Author Topic: Run two IQ Flys?  (Read 935 times)

Run two IQ Flys?
« on: 17 December, 2008, 03:20:13 am »
I've a SON hub and a IQ Fly LED light.  Peter White's website says that two Flys can't be run together.  I've written to B & M and asked about wiring two Flys together (can it be done, if so how, what limitations or concerns).  Anyone here done it or have any advice?--george

11 Dec.:  Received short reply from  Busch & Müller KG

"it is possible to run two IQ fly with the hub dynamo, connected in series."

I've asked for a bit more info, will share if I get it.--george

16 Dec.:  B & M wrote back and replied "up to 20 km/h the two IQ Fly are as bright as only one headlight, also together with a dynamo rearlight.  It is possible to connect an additional switch (ON/OFF) parallel to one IQ Fly, to switch it off driving at lower speed."

My interpretation of his English (many times better than I could even attempt in German!) is that you can run two in series, but that below 20 kph (12 mph), you might be better off with just one IQ Fly running, and that could be accomplished with a "secondary shorting switch" in parallel with the "secondary" IQ fly (there is not a formal secondary IQ Fly from B & M, like there is for the E-6 halogen). The function of this switch is to bypass the second IQ Fly, and let the "primary" one run at full (low speed) power. This is what the "secondary E-6" halogen light does (the switch on it either lets current go through the E-6, or around it-"off" bypasses the current around the lamp). This also works fine when running a dyno taillight, as I do.

So all I need to do is buy & install another IQ Fly. Anyone have a used one they'd like to sell?--george
Tour Easy Recumbent
To recline is devine

Re: Run two IQ Flys?
« Reply #1 on: 17 December, 2008, 08:02:26 am »
It is an interesting possibility, but will you have to do the switching manually? If so that would become a right pain. Now if someone could take the management electronics from the Solidlights and combine those with the LEDs and optics of the IQ fly that could be a very impressive performer.

On the other hand, it might be easier just to go for a Cyo.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]