Author Topic: Thai curry pastes without fish  (Read 2335 times)

Thai curry pastes without fish
« on: 02 March, 2009, 10:24:50 pm »
I was shocked to discover that all the thai curry pastes and sauces I can find contain fish (anchovies). Ugh! For a vegetarian, this is not a pleasant discovery.

Does anyone know of any non-fishy thai bases, or have their own recipes to share?

Julian

• samoture
Re: Thai curry pastes without fish
« Reply #1 on: 02 March, 2009, 10:30:47 pm »
EvilTesco sell a fishy-free one.  I think you have to get the red paste though, not the green one. 

If EvilTesco doesn't appeal, the geo-organics one is vegan:  here and also in Holland & Barrett and Fresh & Wildly Expensive.

Alternatively you can make your own - just replace the Thai fish sauce with light soy sauce.

Craig

« Reply #2 on: 02 March, 2009, 10:34:47 pm »
I have a jar of Blue Dragon Green Curry Paste here, probably got it at Morrisons. It doesn't have any fish in it, and says "suitable for vegetarians and vegans" on it.

« Reply #3 on: 02 March, 2009, 10:37:27 pm »
Thank you both! I'll take a look.

I was looking at Sainsbury's offerings... they ALL have fish in!

Chris N

« Reply #4 on: 02 March, 2009, 10:39:53 pm »
EvilTesco sell a fishy-free one.  I think you have to get the red paste though, not the green one. 

Tesco green curry paste says 'suitable for vegetarians' on it too. :thumbsup:

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #5 on: 02 March, 2009, 10:43:34 pm »
In that case it may be the other way round.  I know one of them is ok and the other isn't.  :)

I also know that Sainsbury's only do un-veggie ones, which is how I found the geo-organics one - Holland & Barratt is next door to Sainsbury's here!

simonp

« Reply #6 on: 02 March, 2009, 10:45:11 pm »
Make your own.  :thumbsup:

I have a thai veggie cookbook that says how.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #7 on: 02 March, 2009, 10:47:39 pm »
Alternatively you can make your own - just replace the Thai fish sauce with light soy sauce.

+1

Takes half an hour to make a supply that will last weeks.  There are many recipes on the web.  The one I tend to use has disappeared, but there are several that are close.  If in doubt, more chillis and less shallots.

Must make some more soon.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

« Reply #8 on: 02 March, 2009, 10:49:17 pm »
Clicky or clicky2 (click individual products for details)

Clicky2 products are sold in our local vegan grocery; they are especially scrupulous about sourcing

Jezza

« Reply #9 on: 03 March, 2009, 12:17:25 am »
It's often shrimp paste that is added. Seems to be more common in green. Anchovies might be nam pla fish sauce.

I use the Thai Taste curry pastes Tom linked to, which don't mention any fish in the ingredients list. 

« Reply #10 on: 03 March, 2009, 01:16:35 pm »
Yebbut...

It tastes so much better with the shrimp paste.  :thumbsup: (I make my own sauces, and forgot to add the shrimp paste once. Never again, unless I'm catering for veggies)).
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

bikenerd

« Reply #11 on: 03 March, 2009, 01:54:57 pm »
We made Goan fish (mackerel) curry last night.  It was yummy.

I know this doesn't help! :)

(However, it was similar to a Thai curry, with coconut milk.  We made our own paste from a recipe by Anjum Anand.)

« Reply #12 on: 03 March, 2009, 09:21:11 pm »
Yebbut Kathy, I'm vegetarian (and hate the taste of fish). :)

« Reply #13 on: 03 March, 2009, 09:33:49 pm »
Fish sauces, never taste that fishy. Nam pla, oyster sauce, worcestershire sauce etc. They've been fermented so long there's no fishy taste. Still the ethical problem though.  A lot of them are naturally high in glutamate, you could always just add a bit of MSG instead.

Jezza

« Reply #14 on: 03 March, 2009, 11:15:54 pm »
Depends what kind you get. I find Thai ones tend to be fishier, and some are pretty ripe. Squid brand is too fishy for me. Golden Boy is good. I prefer the sweeter Vietnamese nuoc mam Phu Quoc, Three Crabs brand. But it's still definitely an acquired taste.   

simonp

« Reply #15 on: 04 March, 2009, 12:05:48 am »
When I was vegetarian for 5 years the one thing I could not give up was my Nam pla prik at the Wrestlers.

« Reply #16 on: 04 March, 2009, 11:24:43 am »
Fish sauce is the classic ingredient in Thai cooking. They tend to use it in everything.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.