Author Topic: Ronde van Nederland  (Read 1195 times)

Ronde van Nederland
« on: 30 January, 2022, 02:48:03 pm »
Otherwise known as The tour of the Netherlands. Does anyone have experience of riding this?
I was wondering if it could be ridden at Audax pace (200km in 10 -12 hours over 7 days). The route looks very wiggly which could make it hard work to keep up a steady speed.
Had a quick look on the Internet and couldn't find any English guide books. Does anyone know of any blogs/write ups of this route?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

LFCC

Re: Ronde van Nederland
« Reply #1 on: 30 January, 2022, 04:10:05 pm »
It depends. If you can do a hilly 200 in 10-12 hours, then a flat route with a lot of twists and turns should be alright as well? You can improve your odds by going around clockwise. Then normally you should have a tailwind along the coast.

From what I've ridden myself: LF1 along the North Sea Coast is a pretty fast route if you have the wind in your back. LF10 (Wadden Sea Coast) does not follow the coast line very closely, but that's probably a good thing. Instead of just cycling along a dyke for 100km you actually get to see villages on (small) artificial hills with a lot of old churches and fortified farmhouses. LF14 from Lauwersoog to Emmen is basically cycle paths through the forest once you are past Groningen. Unless you're passing through on a Sunday with good weather, you'll have the paths to yourself and you can make good time.

And beware that the Afsluitdijk is closed for cyclists at the moment (reopens in 2023, hopefully). There is a free bus to take you to the other side. This may actually slow you down, depending on how long you have to wait for the bus.

I can't help you with English guide books/blogs/write ups, but several folks on this forum reside in the Netherlands (including me). Always happy to answer any questions you may have.

« Reply #2 on: 30 January, 2022, 06:28:59 pm »
Hello this may help you:

Holland-cycling.com

Everything you need to know for your trip on this site + links

Enjoy your trip - its a wonderful country.

« Reply #3 on: 30 January, 2022, 07:08:17 pm »
It depends. If you can do a hilly 200 in 10-12 hours, then a flat route with a lot of twists and turns should be alright as well? You can improve your odds by going around clockwise. Then normally you should have a tailwind along the coast.

From what I've ridden myself: LF1 along the North Sea Coast is a pretty fast route if you have the wind in your back. LF10 (Wadden Sea Coast) does not follow the coast line very closely, but that's probably a good thing. Instead of just cycling along a dyke for 100km you actually get to see villages on (small) artificial hills with a lot of old churches and fortified farmhouses. LF14 from Lauwersoog to Emmen is basically cycle paths through the forest once you are past Groningen. Unless you're passing through on a Sunday with good weather, you'll have the paths to yourself and you can make good time.

And beware that the Afsluitdijk is closed for cyclists at the moment (reopens in 2023, hopefully). There is a free bus to take you to the other side. This may actually slow you down, depending on how long you have to wait for the bus.

I can't help you with English guide books/blogs/write ups, but several folks on this forum reside in the Netherlands (including me). Always happy to answer any questions you may have.
Thanks for the information.  Sounds like a ride I will enjoy.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

LFCC