Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2468021 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #8550 on: 29 March, 2017, 08:05:18 pm »
All three are nice bikes and I like the way for each bike you've shown us the same table in a different state.  :)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #8551 on: 29 March, 2017, 09:38:58 pm »
I'm new here, not the best photo, but here's my main steed, an 8 year-old racing green Hewitt Cheviot SE, it's just had new DT Swiss TK540 rims (had the same on before, but wore them out in 3 years, as my commute involves quite a hill...) and a Hope RS4 rear hub (replacing a cracked Hope Pro 3). Has 10 speed Campag shifters and a 9 speed Shimano XT/SLX groupset, it works.

When new it looked like this, I've changed a few things around since then:

I also have a racing green Brompton M6R-X on order (with -12% gearing), which I should be getting in a few weeks, will post a photo!

Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #8552 on: 29 March, 2017, 10:12:21 pm »
Nice.  My Hewitt Cheviot SE is not yet 6 years old.  Wow, time flies!
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8553 on: 29 March, 2017, 10:15:30 pm »
Proper bikes, those.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #8554 on: 29 March, 2017, 10:50:07 pm »
Proper bikes, those.   :thumbsup:

Thanks, I've been very pleased with it, it's super comfy to ride and just seems to eat up the miles on a long tour. Paintwork still looks almost like new,except a few places where I dinged it (but still no rust!). Still on the original SON dynohub, but had to get it serviced about 4 years ago, think it was still under warranty, though! :-)

« Reply #8555 on: 29 March, 2017, 11:06:53 pm »
Good choice of bike, I've been lovin mine since 2003
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=17.msg82350#msg82350

Though it looks a little different now
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=17.msg2121478#msg2121478

« Reply #8556 on: 31 March, 2017, 03:33:02 pm »
All three are nice bikes and I like the way for each bike you've shown us the same table in a different state.  :)

They were actually all pictures of our table from the family photo album, I just had to search for ones that happened to have the bikes in them ;-)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #8557 on: 04 April, 2017, 08:26:28 pm »

Here's 'Olive'  out on a little spring jolly.

« Reply #8558 on: 08 April, 2017, 05:17:14 pm »
My new steed, Racing Green Bromton M6R-X (with -12% gearing), just picked this up today, though the lights aren't fully setup yet (I had to drop my Hewitt Cheviot SE off for a repair, so collected this before it was fully ready so that I have something to ride in the meantime). A little brother/sister for my Hewitt.

Couldn't resist putting my favourite lights and dynamo on it (on the rear will go a 50mm B&M Toplight Line Plus https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/lighting/busch-muller-toplight-line-plus-rear-dynamo-light/):

Anodised Silver Schmit Edelux II:

Son XS "Classic" dynohub:

Saddle is temporary (standard Brompton), will probably get either a rust cambium Brooks C17, a honey or brown B17 (maybe Ti...) or a Gilles Berthoud Aravis or Aspin, like on my Hewitt touring bike...

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #8559 on: 08 April, 2017, 06:35:15 pm »
 :thumbsup:
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #8560 on: 09 April, 2017, 09:53:40 am »
A recent buy on the bay.  Said to be "from the collection of Peter Gordon" who was a successful racer in the 60s and early 70s - was Nat Amateur Road Champ in 64 and was selected for the Tokyo Olympics in that year.  He sadly died last November.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/141591263@N05/P4tM15

A very tidy bike overall but I couldn't resist pulling it to bits.  The components are all pretty good and appear to just about match the original spec (I have catalogue from 1990 where it appears).  Chrome is in v good order.  The paintwork is well marked and feels a bit "thin" if you understand me, and the decals feel prominent as though never varnished over.  I definitely feel a respray coming on - perhaps in the rather fetching pink as shown in the brochure.  I find its current paint job ("Creation G") a wee bit "G for gaudy"!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #8561 on: 09 April, 2017, 10:08:22 am »
Sounds like an interesting bike but "andyesse hasn't made any photos public yet."
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #8562 on: 09 April, 2017, 10:44:09 am »
A reintroduction to old friends:

Blue the 1980? Carlton (Corsa?).

Whsh the 1981 Woodrup (Giro?)

Close up of Whsh's lovely cluster

Reg the 1951 Rudge Pathfinder

Romeo the 1980s Rudge Bi-Frame

And my tourer/commuter/workhorse/fun bike:  Swiftsure the 1996 Orbit Silver medal

Just been on Page 1 - A lovely collection :)

« Reply #8563 on: 09 April, 2017, 03:15:25 pm »
I think andyesse has succeeded in making his pics pblic!  Whadya think?

https://www.flickr.com/gp/141591263@N05/P4tM15

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #8564 on: 09 April, 2017, 04:25:54 pm »
We have a winner!

The Shimano Sante group looks in good nick too. The powdercoat finish can get damaged fairly easily but functionally it is equal to Ultegra.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #8565 on: 10 April, 2017, 08:18:07 am »
Yes,we do have a winner - of a slow bicycle race!  Thanks LW&B.  The Sante group is in pretty good order - the usual small scars on the brake levers and new hoods needed but other than that OK.  And the original biopace rings have been replace by round ones which suits me actually. Also a Campag BB has found its way onboard at some time but no complaints there either.  The pedals are not original either, they seem a bit clunky MTB type (apologies to MTB riders).  Will probably change for original Shimano "Look 6401s" if I can source a good pair at reasonable price, or there are modern white Shimano versions which wouldset off the Sante set.

