Author Topic: Questions about fitting a rack to my bike and using a single pannier  (Read 2009 times)

alchemy

I bought a singlespeed bike over the Xmas break and plan to use it for commuting/popping to the shops/other shortish rides etc. I rode it to work today and used my backpack to carry my clothes, lunch and other bits and pieces.

But I found that a backpack isn't ideal for carrying gear on a bike so I was thinking about getting a rack and panniers. I won't be carrying mountains of gear so I probably only need one pannier. But if I only use one pannier and load it up, will my bike feel unstable and "lopsided". Should I use two panniers and spread a smallish load between the two?

I've looked at the packs that go on top of a rack but I think they might not be quite big enough for my needs.

Another question - the bike has rack mounting eyelets above the (caliper) brake mount near the top of the seatstays, and on the dropouts. Can I use any standard rack (eg Topeak, Blackburn etc) or do I need something else?

Thanks

Re: Questions about fitting a rack to my bike and using a single pannier
« Reply #1 on: 21 January, 2009, 05:14:56 am »
I used a single pannier to commute for a couple of years, it worked fine for what you describe. I don't recall feeling lopsided. Carradice and Ortlieb make single panniers that can be easily taken off the bike and caried around like a briefcase or shoulder bag.

Another option is a courier bag, they work better on a bicycle than a backpack (mine sits on my hip, avoiding a sweaty back and lowering the center of gravity). A courier bag would save you the trouble and cost of installing a rack, and works very nicely for short hops like you describe.

Any standard rack should work fine with the eyelets you describe.

alchemy

« Reply #2 on: 21 January, 2009, 05:47:52 am »
Thanks Mark, I hadn't thought about a courier bag but that sounds like it might be a more suitable (and cheaper  :thumbsup:) option.

« Reply #3 on: 21 January, 2009, 08:14:10 am »
A third option is a saddle bag.

Carradice make them in many different sizes according to how much you expect to be carrying

Matthew

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4 on: 21 January, 2009, 09:44:07 am »
I - and zillions of other people - have been using a single pannier for commuting since time immemorial.  Unless you're carrying half a dozen breeze blocks in addition to clothes, lunch etc., you won't notice that the weight is unevenly distributed.

A standard rack from a reputable manufacturer should fit OK - most of them have some kind of adjustability (though the 25 year old Blackburn I have on one bike doesn't).
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #5 on: 21 January, 2009, 10:03:26 am »
I often use a single pannier and so do half the other cycle commuters in London, it has never been a problem. Although when I don't have much to carry I use a courier bag instead.

Chris S

« Reply #6 on: 21 January, 2009, 10:07:37 am »
I often use a single pannier. If I load it up (laptop, other officy stuff) and then forget it's there and get out of the saddle to grimp up a hill, I can feel it; so I adjust. Other than that - it works well.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 21 January, 2009, 10:08:08 am »
A third option is a saddle bag.

Carradice make them in many different sizes according to how much you expect to be carrying

Matthew

This is what I do, but a single pannier wouldn't make you lopsided - you'll be surprised.  
Getting there...

« Reply #8 on: 21 January, 2009, 10:21:57 am »
For a small amount of stuff (up to and including laptop) I'll use the rucksack (it's only a small rucksack) if I'm doing the basic commute.

Anything more (large supply of clean clothes/towel/etc for the office locker) then I'll whack it all in a single pannier.

If I'm doing my longer commute (an extra 17km via Richmond Park) I'll stick the rucksack in the saddlepack so it is off my back.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9 on: 21 January, 2009, 10:36:13 am »
When I started riding, I carried stuff on my back, but, for obvious reasons, that wasn't sensible for me, so I very quickly got a rack and cheap panniers.  I regretted the latter, and very quickly stretched the budget to a pair of Carradice Overlanders, the left of which got a lot more use.

Actually, I'm really surprised that so many people carry their load on their backs instead of their bikes.  I used to get a lot of stick from 'proper' cyclists - commuters, tourers and fast lads - back in the day, and, despite massive improvements in cycle-specific design, I can't imagine it's a good idea still.
Getting there...

« Reply #10 on: 21 January, 2009, 10:43:04 am »
Rack and luggage is the way to go.

You won't feel lopsided with one, I've ridden many miles like that.  I tend to use the right hand pannier only as that makes the bike seem wider so motorists overtake wider  ;)

If you have OCD and worry about symmetry then you can get a rack top bag that sits on the rack.  Mine has thousands of miles under its straps.

« Reply #11 on: 21 January, 2009, 07:43:07 pm »

If you have OCD and worry about symmetry then you can get a rack top bag that sits on the rack.  Mine has thousands of miles under its straps.

Single panniers are just so.....................asymmetric!

« Reply #12 on: 21 January, 2009, 08:04:19 pm »
Or, fit two panniers and split the stuff you carry between them.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."