Author Topic: Eee tablet!  (Read 2174 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Eee tablet!
« on: 07 January, 2009, 01:52:55 pm »
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Dave

Re: Eee tablet!
« Reply #1 on: 07 January, 2009, 01:57:39 pm »
Oooh, me likey.

Bonus features include [...] and GPS.

Ooooooooooh, me likey.

« Reply #2 on: 07 January, 2009, 02:11:45 pm »
Aargh - I can't get that - I'd have to get a TV licence....

:(

« Reply #3 on: 07 January, 2009, 02:16:39 pm »

Further down in the article it says they're releasing a similar model with a 10.1" screen but no GPS or TV tuner.

« Reply #4 on: 07 January, 2009, 02:19:03 pm »
Further down in the article it says they're releasing a similar model with a 10.1" screen but no GPS or TV tuner.

I know - but that one doesn't have the GPS :-(

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #5 on: 07 January, 2009, 02:19:36 pm »
...and misses the "squee! dinky!" factor.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #6 on: 07 January, 2009, 02:20:49 pm »

If you don't use it to watch TV programmes then there's no need to get a TV license. However, convincing the TV Licensing people that you don't use it to watch TV programmes is not an easy thing to do.

"
Do I need a TV Licence?

You must be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV. It makes no difference what equipment you use - whether it’s a laptop, PC, mobile phone, digital box, DVD recorder or a TV set - you still need a licence.

You do not need a TV Licence to view video clips on the internet, as long as what you are viewing is not being shown on TV at the same time as you are viewing it.

If you use a digital box with a hi-fi system, or another device that can only be used to produce sounds and can't display TV programmes, and you don't install or use any other TV receiving equipment, you don't need a TV Licence.
"

The last sentence is a bit ambiguous but the fact still stands that if you never use the TV watching capability of something then you don't need to have a TV license.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #7 on: 07 January, 2009, 02:23:47 pm »
Ideal device for a SatNAv in a car of course - fold back your screen, start the SatNav program.
There is a gap in the market as far as I can see for a Linux satnav program - and don't mention gpsdrive please.
I'd hazard a guess that someone will develop a paid-for set of maps and a vehicle satnav program for this device.

« Reply #8 on: 07 January, 2009, 02:24:07 pm »
...and misses the "squee! dinky!" factor.

Quite right - if I just wanted a small laptop I'd stick with the thinkpad X31 I'm on now. It has to be proper tiny!

Duncan

« Reply #9 on: 07 January, 2009, 02:26:30 pm »
I was thinking how good it would be for OpenSteetMapping. Could be quite popular with that crowd.

Duncan

« Reply #10 on: 07 January, 2009, 02:43:23 pm »
Ooohhhhh.....    I had been toying with the netbook arena...    I may be tempted now :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #11 on: 07 January, 2009, 03:51:30 pm »
I was thinking how good it would be for OpenSteetMapping. Could be quite popular with that crowd.

Aye, I was thinking that too.  :)