Author Topic: Gels  (Read 3619 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: Gels
« Reply #25 on: 19 July, 2019, 04:41:57 pm »
I like fig rolls. They're tasty (to me, ymmv), cheap, widely available and I'm sure I read on somewhere highly scientific like road.cc that they contain almost exactly the same proportions and amounts of carbs, fats and proteins as a gel. But they still leave you with the cloying feeling of always sweet things, as T42 noted.

Oh yes! I do like a fig roll as well. Might buy soem now for my upcoming trip, thanks for the reminder
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #26 on: 19 July, 2019, 05:13:21 pm »
I like fig rolls. They're tasty (to me, ymmv), cheap, widely available and I'm sure I read on somewhere highly scientific like road.cc that they contain almost exactly the same proportions and amounts of carbs, fats and proteins as a gel. But they still leave you with the cloying feeling of always sweet things, as T42 noted.
Gels are usually pretty much just carbs. Fig rolls have a quite a bit more fat and protein.
Just figs (or other dried fruit) could be closer nutritionally to a gel. Though would have a lot more fibre, not necessarily a good thing.

Phil W

« Reply #27 on: 19 July, 2019, 05:45:54 pm »

Oh yes! I do like a fig roll as well. Might buy soem now for my upcoming trip, thanks for the reminder

And two per hour is your 60g of carb intake.

« Reply #28 on: 19 July, 2019, 05:55:00 pm »
I like Clif Shots Bloks. They are chewy blocks, so less messy than gels. Though best to have them with water. And quite tasty. Some of them have caffeine.

I'm a fan of these too, favourites are the non-caffeinated Mountain Berry and the caffeinated Tropical one.  One thing I like about these is that you can snip the top off one of the packets at the start of a ride without them oozing out like a gel, so are ready to easily consume on the go if on a group ride (e.g. club run) where there are only a few stops. I like the SIS Go mini energy bars for a similar reason, though they take longer to digest.

Mini saucisson are also good to munch on longer rides, if you're after fat, protein and salt: e.g. https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/bastides-saucissons-secs/585831-525646-525647
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #29 on: 19 July, 2019, 10:07:02 pm »

And two per hour is your 60g of carb intake.

whoa, now. 
1) I only take in about 20g carbs per hour
b) I think they're closer to 12g carbs each
iii) that still works out at 2 per hour  :thumbsup:
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #30 on: 19 July, 2019, 10:16:53 pm »

I use M&Ms. They have a high melting point, and you can dose them easily. Sometimes, it's nice to eat them one or 2 at a time over while riding...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #31 on: 22 July, 2019, 09:43:38 pm »
As well as jelly babies, I recently picked up a couple of those tiny packets of nuts like you used to see for sale behind a bar. When I did my big ride last year I started dreaming about tearing open sachets of salt and pouring them into my mouth, I was just bored of biscuit bars. (Consequently the frites we eventually got were bloody amazeballs).
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #32 on: 22 July, 2019, 10:13:09 pm »
Fig rolls seem popular, an recommendations on the tastiest brand? I've see McVities, Jacobs, Lyons and Bolands available, as well as various own brand ones by the different supermarkets... Also, are there any that are tasty AND that don't contain palm oil?

« Reply #33 on: 22 July, 2019, 10:15:16 pm »
Fig rolls seem popular, an recommendations on the tastiest brand? I've see McVities, Jacobs, Lyons and Bolands available, as well as various own brand ones by the different supermarkets... Also, are there any that are tasty AND that don't contain palm oil?

Wow, I didn't realise so much fig roll research had already been done, see: http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/biscuits/fig/

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #34 on: 22 July, 2019, 10:55:43 pm »
The Lidl fig rolls are good.

If you've met me on an audax you'll know my view is that the French have already perfected 'gels', it's called brie.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #35 on: 22 July, 2019, 11:10:57 pm »
The Lidl fig rolls are good.

If you've met me on an audax you'll know my view is that the French have already perfected 'gels', it's called brie.
Top tip!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #36 on: 29 July, 2019, 04:43:09 pm »
I like Clif Shots Bloks. They are chewy blocks, so less messy than gels. Though best to have them with water. And quite tasty. Some of them have caffeine.

I'm a fan of these too, favourites are the non-caffeinated Mountain Berry and the caffeinated Tropical one.  One thing I like about these is that you can snip the top off one of the packets at the start of a ride without them oozing out like a gel, so are ready to easily consume on the go if on a group ride (e.g. club run) where there are only a few stops. I like the SIS Go mini energy bars for a similar reason, though they take longer to digest.

Mini saucisson are also good to munch on longer rides, if you're after fat, protein and salt: e.g. https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/bastides-saucissons-secs/585831-525646-525647

I discovered Shot Bloks in Ginger Ale flavour on my last race. nomnom.
Quorn mini cocktail sausages are good too, but I've not yet tried both at once.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #37 on: 29 July, 2019, 06:10:37 pm »
Gels?  I'd rather gnaw my own flesh.  If you start with the arms, it doesn't even slow you down too much.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #38 on: 29 July, 2019, 08:24:31 pm »
Gels are okay, but - when you’re really in a pinch - you can’t beat a chap.

;D
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #39 on: 29 July, 2019, 10:39:36 pm »
Or:

Gels are okay but - in a pinch - what you need is a woman.

I prefer that one.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?