Author Topic: Hosts File  (Read 1223 times)

nicknack

• Hornblower
Hosts File
« on: 18 January, 2009, 06:09:10 pm »
Following Nutty's advice here, I did as suggested and tinkered with the hosts file to speed things up and block ads and stuff. However, some things no longer work, such as videos on the BBC website and Google maps. Anyone know if there's an easy way to identify which bits of the hosts file these sites are using (or, unable to use presumably)?
There's no vibrations, but wait.

inc

Re: Hosts File
« Reply #1 on: 18 January, 2009, 06:19:03 pm »
If you have installed No Script then there will be a little red icon in the status bar at the bottom of Firefox if it is blocking a script. If you then right click there will be options on the menu to allow certain sites, if you trust them then you can allow then permanently or if not, just for that session.

« Reply #2 on: 18 January, 2009, 06:20:10 pm »
I've used the hosts file in the past to block adverts etc, but found by the far the easiest and most efficient way is to use Adblock Plus with Firefox.  In my opinion, Adblock Plus is enough reason in itself to use Firefox !

Since Adblock Plus is periodically automagically updated, you never have to worry about the advertisers using different websites and whatnot, the signature file is watched and updated for you.

I suspect the only easy way of seeing which sites are being used is to look at the source code for the page itself (typically under something like "View Page Source"), but even then some stuff is likely to be hidden in obfuscated Javascript or Shockwave.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #3 on: 18 January, 2009, 07:11:57 pm »
Following Nutty's advice here, I did as suggested and tinkered with the hosts file to speed things up and block ads and stuff. However, some things no longer work, such as videos on the BBC website and Google maps. Anyone know if there's an easy way to identify which bits of the hosts file these sites are using (or, unable to use presumably)?

Multi-blocking hosts files like  the one linked from nutty's post are known to cause (minor) networking problems in windoze. You're better off using ABP in FF or similar. However, permanently blocking a handful of annoying sites (such as doubleclick) is a good idea.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #4 on: 18 January, 2009, 08:54:43 pm »

I've got the hosts file from that site on my windows machine and can use BBC videos and google with no problems.

Although I use firefox, with adblock, primarily for surfing I do have to use internet explorer for some sites as well as MSN etc.  The hosts file block rips all the ads out of MSN and so forth, which stops the annoying flashing screen.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #5 on: 19 January, 2009, 11:17:37 am »
Oh well, it's all working again. I didn't do nuffink.

Ta for the advice anyway.
There's no vibrations, but wait.