Author Topic: Ping the cycling police officer  (Read 3018 times)

spindrift

Ping the cycling police officer
« on: 03 January, 2009, 08:03:11 pm »
I'm really sorry, I can't remember the name, but you posted a freaking hilarious story about being stopped by a rookie cop who you totally pwned? Do you know where I could find it please?

I only ask because a mate was nearly sideswiped on a roundabout and then pulled over by a cop who berated him for not using hand signals, which, as far as I know, isn't the law at all.

Re: Ping the cycling police officer
« Reply #1 on: 03 January, 2009, 08:14:32 pm »
Fuzzy or GruB.

« Reply #2 on: 03 January, 2009, 08:20:36 pm »
Why would he not signal?

The highway code gives guidance (Section 186-187)  :demon:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

spindrift

« Reply #3 on: 03 January, 2009, 08:30:30 pm »
I reckon positioning's more important on rbts than hand signals.

« Reply #4 on: 03 January, 2009, 08:44:30 pm »
I reckon positioning's more important on rbts than hand signals.

Agreed, but to really get the message home, I use both.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #5 on: 03 January, 2009, 08:45:35 pm »
A hand signal always helps:  if you were driving you'd use the indicators, surely?

N
Advena ego sum in Terra

spindrift

« Reply #6 on: 03 January, 2009, 08:48:43 pm »
On the Tourer, with drop bars, maybe, it's hard to remember to be honest.

On the Trek hybrid I never indicate, cornering at a speed fast enough to get across quickly it would be dangerous to take a hand off the bars.

« Reply #7 on: 03 January, 2009, 09:00:58 pm »
A hand signal always helps:  if you were driving you'd use the indicators, surely?

N

Indeed, but I have three fast roundabouts on my commute where taking a hand off the bars would be dangerous.  I'd rather keep control.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #8 on: 03 January, 2009, 10:11:39 pm »

N

Indeed, but I have three fast roundabouts on my commute where taking a hand off the bars would be dangerous.  I'd rather keep control.

I say the same in the car/lorry... I can take this r/about at speed, fuck everyone else they can see where I'm going...must keep hold of the steering wheel!!!!
 :demon:

spindrift

« Reply #9 on: 03 January, 2009, 10:15:12 pm »
 I stay in the left lane till my exit. This means cars can't overtake and sideswipe, I travel at the speed of the following cars and I'm visible to anyone joining the roundabout. I'm doing 15mph on the rbts I negotiate, a speed the cars can't match. Travelling to the inside lane for the third exit, for instance , would involve placing myself in danger from cars doing a full circuit, staying to the left of the outer lane would encourage sideswipes, veering from lane to lane is the last thing I want to do at speed, downhill, around traffic. It works for me, has done for 25 years in three different countries.

« Reply #10 on: 03 January, 2009, 10:21:14 pm »
Inside lane?  Do you mean the nearside or the offside?
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

gordon taylor

« Reply #11 on: 03 January, 2009, 10:22:09 pm »
I don't quite understand this thread... is it the usual "leap to a forum 'cos a copper has spoken to me and I need to take the piss" response?

If the guy was my mate I'd just tell him to read the Highway Code and say "Yes Officer" politely.   :demon:

I apologise if the above seems rude, but I get really narked at our collective inability to take a simple telling-off without becoming indignant, self righteous, cry-babies.

spindrift

« Reply #12 on: 03 January, 2009, 10:26:52 pm »
Inside lane would be the offside.

My policy when I encounter the police is to be polite and get rid asap.

I think this policy may be abandoned were an officer to remonstrate after being sideswiped on a rbt. What hand signal is appropriate for that? 

« Reply #13 on: 04 January, 2009, 10:42:40 am »
Why would he not signal?

The highway code gives guidance (Section 186-187)  :demon:

I tend to judge...

Positive hand signals are an unequivocal statement of intent, and also can prevent stupd maneouvres as it increases your profile. I always signal on an approach as a warning and then immediately before the manoeuvre.

.......... but I must admit that on occasion

If I feel that the vehicle is going to act irresponsibly then I prefer to be on the brakes.

There is a particularly bad taxi area by the harbour station where "left hooks" are a speciaity - here signalling a left turn is lethal as it guarantees a close shave, and more worryingly even if they think you are carrying on they still overtake.

Here I do not signal as it can improve my safety.

« Reply #14 on: 04 January, 2009, 10:53:25 am »
Legally the officer may be correct, especially if in that position you should be indicating right.  On the other hand, you have to play each roundabout by ear, and I admit there are a couple of places where I wouldn't dare take my hands off of the brake levers, and have to rely on road placement to hopefully make my intent clear.

Police vehicles are normally pretty good, I've had them not overtake me in positions where pretty much every other vehicle would have done, so they do tend to take more care around pedal cycles than many other road users, who wouldn't be so patient.  There are however idiots and numbskulls in every category of vehicle driver, and even on a roundabout, where you and I know cyclists are particularly exposed, there are some who think their importance and need to be somewhere is greater than your need to survive.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #15 on: 04 January, 2009, 11:29:44 am »
Yeah, I'm afraid there are a few places where the choice between covering the brakes or signalling is a pretty easy choice to make.

gonzo

« Reply #16 on: 04 January, 2009, 11:41:12 am »
Ride fixed then you can signal, brake and pick your nose at the same time!

Of course, I'm not recommending braking and cornering; that'd be silly!

« Reply #17 on: 05 January, 2009, 10:40:11 am »
I nearly always indicate, and make it very obvious. IME, most drivers notice, appreciate the effort, and are correspondingly considerate.
AFAIK, it is the law . . .
<i>Marmite slave</i>