Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2469446 times)

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #4425 on: 10 May, 2011, 10:47:44 pm »
Ta.

It's a nice green, & not too different from the old one.

Some time in the 1990s I met a car on a bend when I was going down a hill in Normandy, behind the place I'd been staying in for the previous week. I knew the hill by then, & had never seen a car on it (rural France - very quiet roads), so was, perhaps, a little faster than was wise on a road with crap sight lines.

Pure reflex, dunno how I got past. I swear I skittered sideways. But Roberts went exactly where pointed, with no fuss, & damn quick too. No thinking about whether to change direction for a while, no getting flighty & over-reacting to my twitching, just did what I wanted. I was pleased.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #4426 on: 11 May, 2011, 04:09:09 pm »
Just fettled on a new set of Nitto Randos and some bar tape to match the seat (you'd think they'd make them the same colour seeing as they're the same make  ::-))

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #4427 on: 11 May, 2011, 04:32:20 pm »
^^^^

Lovely indeed.

But, yes, it is annoying when a company makes products that don't quite match up with each other.....
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #4428 on: 11 May, 2011, 05:23:36 pm »
It's actually less obvious in the flesh, the camera software that "fixes" the pictures has made it slightly worse I reckon.

But still...

corshamjim

« Reply #4429 on: 11 May, 2011, 06:49:11 pm »
I do like that Holdsworth.  Lovely blue colour ... downtube shifters ...  I can't think of anything not to like.

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #4430 on: 11 May, 2011, 07:13:12 pm »
I have a thing for old restored bikes. Gotta say the Roberts & the Holdsworth look fantastic.  Not sure which one I like the most ?

A few points though. The hoods/Brake levers on both bikes want dropping about 25mm, or is it your prefered riding positions ?

Also the valves on the innner tubes are to long on both bikes. I think it's a trend thing at the moment having loooong valves on wheel sets
Same as on one of my bikes  :)  It just looks wrong.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #4431 on: 11 May, 2011, 07:31:52 pm »
A few points though. The hoods/Brake levers on both bikes want dropping about 25mm, or is it your prefered riding positions ?

I agree with you there, also the drops should be 5-10 degrees from horizontal, not 30 degrees. It spoils the look of an otherwise classic-looking steel frame for me I'm afraid!

It seems so common now, but I can't help thinking it arises from bad fit.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #4432 on: 11 May, 2011, 07:41:15 pm »

I fitted the hoods level with the tops of the bars to give a more-or-less contiguous surface (from the first bend to the lever) for my hands to rest upon. The bars are then rotated towards the rider a few degrees as this is more ergonomic than rotating my wrists downwards to match the contact surface. Fit the task to the man, not the other way round!

Also the valves on the innner tubes are to long on both bikes. I think it's a trend thing at the moment having loooong valves on wheel sets
Same as on one of my bikes  :)  It just looks wrong.

That's just the way they come. Life's too short to worry about such things :).
Pen Pusher

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #4433 on: 11 May, 2011, 07:47:48 pm »

I agree with you there, also the drops should be 5-10 degrees from horizontal, not 30 degrees. It spoils the look of an otherwise classic-looking steel frame for me I'm afraid!

It seems so common now, but I can't help thinking it arises from bad fit.

Or bikes were poorly set up in the past and owners are now realising there is another way?

At the risk of coming across slightly brusque, I don't give a stuff about what is "right", "common", or "classic". It's my bike and I built it the way I want it. You can have your bike the way you want it  :P.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #4434 on: 11 May, 2011, 07:54:26 pm »
Tasty Holdsworth.

It seems so common now, but I can't help thinking it arises from bad fit

I agree that that's sometimes the cause.

But generally I think the trend towards level tops or even a bit of an upslope going up to the hoods arose because lots of people have had early bike experience with using bar ends on flat bars and then replicate that with the tops of drop bars. It's a comfortable position.

As demonstrated during a bike fitting last year:
Sit on a chair. Lean forward as if you are on bike with your arms by your sides, hanging naturally, palms inwards. Swing your arms forward until they are about where your bars would be. For most people your hand position there is roughly similar to a bar-end on a MTB / flat or slightly upsloping tops on the drops.

Doosh - don't fret about the colour difference as that bike is crying out for a Brooks saddle anyway  :)

« Reply #4435 on: 11 May, 2011, 08:31:09 pm »
I've got a Brooks on the hack bike/shopper and I'm not 100% convinced, it seemed comfortable to start with but recently I've felt a bit of pinching on the inner thigh area. Plus the Spoon is cheap and well reviewed so I thought I'd give one a try for the sake of £20.

As for the bars/valves- To be honest the frame is probably a bit big for me, although when I put my dimensions into most of the basic calculators I get 57cm for a horizontal top tubed frame and that is what the Holdsworth is. So I must have either odd length legs, torso or arms. If/when I get a bit fitter and leaner I might level them off a bit, but at the minute they feel best where they are so that's where they're staying as I want as little 'ramp' to the hoods as I can get at present as that feels most comfortable.

