Author Topic: Sleep Apnoea  (Read 461 times)

Sleep Apnoea
« on: March 01, 2010, 05:33:57 pm »
I was diagnosed with this a year ago, was permanently tired and fell asleep very easily watching telly etc.. They said I would have to wear a mask and use a positive pressure machine every night for ever. Bummer. However last year I lost nearly 2 stone and my snoring disappeared (well went to normal person levels) and I was waking refreshed without the mask.
Over the last three months I have put on a bit of weight again (maybe half a stone - I'm blaming Christmas) and have started snoring hugely again and am feeling more tired. So it looks like it's a fine line between OK and not OK.
So no more chocolate for me and no more wine or beer during the week. I am also going to make a big effort to cycle more again after getting out of the habit after my off last summer (10 stitches in my head).
I am sort of posting this in case anyone else suffers from obstructive sleep apnoea to let them know that there is a strong possibility that simply loosing some weight may alleviate the symptoms completely but that they may have to loose quite a bit before they see any beneficial effects but not to give up as it seems that there is a magic weight that once you cross it you get great benefits.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.