Author Topic: Fettled any computer stuff today?  (Read 219758 times)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: Fettled any computer stuff today?
« Reply #750 on: 14 January, 2017, 05:51:44 pm »
Roundcube is fully fettled now, and we have webmail over http on IPv4 and IPv6.

I'll set up https later.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #751 on: 14 January, 2017, 07:45:41 pm »
Afasos,

What make of switches do you use?  I'm 100% with you on all the security & privacy points you make and would like to improve my setup.  My pc & laptop protect me but I'd like to start introducing network level measures.  Blocking of shitware, tracking & privacy invading domains for my company gear SSID & VLAN, a less restricted SSID & VLAN for Mrs tweens PC & our (untrustable) androids plus a guest SSID.

I've been looking at the Draytek gear.  I'm pretty sure the L2+ managed switch, access points and router will give me the multiple SSID & VLAN segregation I'm after but one of my access points would be in another building over a power line link.  I'm struggling to the grasp how fully 8 port 'smart' switch would extend the full features of the 24 port L2+.

2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #752 on: 14 January, 2017, 08:56:33 pm »
*grope* *sneeze* *fsck* *repeat*

Time for a new UPS then.  Old one didn't owe us anything, as it was dumpster-dived in 2003.  It had one new set of batteries in that time.

I'll welcome something that weighs less than I do and can communicate with monitoring software by some sort of standard protocol.

Feanor

« Reply #753 on: 14 January, 2017, 09:02:10 pm »
I binned my APC UPS some years back, on the basis that it was less reliable than the supply it was backing up.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #754 on: 14 January, 2017, 09:12:19 pm »
I binned my APC UPS some years back, on the basis that it was less reliable than the supply it was backing up.

APCs are brilliant for that, aren't they?  It's that weekly "let's switch to battery for a bit to make sure it still works" logic.

So you get a random *clunk* *bzzzzzzzzzzzzz* *clunk* now and then, which is fine, if a bit alarming.

Until one day it goes *clunk* *bzzBEEEP!* *whirrrr* *birdsong and tumbleweed*

And you switch it back on, and it shrugs and doesn't know what happened there, so you reboot everything, and then a week later it decides to switch to battery to make sure it still works...

That's assuming it doesn't overcharge the battery and gas you with sulphuric acid, first.

Pile of crap.

(The UPS I'm retiring is a 3kVA Chloride PowerLan thing that doesn't go in for that sort of rubbish, but in the absence of the proprietary unobtanium monitoring software, there isn't an easy way to tell whether the battery's b0rked until it's actually needed.)

Afasoas

« Reply #755 on: 15 January, 2017, 11:32:51 am »
Afasos,

What make of switches do you use?  I'm 100% with you on all the security & privacy points you make and would like to improve my setup.  My pc & laptop protect me but I'd like to start introducing network level measures.  Blocking of shitware, tracking & privacy invading domains for my company gear SSID & VLAN, a less restricted SSID & VLAN for Mrs tweens PC & our (untrustable) androids plus a guest SSID.

I've been looking at the Draytek gear.  I'm pretty sure the L2+ managed switch, access points and router will give me the multiple SSID & VLAN segregation I'm after but one of my access points would be in another building over a power line link.  I'm struggling to the grasp how fully 8 port 'smart' switch would extend the full features of the 24 port L2+.

I don't like Draytek gear. It's  both a little spendy and IMHO a bit rubbish.
I have an ancient TP-LINK WA-801ND Wireless Access Point I bought from a boot sale for a fiver. It's a v1 fortunately because the v2 & v3 are allegedly less reliable. The v1's are rectangular in design:

+ve
Multiple SSIDs and vLANs. So each SSID is configured to use a different vLAN.
Despite being ancient, it still works
Unlike a lot of cheap kit, I never need to restart it
External antennas with standard fitment - I've replaced the ones on mine with some slightly higher gain alternatives so a single access point covers the whole house

-ve
I'd never expose it to the internet
No IPv6
2.4Ghz only (not dual band)

I've currently got a TP-LINK T1600G-28TS (TL-SG2424) Layer 2+ smart switch, which again I'd never make accessible from the internet but has a lot of features and a responsive webgui (+CLI) at quite an affordable price

This is passing the tagged traffic from the Wireless Access Point to pfSense. Each tagged vLAN in pfSense presents out as a different interface and thus can have custom set of rules. pfSense also takes care of DHCP and DNS on the guest/public/media WiFi networks - although it's possible for it to act as a DNS/DHCP forwarder instead. The only downside with this switch is that it doesn't seem possible to set a gateway on it's management interface, so it's difficult to manage it via VPN from work etc.

pfSense is running virtualised under QEMU/KVM on my Ubuntu server. There is an Intel Pro 1000 VT quad port network adapter in the server which has all it's ports passed through to pfSense, which is better than bridging a virtual network adapter on the host OS. They can be picked up for about £15 on eBay.