Valves? meh, they're for putting air in.  I just fitted the tubes, couldn't give a stuff as to what length the valves are and I didn't even know you could get different length valves, are some people that shallow?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4436 on: 11 May, 2011, 09:08:27 pm »
That Holdsworth is lovely.  Don't like the brown bar tape, but it ain't my bike
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4437 on: 11 May, 2011, 11:21:18 pm »
Valves? meh, they're for putting air in.  I just fitted the tubes, couldn't give a stuff as to what length the valves are and I didn't even know you could get different length valves, are some people that shallow?
But you need to align the valves with the label on the tyres and colour-match the valve cap to the sidewalls!  :o
 ;)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4438 on: 12 May, 2011, 11:58:44 am »
I have a thing for old restored bikes. Gotta say the Roberts & the Holdsworth look fantastic. 
I find it slightly disconcerting to read 'old restored bike' as a description of a bike I bought new & was riding until summer 2009, but I suppose that a 1993 bike is now old enough to qualify - and it's certainly been restored.

Still got the original brakes & seatpost, but I'd replaced the entire drivetrain & wheels several years before selling it. The original Shimano cranks live on: Mrs B has them on her road bike.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #4439 on: 12 May, 2011, 12:26:47 pm »

At the risk of coming across slightly brusque, I don't give a stuff about what is "right", "common", or "classic". It's my bike and I built it the way I want it. You can have your bike the way you want it  :P.

Well said that man  :thumbsup:

The recent Thorn, Roberts & Holdsworth bikes are all bloomin lovely.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #4440 on: 12 May, 2011, 01:02:55 pm »
First time I'd ridden that Holdsworth was today, it rides beautifully and I want to retract that I think it's too big. As it's set up in that picture it's very comfortable and added 2mph to my average speed and knocked 5-6 minutes off my best time for a short local loop I do when I'm short on time.

My first proper road bike and I love it!

« Reply #4441 on: 15 May, 2011, 07:47:39 am »

Added padding to the ¨roll bars¨ on our trike (they are just to support the hood). The hoops are bolted in, and pretty thick, so you could get a hearty bump off them. The kids are too small to bump them now, but they are growing quickly. I can also confirm that the padding also makes a nice headrest for grown-ups.

« Reply #4442 on: 18 May, 2011, 10:10:46 pm »
I have a new bike!

It is an on-one inbred. Mostly it is standard on-one build bits, with Mary bars, because they look comfy and I’ve swapped to a Brooks saddle, because I like them. The plan is to use it as a straight mountain bike (my old trek staying as commuter and family ride bike) and roughstuff tourer, hence the barbag and choice of frame which takes a rack around disc brakes with minimal hassle. I’ve yet to find time for actually riding it beyond a quick go up and down the street, but here are some unpacking and setting up pictures. (click for bigness)

« Reply #4443 on: 18 May, 2011, 10:17:36 pm »
I have a new bike!

It is an on-one inbred. Mostly it is standard on-one build bits, with Mary bars, because they look comfy and I’ve swapped to a Brooks saddle, because I like them. The plan is to use it as a straight mountain bike (my old trek staying as commuter and family ride bike) and roughstuff tourer, hence the barbag and choice of frame which takes a rack around disc brakes with minimal hassle. I’ve yet to find time for actually riding it beyond a quick go up and down the street, but here are some unpacking and setting up pictures.

Very nice  :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4444 on: 18 May, 2011, 10:25:15 pm »
Cool.  Hope you have loads of fun :)
Getting there...

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #4445 on: 19 May, 2011, 09:54:52 am »
I have a new bike!

It is an on-one inbred. Mostly it is standard on-one build bits, with Mary bars, because they look comfy and I’ve swapped to a Brooks saddle, because I like them. The plan is to use it as a straight mountain bike (my old trek staying as commuter and family ride bike) and roughstuff tourer, hence the barbag and choice of frame which takes a rack around disc brakes with minimal hassle. I’ve yet to find time for actually riding it beyond a quick go up and down the street, but here are some unpacking and setting up pictures.

My missus has one (hers is an Inbred 456), and she loves it. I hope you enjoy yours as much!

border-rider

« Reply #4446 on: 19 May, 2011, 09:02:46 pm »
The Harry Hall in Bryan Chapman 600 mode last week.  I must admit I took Alouicious's advice and swapped the 52 outer ring for a 42.  I was never under-geared.

I was amazed how comfortable this bike is.  Old Skool 531, but there's just no road buzz and even cattle grids and potholes are just soaked up.  It's got skinny 25 tyres, but rides more smoothly than the Ti bikes with 32 mm tyres.  Climbs like a pallet of spuds though :)

« Reply #4447 on: 19 May, 2011, 09:06:40 pm »
Sluverly
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4448 on: 19 May, 2011, 09:11:52 pm »

I was amazed how comfortable this bike is.  Old Skool 531, but there's just no road buzz and even cattle grids and potholes are just soaked up.  It's got skinny 25 tyres, but rides more smoothly than the Ti bikes with 32 mm tyres.  Climbs like a pallet of spuds though :)

that text applies equally so to my Longstaff.

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #4449 on: 19 May, 2011, 09:22:16 pm »
The Harry Hall in Bryan Chapman 600 mode last week.  I must admit I took Alouicious's advice and swapped the 52 outer ring for a 42.  I was never under-geared.

Hi
I nearly purchased a Harry Hall frame very similar or the same as this last year when I was in Harry Halls shop. In the end I just replaced the same frame as the one that got stolen. So is this frame from 2010 ? I know Harrys have been building frames for years though nowadays there imported from somewhere else. They stopped building frames sometime in the 1990's I think ? This was one of the things that put me off. Wasn't cheap though the Harry Hall frame n fork, I think it was over £650