strong magnets to hold the free end of the tube to the underside of the seat when not in use.  There isn't really room for this on the Baron, due to the lack of space between the rack and the wheel for the plumbing.

So what I did, after getting bored with only being able to drink after getting off the bike, was hack the valve off an old leaky water bottle, and attach an appropriate set of connectors, tubing and pressure-relief valve (you can just see a hint of blue at the base of the headrest mount).  So my existing tube screws to the connector on the bottle, does a loop-the-loop of the bottle cage to take up some slack[2], and the free end magnetically attaches to the underside of the seat on the left, around about the position of the second return idler.  While riding along I can reach down, pull the tube free, drink from it, and when finished offer it back to the magnet which will snatch it back and hold it in place.  Sorted.

A bidon only holds 750ml, so there's a normal one on the right hand side which you can see in this picture.  I can swap lids when the first one empties, or drink from this directly when off the bike.  (That's a spare HPVelotechnik seat[3] that happened to have already been drilled for bottle cages, so I thought I'd attach some and see how well they worked - the cage positions weren't chosen with that bike in mind, but it is probably the most aerodynamic and skog-free place to put them.)

I've not ridden an M5 (would be interesting to try, but the only ones I've met in the flesh have been set up for tall people) but the Baron's certainly a lot twitchier than the SMGT tourer that I'm used to (something which applies to about 90% of bicycles, thobut).  That said, it's also a *lot* better at cornering, less well equipped for carrying luggage and comedy off-roading, and a fair bit faster :)  After about 350km, I'd say I'm now at the point where I'm not feeling unsafe on it, though I still make embarrassing mistakes like trying to set off in too high a gear, and I'm still not 100% sure about the headrest position - am currently leaving it where it is and seeing if my shoulder muscles get used to it.

[1] Enough for overnight camping.  I don't normally put more than 1.5 litres in it at a time for riding.
[2] The tube is long enough to drink from while sitting upright on a stationary Streetmachine.
[3] The Baron's seat turned out to be too big for me.

ElyDave

« Reply #8271 on: 19 September, 2016, 08:52:57 pm »
I'll post some close ups of my solution at some point, using a second hand Alpkit koala and a 2l bladder.  I may look out some magnets though if I can as your idea sounds good. I accidentally sat on my bite valve yesterday and got a wet back.

I'm in a similar position on the M5, 400km in and just getting the hang of it, but still need to focus on gear down at the stop and then the restart

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8272 on: 19 September, 2016, 09:02:02 pm »
Changing down while braking is occasionally challenging.  On the SMGT I have bar-end shifters, so in anything but an emergency can crash down the cassette in one swift motion and then go to the brake.  The Baron's got trigger shifters (which I like on my upwrongs), and they work well in general use, but this does necessarily result in having to do a couple of pumps of the thumb lever while simultaneously applying the brake with the same hand - a skill I'm still developing.

(Yes, I suppose I could swap the front and rear brakes and avoid this issue, but that's asking for even greater trouble.  And I'd like to avoid twist-grips on general principle.)

It's also a bigger faff to get it into a rideable state after an emergency stop:  If you stop the SMGT in too high a gear, you can dismount, put the kickstand down, then use the handlebar to lift the rear wheel (balancing the bike on the front wheel and stand) and operate the shifter while turning the cranks to put it in a sensible gear.  With the Baron there's no way that anyone other than Mr Tickle could lift the rear wheel while reaching the cranks, so unless you have a glamorous assistant the only reasonable option is to click a couple of gears against a stationary transmission, then wheel the bike forward by the steerer while turning the crank, and repeat until it ends up in something reasonable.  For the full effect this should be done after failing to get started twice, in front of an audience of giggling teenagers.

ElyDave

« Reply #8273 on: 19 September, 2016, 09:50:35 pm »
Changing down while braking is occasionally challenging.  On the SMGT I have bar-end shifters, so in anything but an emergency can crash down the cassette in one swift motion and then go to the brake.  The Baron's got trigger shifters (which I like on my upwrongs), and they work well in general use, but this does necessarily result in having to do a couple of pumps of the thumb lever while simultaneously applying the brake with the same hand - a skill I'm still developing.

(Yes, I suppose I could swap the front and rear brakes and avoid this issue, but that's asking for even greater trouble.  And I'd like to avoid twist-grips on general principle.)

It's also a bigger faff to get it into a rideable state after an emergency stop:  If you stop the SMGT in too high a gear, you can dismount, put the kickstand down, then use the handlebar to lift the rear wheel (balancing the bike on the front wheel and stand) and operate the shifter while turning the cranks to put it in a sensible gear.  With the Baron there's no way that anyone other than Mr Tickle could lift the rear wheel while reaching the cranks, so unless you have a glamorous assistant the only reasonable option is to click a couple of gears against a stationary transmission, then wheel the bike forward by the steerer while turning the crank, and repeat until it ends up in something reasonable.  For the full effect this should be done after failing to get started twice, in front of an audience of giggling teenagers.
[/b]

BTDT ::-)

Chris N

« Reply #8274 on: 20 September, 2016, 01:21:30 pm »
What's that rack thingy?  I've a similar shaped bag to that but no way to mount it

Carradice Bagman 2.  I don't think they make it anymore, but you can still get the older style 'original' Bagman.