Updates will be posted.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8566 on: 10 April, 2017, 04:25:04 pm »
A reintroduction to old friends:

Blue the 1980? Carlton (Corsa?).

Whsh the 1981 Woodrup (Giro?)

Close up of Whsh's lovely cluster

Reg the 1951 Rudge Pathfinder

Romeo the 1980s Rudge Bi-Frame

And my tourer/commuter/workhorse/fun bike:  Swiftsure the 1996 Orbit Silver medal

Just been on Page 1 - A lovely collection :)

:(

So...

Blue went to TGL, but he didn't ride it much, and it ended up being a bit neglected.  Needs 'refreshing'.  I used him as a station bike for a while when I was working in Bexley, but sidepull brakes don't suit me very well.  Will get a respray & rebuild with subtle dps.

Whsh is still 'for best', but, what with bairns, lack of fitness etc, I don't think she's turned a wheel for over a year :'(

Reg turned out to be too small for me, and was passed on to Butterfly as her first (and, so far, only) fixed :thumbsup:

Romeo was sold on when we were short of space.  Kinda miss his quirky ways.

Swiftsure was...sob...sob...murdered by some badly designed and maintqained street furniture :'( :'( :'(  I've only just been able to scrap the frame.  Swiftsure has not really been replaced.

However, it's not all bad!  I now have Ilya the three-speed fixed Ridgeback Solo, a Ridgeback Romany 'interim tourer' (which has proved hard to dislike - despite the *gasp* non-Reynolds tubing :o - and covered many happy miles in the last few years), and 'Bob' the Bob Jackson fixed, built by the marvellous John's Bikes of Middleton.

Most miles go onto the two Ridgebacks, just from practicality.
Getting there...

« Reply #8567 on: 10 April, 2017, 06:22:06 pm »
Frame respray is back from Bob Jackson, and looking rather lovely:

https://goo.gl/photos/RKua7ibaVsyQYinKA

Itching to get it built up again but should probably let the paint cure for a couple​ of weeks...

Samuel D

« Reply #8568 on: 11 April, 2017, 07:17:28 am »
That does look promising, Jakob. Is that a frame you’ve had for a while?

Nice to see the return of Olive too, upthread. She made it through winter.

« Reply #8569 on: 11 April, 2017, 09:03:42 am »
Yes; it's a frame I bought from Brucey OTP a couple of years ago. As far as I know it's a 1980s Eclipse 'Routier' in 531ST. It's slightly short in the top tube for me (58cm on a 62cm frame), necessitating a very long stem, but it rides so nicely I reckoned it was worth spending the money to replace the very tired paint.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #8570 on: 11 April, 2017, 01:13:54 pm »

Nice to see the return of Olive too, upthread. She made it through winter.

Hi, yes she did, now with campag veloce bb,crankset,front / rear mech, new H+ son tb14 rims, disc son28 dyno, new shimano rear hub., and of course the good old shwalbe spicers, now a gnats whisker off 4000km,each. All the above Campag kit, and tyres came off Blodwyn RIP. Not much of the original bike there at all now. :D

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #8571 on: 11 April, 2017, 03:49:49 pm »
Yes; it's a frame I bought from Brucey OTP a couple of years ago. As far as I know it's a 1980s Eclipse 'Routier' in 531ST. It's slightly short in the top tube for me (58cm on a 62cm frame), necessitating a very long stem, but it rides so nicely I reckoned it was worth spending the money to replace the very tired paint.

A bit like the frame I got from Torslanda, it always feels a bit small when I get on it having ridden my other bike but I soon readjust and it rides beautifully.  Plus, it's been comfy enough on rides up 70ish miles.

« Reply #8572 on: 11 April, 2017, 04:52:45 pm »
My Allegro frame (see above) has gone off for refinishing.  I've chosen powder coat for it, mainly due to cost of respray is a bit beyond my means... Colorcote Norfolk are doing the work for £50, and it's the full works despite the excellent cost.  I used them last year for a Revell Rapide (now sold to a very happy chappy) and their work was amazing.  They do a lot of jobs for Lotus Cars who are near them, so they're well thought of.  You may inspect the colour here:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/141591263@N05/vR5N01

It's the big blue blob...Pantone 312c...just for the main tubes because the chrome is in such good order.

Re: Members' bikes - Caveat Emptor!
« Reply #8573 on: 15 April, 2017, 11:17:04 am »
So, before leaving the Allegro frame with the powder coater I had a peer down the tube to spot the helical reinforcements that are a feature of Columbus SLX...but there are none.  So if not SLX therefore not a "76 Champion du Monde", what the hell had I bought?

Browsing the 1990 catalogue again I find a model "78A Prestige" which looks exactly like the SLX tubed model - complete with chrome rear triangle and forks and with a near identical spec - but it's made of Columbus Aelle 8/10 which of course is plain gauge Carbon Manganese alloy and weighs in around 380gm more per set than SLX.  I think therefore this is what I have.  I'm not bothered by the extra weight (i could lose a bit of belly after all!) but I guess I should have asked more questions as to why the Columbus decals were absent...
https://www.flickr.com/gp/141591263@N05/rM235u

And the refurb is still going ahead so will keep posting as it progresses.

« Reply #8574 on: 15 April, 2017, 07:34:40 pm »

A neglected Dahon Boardwalk that i resurrected and added some things too. It can do long distances, i have found. Provided i learn to ride it a bit more relaxed than my big wheel bikes. And the foam on the handlebars needs to go.