Author Topic: Steel plate jeans?  (Read 1400 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Steel plate jeans?
« on: 22 January, 2022, 09:28:19 am »
Most of the denim jeans on the market seem to have a high percentage of lycra and get snagged and torn in a nanosecond. I do a fair few site inspections and want jeans that can shake off snagging on brambles and barbed wire. What brand/ type of jeans am I looking for?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Re: Steel plate jeans?
« Reply #1 on: 22 January, 2022, 10:21:48 am »
Go to one of the stores that supply hobby farmers and horsey riders.  I bought some jeans from Countrywide about 10 years ago before they closed up shop.  These were pretty impervious to brambles I was chopping on a nature reserve. Brand name is Dickies.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 22 January, 2022, 10:31:41 am »
Screwfix has a big range of inexpensive work trousers.
Might look a bit scruffy mind...

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #3 on: 22 January, 2022, 11:18:25 am »
Motorcycle jeans with kevlar woven into the denim?
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

ian

« Reply #4 on: 22 January, 2022, 11:31:13 am »
Assless chaps. I'm sure Rogerzilla can loan you a pair to try.

sam

« Reply #5 on: 22 January, 2022, 11:44:42 am »
These look pretty tough. I for one was convinced by the gnarly tattoos, never mind the box cutter test.

« Reply #6 on: 22 January, 2022, 04:33:21 pm »
Levi’s don’t all contain Lycra, but jeans have quite an open weave and being cotton will snag. I’d go for something  from the likes of Dickies, heavy weight tight weave cotton, or even Carhartt - who have a “Steel” range of trousers. Ripstop walking trousers won’t snag too much, but may be a bit lightweight.

https://ruffntuffclothing.co.uk/original-carhartt-for-men/carhartt-jeans-trousers-shorts/trousers?gclid=CjwKCAiA866PBhAYEiwANkIneD5TnVLHu0tDQnrDBFXXa2hKw888j_1tv0cm4XjPunLQypg6pmVT6hoCNpwQAvD_BwE
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7 on: 25 January, 2022, 07:35:40 am »
Assless chaps. I'm sure Rogerzilla can loan you a pair to try.
Leather ftw
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #8 on: 25 January, 2022, 07:47:54 am »
@LWB, Did you, ...about 18 years ago, work for a short while for a shop fitting company in Ashford , Kent, refitting Indian restaurants?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: 25 January, 2022, 07:58:39 am »
I don’t know what the punchline is, but that is an interesting set-up. Short answer is no, sorry.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #10 on: 25 January, 2022, 08:04:11 am »
Ok, it’s just you remind me of someone who worked there , his name was Dave, and looked like you.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #11 on: 30 January, 2022, 07:19:54 pm »
Levi’s don’t all contain Lycra, but jeans have quite an open weave and being cotton will snag. I’d go for something  from the likes of Dickies, heavy weight tight weave cotton, or even Carhartt - who have a “Steel” range of trousers. Ripstop walking trousers won’t snag too much, but may be a bit lightweight.

https://ruffntuffclothing.co.uk/original-carhartt-for-men/carhartt-jeans-trousers-shorts/trousers?gclid=CjwKCAiA866PBhAYEiwANkIneD5TnVLHu0tDQnrDBFXXa2hKw888j_1tv0cm4XjPunLQypg6pmVT6hoCNpwQAvD_BwE

Dickies only do fashion clothing.

« Reply #12 on: 30 January, 2022, 07:32:08 pm »

Dickies only do fashion clothing.

Bollocks. My work trousers are definitely not fashion items.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13 on: 31 January, 2022, 12:02:26 pm »
The trendiest, very most edge-of-the-wave, people get their clothes from Screwfix: https://www.screwfix.com/c/safety-workwear/work-trousers/cat850376?brand=dickies
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #14 on: 31 January, 2022, 02:41:12 pm »
I did suggest Screwfix upthread...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #15 on: 31 January, 2022, 02:52:00 pm »
But not as a fashion store...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.