For the main trusted network, my home server is running BIND 9.x with a restricted policy zone (RPZ) ... There are various sources on-line of domains used for propogating spam, advertising and malware. I have a cron job that runs once a week, downloads a couple of lists, parses them and updates the RPZ. TBH it could do with a bit more love and attention from me as it's not currently blocking all unwanted content - some advertising networks work whist others don't.

What I've done doesn't really present a full Unified Threat Management solution (UTM) as it doesn't prevent anyone from downloading malware or provide phishing protection in email etc. ...it's possible for me to provide some of that funcationality by adding squid, clamav to pfSense (see for example: https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=72528.0). The trouble is, doing this for encrypted (https) traffic means effectively running a man-in-the-middle attack. And that means pushing out a root CA to all the clients (PCs, tables, phones) in order to get them to trust the https connection between their browsers and the pfSense proxy.

I might rebuild my virtual pfSense box with more RAM and disk space and experiment with running Snort/Squid/ClamAV at some point.

Afasoas

« Reply #756 on: 15 January, 2017, 11:38:08 am »
(The UPS I'm retiring is a 3kVA Chloride PowerLan thing that doesn't go in for that sort of rubbish, but in the absence of the proprietary unobtanium monitoring software, there isn't an easy way to tell whether the battery's b0rked until it's actually needed.)

3kVA? That's quite hefty.
I've got a CyberPower which isn't dissimilar to this:
https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/product/ups/cp1350pfclcd/

They provide a package for Debian/Ubuntu (pwrstatd) which allows one to monitor, manually trigger tests etc. and script up stuff on power fail/low battery scenarios.

Looking for a rackmount replacement at some point. It's form factor is a bit silly in it's current installation.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #757 on: 15 January, 2017, 02:43:37 pm »

3kVA? That's quite hefty.

It's a real beast.  Proper dual-conversion thing that's very polite to the batteries.  Even with half the intended batteries fitted I can barely lift it.  I think we boiled a kettle with it once.  Best skip-dive item ever.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #758 on: 16 January, 2017, 09:49:47 am »
I'll be fettling my old-linux-pc-hooked-up-to-the-telly Kodi box later today, seeing as I got peed off with NowTV pulling programs before I finished watching them...  Hopefully I'll still be able to watch episode 10 of Westworld.....

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #759 on: 16 January, 2017, 05:38:12 pm »
Kodi working much better now i installed a vpn.  Just need to tweak the nvidia driver settings in linux mint, as there is some screen tearing as if the video is out of sync. But at least ive cut the cord, so to speak

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #760 on: 24 January, 2017, 09:53:44 pm »
I replaced the jet engine fans in the UPS with some nice quiet ones.  This was annoying because it meant powering everything down, extracting the UPS and then removing a zillion screws to get the cover off, before arsing about crimping non-standard connectors to the fans to suit those on the PCB.

It was even more annoying when this promptly invoked a fan failure alarm.

Interestingly, these are two-wire fans, so it's not sensing them by the traditional tachometer method.  I tried experimenting with a shunt resistor to bring the load of the quiet fans up to that of the originals, and blowing extra air over the board with one of the originals powered from elsewhere, but neither seemed to help.

So I gave up and installed some medium-loud fans that I had previously removed from a server, on the basis they were still an improvement.  This worked long enough for me to decide all was well, reassemble the ups, return it to the rack, boot everything back up and go to the shops in search of milk.

When I got back it was screaming about fan failure.

So I've had to re-fit the originals.   >:(

Not sure what to try next.  I guess it's sensing the fan RPM via ripple on the supply or something clever, which means I need to try to find a broadly similar spec fan that's less loud.  Joy.

ETA: Googling for the fan's model number brought up endless purveyors of cheap Chinese fans, and this: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/how-to-silence-an-unneeded-fan-but-one-that-must-keep-running.2485051/

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #761 on: 26 January, 2017, 07:41:03 pm »
Defettled the b0rked SuperDrive out of my iMac and refettled an unused SSD into the empty space. I got to use fancy Torx drivers and secret-squirrel suction cups. And it still works. It was great. Now I'm just waiting while macOS reinstalls on the SSD, then I'll have a ninja-fast computer!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #762 on: 28 January, 2017, 09:36:09 am »
Well yesterday, but following the CyanogenMod meltdown, I was looking for an alternative ROM for the ageing (2012) Nexus & Wifi tablet.  Running out-of-date Android Security patches is not a good place to be unless you want to join a few botnets.

I was a bit disappointed that although the tablet was supported under CyanogenMod, it is not going to be on the successor LineageOS.

However, I installed a LineageOS Nougat "unofficial" build (read unsupported) from XDA (https://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-7/development/rom-lineageos-14-1-nexus-7-2012-t3530261).

Like magic the Nexus 7 has become responsive and usable again.  Probably the first time since Google upgraded it from KitKat.  Obviously a 5 year old device is not going to be as fast as the latest and greatest but more than adequate for my needs.

