Author Topic: The Mersey Ferry  (Read 2074 times)

The Mersey Ferry
« on: 04 April, 2023, 06:42:52 pm »
Planning a trip to Wales for a group of cyclists for May. The thought was to use the ferry from Liverpool to the Wirral. I looked at the ferry's website and was surprised to find that the ferry only runs a commuter service from early morning until between nine and ten, and then at the teatime commute. ( i suppose this is the sign of the times) After the morning commute the ferry then sails on tours etc. every hour or so until teatime when it's back to the commute. The tours start at the Pierhead and then pick up at Seacombe and proceed on the tour. My question is can we travel on one of the tours and get off at Seacombe and just pay the commuter fare for the trip? We plan to get to the Pierhead around lunch time and waiting until the commute is not feasible. The option is to use the rail link, but making the effort to experience the ferry, the train is a bit of a letdown. Thanks for any advice.

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
Re: The Mersey Ferry
« Reply #1 on: 04 April, 2023, 09:40:51 pm »
Yes that's what I found when arriving at Birkenhead last July and needing to get to the other side. Had to wait a while and it didn't run from Seacombe

« Reply #2 on: 05 April, 2023, 06:32:03 pm »
As locals with concessionary passes and travelling with paying companions we've had alsorts/no trouble using Explorer cruise to 'just cross' the river, individual staff seem to think differently about what is allowed/chargeable! You should ring and ask what is correct and if you get a favourable reply get it confirmed in writing - try several times if needs be  :o

PS Seacombe is the only terminal on the Wirral at the moment as Woodside (Birkenhead) is being upgraded (Seacombe having been done last year).

PPS Birkenhead Conway Park is best station to get off a train as it has huge lifts, James Street in Liverpool has large lifts only down to bridge level, lift to platform level is tiny, bike need up-ending so difficult with mudflaps. Wirral line from Moorfields Station in Liverpool can be accessed using escalators (let bike settle in position on a step by moving with bike, apply brake and relax - or fight the bike all the way down 😂).

« Reply #3 on: 06 April, 2023, 06:10:40 pm »
Thanks neilrj . Will call. There is a telephone number on the web pages for the Ferry. That's good advice about the stations.Will report back after the trip. I suppose the ferry at some point will stop, and it's one of those iconic journeys that you regret not using when you have the chance. The last time I was on the ferry was in  around 1966 with my Grandad and sister on the way to Chirk for a holiday.He lived in Southport and we in Blackpool, and met at the Pier Head. Happy days.

« Reply #4 on: 06 April, 2023, 10:04:04 pm »
When we've done the Wirral Way from Chester to Liverpool then on to Manchester, we just got the train under the Mersey.
We didn't want the faff of getting the ferry.
Bike capacity didn't seem to be a problem even when there were more than 6 of us.

« Reply #5 on: 09 April, 2023, 12:00:20 am »
When we've done the Wirral Way from Chester to Liverpool then on to Manchester, we just got the train under the Mersey.
We didn't want the faff of getting the ferry.
Bike capacity didn't seem to be a problem even when there were more than 6 of us.

Don't worry about bike numbers on Merseyrail, we've had 15 bikes on a train (2x3 carriages 8 spaces), no one bats an eyelid. Worst case scenario is excess bikes in vestibule and get off and on at every station.

« Reply #6 on: 07 June, 2023, 07:34:51 pm »
Just a report on what went on during our trip across the water. Joined the Trans Pennine Trail by the side of Aintree racecourse after heading into seriously busy traffic on the A59. What a pleasant ride along a former rail line, through some pleasant wooded areas. I read a few years ago the the TPT was a rough surface dusted with broken glass. Nothing could be further from the truth. After a few miles heading South took a turn to the west that runs on paths and quiet side roads past Hope University,through Sefton Park and fairly soon we arrived on the dockside just south of the ferry terminal.A short ride over the entrance to a canal/marina (Leeds -Liverpool?) Five minutes later we were afloat taking in half of the Tour that run during the non rush hour part of the day. You pay half the tour fee to alight at Seacombe.I believe it's free if you are a local pensioner. Still we learned something about the sights from the ferry. Leaving Seacombe heading for Chester once out of  the Urban area picked up another cycle track which ran along Burton Marsh, then through a couple of industrial estates and we seemed to get into Chester avoiding the traffic. All in all a pleasant day which on paper has little appeal but on the ground pleasantly surprises.