Author Topic: Diving Into the Broadband Jungle  (Read 1361 times)

Diving Into the Broadband Jungle
« on: 22 October, 2022, 12:27:40 pm »
We've been with PlusNet here in Slough for a number of years, and not really had too much of a problem.  However, City Fibre have recently installed fibre in the street, so we wondered if it was time to switch.  We therefore contacted PlusNet to enquire why they were not advertising alongside the 10 companies in the City Fibre website, not knowing that PlusNet had been taken over by BT.  The result was this online chat conversation with what came across as a slightly tetchy customer service person, which has further confused me.  Can anyone enlighten me further, as his comments have really just endarkened me!  See below:

Code: [Select]
You: Hello - I am at [Slough address here]. CityFibre have installed fibre in the street and 10 companies are offering deals. We would like to stay with PlusNet if you can offer
a suitable deal, but you are not listed on the CityFibre website!

Saif: Correct we are a BT company we don't work with City fibre as they use cable we don't
Saif: We use BT openreach for FTTP (Full fibre)
Saif: That's the reason why and it makes complete sense
Saif: Is there anything else I can help you with?

You: OK. We have 10 months of our current contract to go.

Saif: You would need to call to check cancellation fees
Saif: Also full fibre does not include landlines you use your mobile for high speeds

You: City Fibre state they use FTTP too.

Saif: I would heavily recommend you do some research into full fibre to get a better acknowledgement
Saif: Yes cable fibre
Saif: You need to do some research

You: OK. Thank you for your help.
Saif: Full fibre does not include landline so you won't be able to use your landline on that City fibre package
Saif: Read into it please

You: Understood
You: Bye

Saif:
You have to use your mobile if you're a person who revolves around landline usage it would not be for you
Saif:
Enjoy your day

Is the guy just talking out of his a*$e, or is there something I'm really not understanding?  I realise that is a distinct possibility! :-\

StuAff

• Folding not boring
Re: Diving Into the Broadband Jungle
« Reply #1 on: 22 October, 2022, 05:05:24 pm »
Frankly bizarre statements there. PN are offering FTTP, at up to 500mbps, but it's dependent on when BT enable it in an area. My contract's up in a few months, so I'd be interested in switching to that service, even at a premium, if only they offered it- and no, they don't tell you when it might be available either!

RE the phone: If you have a landline at the moment you can keep it, and go to one of the CityFibre ISPs and have the fibre as an extra line, or discontinue the BT line and switch your number. If you switch to the fibre for your phone line, the phone runs through the router. However, this will happen for you, me and everyone else in the country, regardless as analogue phone lines will be switched off by 2025, which has caused much angst, power cut means no landline. You'll have fibre whether you want it or not…The amount of data used by phone calls is tiny, he's talking total BS on that score.

« Reply #2 on: 23 October, 2022, 12:29:45 pm »
I presume City Fibre works like Openreach in that you don’t deal directly with them but with one of the ISPs that deal with them. I also presume that City Fibre will only supply houses that aren’t already connected with fibre by Openreach or some other providers. In that case, Plusnet are just shooting themselves in the foot by not offering a service to non-Openreach locations. If you are looking for a new FTTP ISP then I recommend Zen, who are not the cheapest but are  (so far) reliable and free from the marketing bullshit that comes with many other companies.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #3 on: 23 October, 2022, 12:42:18 pm »
I presume City Fibre works like Openreach in that you don’t deal directly with them but with one of the ISPs that deal with them. I also presume that City Fibre will only supply houses that aren’t already connected with fibre by Openreach or some other providers. In that case, Plusnet are just shooting themselves in the foot by not offering a service to non-Openreach locations. If you are looking for a new FTTP ISP then I recommend Zen, who are not the cheapest but are  (so far) reliable and free from the marketing bullshit that comes with many other companies.
Yes, CityFibre are infrastructure,like Openreach, not an ISP in their own right. No reason why you can't have BT or AN Other provider line as well, their setup is completely separate.

« Reply #4 on: 23 October, 2022, 04:00:33 pm »
Thanks for the feedback and help... very useful.

Bluebottle

• Everybody's gotta be somewhere
« Reply #5 on: 24 October, 2022, 11:12:14 pm »
Most odd. It kinda reminds me when we renewed our contract with EE, who had been excellent. At time of renewal, they went out of their way to try to palm us off onto BT (with whom they had just signed an agreement) and onto an inferior deal. At least the EE handler was open about this.
Dieu, je vous soupçonne d'être un intellectuel de gauche.

FGG #5465