Author Topic: Off road night time triking  (Read 2084 times)

mtrike

• aka action barbie
Off road night time triking
« on: 11 December, 2008, 08:24:40 pm »
Rode the Yeti tonight off road in the dark (and heavy frost).  Now that is fun and you need to be fast to lean out when the corners appear.  Great fun you must get one and try.

Sigurd Mudtracker

Re: Off road night time triking
« Reply #1 on: 11 December, 2008, 09:22:23 pm »
Rode the Yeti tonight off road in the dark (and heavy frost).  Now that is fun and you need to be fast to lean out when the corners appear.  Great fun you must get one and try.

I think the word you were looking for was suicidal.

;D

« Reply #2 on: 12 December, 2008, 08:36:21 am »
On all the untreated roads in the ice the trike (MTB Longstaff conversion) beats two wheels. Even with semi slick tyres I still keep going where my MTB slips over.

Three wheel skids are "interesting" but less chance of falling off, more like going under a bus.....

If the weather goes on like this I may put the nobblies back on, or even studs (or just go on the bus).

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #3 on: 12 December, 2008, 09:01:04 pm »
Tarmac roads, I agree, no problems if you have adapted to three wheels.

Farm tracks and gnarly off road are still very difficult and I constantly feel that I'm going to land on my noggin.

mtrike

• aka action barbie
« Reply #4 on: 13 December, 2008, 05:46:50 pm »
Tarmac roads, I agree, no problems if you have adapted to three wheels.

Farm tracks and gnarly off road are still very difficult and I constantly feel that I'm going to land on my noggin.

It depends a lot on the trike.  The Yeti is hugely stable and in some ways easier off road than a bike except when crossing slopes.  The road Longstaff isn't bad but a lack of concentration can see you heading for trees remarkably quickly. The Crosby is frankly a pig to ride any camber or pot hole and it turns immediately at 90 degrees towards it and a narrow track means it tips over easily as well!  I can't work out what makes the Yeti so stable possibly the smaller wheels lower the centre of gravity?  The Crosbys skittishness is a combination of the fork trail, short wheelbase, narrow track and off side drive or perhaps it just doesn't like me!