Author Topic: England women's football team standard  (Read 785 times)

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
Re: England women's football team standard
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2019, 11:44:31 am »
A mate of mine commented recently that why would he want to watch wimmin's footie - the standard was not great.

I pointed out that he's had no problem watching Crystal Palace ALL his life, so since when did the quality concern him  :-D
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2019, 10:05:05 am »
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jun/05/toni-duggan-equality-footballl-england-barcelona-womens-world-cup
Passion in Spain but not in England.

(and yes that url really does say "footballll")
An ungovernable laughter, a joyous agitation which makes the summer stretching before you seem like an unrolling canvas on which you might draw those first rude pure strokes that are free. (Capote)

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2019, 12:56:01 pm »
She's right about the crowds at womens games in England - if they are large they are made up of a lot of kids.
One possible reason why they might be larger in Spain is that they aren't just football clubs - they have all sorts of other sports under the same banner (eg basketball). As a result, fans get used to supporting their club in many different endeavours, and bring that passion with them to the womens game. It's only recently that the big mens clubs in England have had womens teams at all (with the honourable exception of Arsenal, who have had one for ages). I know people who go to womens football and who go to mens football, but I don't know anyone who goes to both.

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2019, 01:54:21 pm »
So Spanish fans will see women's football as a new sport for their club, alongside (men's) football, basketball, volleyball, whatever? In that case it might be seen as new rather than alternative, a new sport in its own right rather than a version of the established men's game. I suppose.
An ungovernable laughter, a joyous agitation which makes the summer stretching before you seem like an unrolling canvas on which you might draw those first rude pure strokes that are free. (Capote)

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2019, 03:42:07 pm »
So Spanish fans will see women's football as a new sport for their club, alongside (men's) football, basketball, volleyball, whatever? In that case it might be seen as new rather than alternative, a new sport in its own right rather than a version of the established men's game. I suppose.
It's just a theory. ;)