Author Topic: Millet seeds  (Read 1414 times)

Julian

• samoture
Millet seeds
« on: 06 January, 2009, 03:24:27 pm »
I haz some.

The packets says to use them instead or rice or couscous - does anybody here use them and have any particularly good suggestions?

Re: Millet seeds
« Reply #1 on: 06 January, 2009, 03:28:11 pm »
I didn't like millet much like that, but you can add it to mashed potato - then you get all the goodness without having to eat wee dry balls. And it makes the potatoes quite creamy.

And don't tell anyone you're eating it or you'll never hear the end of the jokes about budgies and Trill....

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 06 January, 2009, 03:32:10 pm »
Millet may well be rich in B vitamins, especially niacin, B6 and folic acid.  It may also contain splendid levels of calcium, iron, potassium, magnesium, and zinc.

But be warned; it'll be like a blazing saddles re-enactment camp in Ealing if you feed me that for dinner  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #3 on: 06 January, 2009, 03:33:56 pm »
*decides to make soup instead*

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #4 on: 06 January, 2009, 03:45:18 pm »
I haz some.

I'd be interested to hear how you do decide to prepare them.  I accidentally picked up a packet a few months ago, thinking they were couscous, and have been glancing at them nervously ever since.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #5 on: 06 January, 2009, 04:16:24 pm »
I had some and tried to use them instead of rice or couscous and hated every mouthful.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 06 January, 2009, 04:37:14 pm »
Millet can be really lovely.  You need to cook it for long enough, and those nasty little yellow balls of granite turn into delightful fluffy tiny popcorn.*  A very light taste on its own - in fact it's a flavour a lot of people can't taste, so they think it is completely bland - but it responds well to herbs to bring that out.

I like it with a beany sort of stew.**

* Note for Charlotte: most people who have, er, 'that problem' with millet have eaten it undercooked IME.

** Note for Liz: it makes a nice textural addition to soup, too ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #7 on: 06 January, 2009, 07:59:34 pm »
*decides to make soup instead*

It goes well in soup, in small amounts. On its own I find it rather coarse; prefer quinoa.
The flakes make a good, clean-tasting porridge and a an ok soup thickener, too.