I was so enthused that I even followed the build guide on the XDA thread and created my own up-to-date ROM.  Open source rocks - independence at last!

Anyone else still using the Nexus 7?

Afasoas

« Reply #763 on: 28 January, 2017, 12:52:47 pm »
I've tied the rack up a bit.

The brix has gone. The NUC on the top left is now doubling up as a development web server and Linux ISO seed box.
The yellow cables are the DMZ I've recently added.

The top server is the main server, so has storage (ZFS), runs DHCP, BIND etc. and also runs virtualised pfSense, hence the extra fully utilized NIC.
The bottom server is the backup server, hence it's dormant state.

The whole stack is currently on Ubuntu 14.05 ... I want to migrate it all to Debian. So that probably means adding a third box which, post migration I'll use as a hypervisor for lab duties.
Or pimping out the backup server with more RAM, a better CPU with virtualisation extensions and another NIC so that I can rebuild it on Debian and migrate services over from the main server (including pfSense), rebuild the main server and then migrate everything back. Then the backup server can double up as a hypervisor for lab work.

The latter option means less expense, but means hypervising with QEMU/KVM rather than ESXI.

Of course, if I didn't have internal customers, I could just tear it all down and start again.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #764 on: 28 January, 2017, 12:57:11 pm »
Well yesterday, but following the CyanogenMod meltdown, I was looking for an alternative ROM for the ageing (2012) Nexus & Wifi tablet.  Running out-of-date Android Security patches is not a good place to be unless you want to join a few botnets.

I was a bit disappointed that although the tablet was supported under CyanogenMod, it is not going to be on the successor LineageOS.

However, I installed a LineageOS Nougat "unofficial" build (read unsupported) from XDA (https://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-7/development/rom-lineageos-14-1-nexus-7-2012-t3530261).

Like magic the Nexus 7 has become responsive and usable again.  Probably the first time since Google upgraded it from KitKat.  Obviously a 5 year old device is not going to be as fast as the latest and greatest but more than adequate for my needs.

I was so enthused that I even followed the build guide on the XDA thread and created my own up-to-date ROM.  Open source rocks - independence at last!

Well if I try what you have done, maybe I will be able to use it again.  I've got nothing to lose, as its bloody useless at the moment, and lives in a drawer.
Wombat

« Reply #765 on: 28 January, 2017, 03:04:20 pm »

Yes. Actually I'll use this as an excuse to start a break-out thread, rather than take this one off topic.

Feanor

« Reply #766 on: 28 January, 2017, 09:46:09 pm »
Had to sort out some issues between Junior's laptop from Edinburgh and one of my Linux servers.
He's home for the weekend, so it was an IT fest with his laptop.
( THe HP Microserver in the middle of the floor is the new Centos 7 Roudcube webmail machine, which is now hosting other stuffs for me, and the subject of this IT session.)

20170128_213428 by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #767 on: 28 January, 2017, 11:30:10 pm »
Is that a picture of a bum on the laptop?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #768 on: 28 January, 2017, 11:38:35 pm »
Looks like David Cameron's pr0n collection...

Feanor

« Reply #769 on: 29 January, 2017, 09:27:59 am »
It's a hippo.

Phil W

« Reply #770 on: 29 January, 2017, 09:36:55 am »
Until about 1909 it was thought that hippos were related to pigs. So the above comments are quite funny in context.

Feanor

« Reply #771 on: 29 January, 2017, 09:41:31 am »
Doh. I just had a closer look. It's a rhino.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #772 on: 29 January, 2017, 09:53:57 am »
Defettled the b0rked SuperDrive out of my iMac and refettled an unused SSD into the empty space. I got to use fancy Torx drivers and secret-squirrel suction cups. And it still works. It was great. Now I'm just waiting while macOS reinstalls on the SSD, then I'll have a ninja-fast computer!  :thumbsup:
Ooh, where did you get your secret-squirrel suction cups from? I'm going to be needing some to replace a Thinderbolt display glass that has cracked
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #773 on: 29 January, 2017, 10:42:15 am »
Having written a load of backup scripts and various other cron jobs for the central server raspberry pi, it's a good time to create some clones. Why does it take so long to copy a 16 GB card?

Reading is not too bad:
15931539456 bytes transferred in 1632.556495 secs (9758645 bytes/sec)

But writing the new ones is taking forever:
12722733056 bytes transferred in 5091.772678 secs (2498684 bytes/sec)
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #774 on: 29 January, 2017, 03:32:03 pm »
Having written a load of backup scripts and various other cron jobs for the central server raspberry pi, it's a good time to create some clones. Why does it take so long to copy a 16 GB card?

Reading is not too bad:
15931539456 bytes transferred in 1632.556495 secs (9758645 bytes/sec)

But writing the new ones is taking forever:
12722733056 bytes transferred in 5091.772678 secs (2498684 bytes/sec)

Normal for flash memory.