Author Topic: [LEL17] What the chaffage?  (Read 6632 times)

Re: What the chaffage?
« Reply #25 on: 11 July, 2017, 08:20:21 pm »
I still think it's worth exploring what the true root cause might be given your previous chafe free rides, if it's never been a problem before something MUST have changed.  It could be as something as obvious as a change in laundry detergent or as subtle as the slightest change to you riding position. FWIW I like to benchmark the comfort of a bike setup by proving its comfort on rides up to 300km by wearing regular non-cycling specific shorts with pockets and a fly, worn over normal underpants.

The only obvious change is the Carradice on the back, but it doesn't touch my legs. And if I had changed position significantly I would expect all sorts of pain.

There are some foam edges sticking out around the assos chamois, that could be it. Trying to decide between a second pair of these and a SRT of castelli endurance once, the same as I used for 7 months touring last year.

« Reply #26 on: 14 July, 2017, 08:13:25 am »
Conotrane  is very much 'under the counter' ask your chemist - and you may have to ask  for the 100G tubes to be ordered.  :)
Apparently manufacturers have to pay to have  stuff put 'out front'
 +1 for  efficacy as a prophylactic  contains   silicones  and is  'slippery'

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #27 on: 14 July, 2017, 10:48:30 am »
Conotrane  is very much 'under the counter' ask your chemist - and you may have to ask  for the 100G tubes to be ordered.  :)
Apparently manufacturers have to pay to have  stuff put 'out front'
 +1 for  efficacy as a prophylactic  contains   silicones  and is  'slippery'

I had to ask for both Doublebase and Conotrane and the assistant had to ask if it was OK to sell me both of them at the same time.  I tried the Conotrane  out on a 60km ride this week and it worked well, but quite a short distance, 300km tonight will be the real test.

The 100g tube is the same size as the Doublebase but both are a bit too big to carry, it would be ace if they did it in the small 30g tubes like sudocrem, perfect for on bike carry and drop bags!
Regards,

Joergen

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #28 on: 14 July, 2017, 11:17:54 am »
Doublebase is what BC recommend.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #29 on: 14 July, 2017, 11:23:17 am »
The 100g tube is the same size as the Doublebase but both are a bit too big to carry, it would be ace if they did it in the small 30g tubes like sudocrem, perfect for on bike carry and drop bags!

A trick I learnt from an overseas cycling trip when I only had hand luggage with me on the flight and the chamois cream was above the 100ml limit - get a small empty cosmetics container for carrying the cream through customs and whilst on the bike. It means that you dont pay the extra for getting your favourite cream in small quantities, and you can ensure the small container is full before a big trip.

Just remember what is in the container  :)

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #30 on: 14 July, 2017, 11:39:59 am »
Doublebase is what BC recommend.

Which is why I tried it, but I think my early view is Conotrane is better (less faff to apply)... based on 980 km over 10 days of touring - so extrapolating that to LEL it might be too much faff... will know more at the end of tonights ride. 

Plus point over Sudocrem for Doublebase is that it doesn't leave any white marks on your shorts :)

[ETA: everyone is different though so what works for me might not work for others!]
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #31 on: 14 July, 2017, 01:25:55 pm »
Just remember what is in the container  :)

Toothpaste is very stimulating bum-cream.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #32 on: 14 July, 2017, 02:09:16 pm »
Plus point over Sudocrem for Doublebase is that it doesn't leave any white marks on your shorts :)

Do you mean on the inside ??

I'm not aware of any seepage to the outside ... but then I don't look all that close :P The stuff certainly washes out fine.

[I'd never heard of Doublebase, I must confess. ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #33 on: 14 July, 2017, 02:19:46 pm »
It's pretty common to see white smears on the shorts of a rider in front of you. I'm not sure if it seeps though, I think it's just the white contrast visible through the stretched lycra.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.