Author Topic: Mismatched tyre sizes  (Read 3510 times)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Mismatched tyre sizes
« on: 16 March, 2009, 04:59:17 pm »
This weekend I noticed that my new bike does not have matching tyres.  This is by no means a catastrophe, but I will – in the fullness of time – put on a matching pair.

The front wheel has a Continental Grand Prix 4 Season 700x25 while the rear has a Continental Grand Prix 4000 700x23.

I’ve never run different sized tyres on the same bike.  The previous owner confirmed that it was a case of replacing a damaged tyre with whatever was to hand.  Would it make any difference swapping them so the thinner tyre on is the front wheel?  Are they best the way they are?  Or are they too close in size to make any difference?
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Really Ancien

Re: Mismatched tyre sizes
« Reply #1 on: 16 March, 2009, 05:02:12 pm »
Put the 23 on the front, the rear tyre carries more weight so you are less likely have have a snakebite puncture with a bigger tyre on the back.

Damon.

« Reply #2 on: 16 March, 2009, 05:03:32 pm »
Personally I'd swap them round. Fatter, more puncture resistant one on the back for the extra comfort where most of the weight will be. You could also argue that the thinner one on the front would be more aerodynamic too but I doubt if any mere mortals would notice that difference.

« Reply #3 on: 16 March, 2009, 05:04:18 pm »
What Really and kyuss said + Unless it is worn, in which case you shouldn't swap them!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4 on: 16 March, 2009, 05:04:56 pm »
I'd think it would make no difference whatsoever. I suppose a wider tyre on the back makes more sense in that rear wheels support more weight - at least, when stationary and accelerating.

I have been running a 700C on the back of the Mercian and a 27" on the front. I recently replaced the 1¼" tyre with 1⅛", which gives me clearance for a mudguard.

Edit: wot they said.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #5 on: 16 March, 2009, 05:23:50 pm »
'fess up time!!

Twas me who put the tyres on and got too lazy to change them round the 'right' way. Thanks for your discretion Andrij :)

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #6 on: 16 March, 2009, 05:38:20 pm »
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

border-rider

« Reply #7 on: 16 March, 2009, 05:44:45 pm »
I've run a bigger tyre on the front of the audax bike a few times - as Sheldon said, it can help with comfort on long rides (less road vibration) and if it's a gnarly, gravelly, lanesy route the extra grip on corners is quite useful on the front. But mostly I use the same front & back.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #8 on: 16 March, 2009, 06:16:25 pm »
This is what I've come to expect from yacf: post a question just before leaving the office and have a handful of sensible responses by the time you get home.   :thumbsup:

Thanks.   :)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #9 on: 16 March, 2009, 06:26:13 pm »
I posted a similar Q on URC many years ago before all this forum nonsense  ;)
There was a suggestion that it would be better to put the wider tyre on the front.  I can't for the life of me remember the reason though.
Perhaps something to do with what MV suggested?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #10 on: 16 March, 2009, 06:29:09 pm »
Keep the smaller one at the front.

That way you'll be going (slightly) downhill all the time.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #11 on: 16 March, 2009, 07:20:05 pm »
For a while I used a 32mm front tyre and 28mm rear tyre on my tourer...

a) because I could.  Front forks can take a wider tyre than rear stays.

b) to get more suspension where I wanted it most without risk of pinch-flat with a narrower but softer tyre.

But 32mm was OTT really, so I settled on 28mm front & rear.

It's just as logical though to put the wider tyre where it takes more weight (when you can).
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #12 on: 16 March, 2009, 07:23:24 pm »
I've a 28 on the front and a 25 on the rear , mainly as a stop gap measure , but I do find it strangely comfortable and may keep it that way

Really Ancien

« Reply #13 on: 16 March, 2009, 07:36:23 pm »
I actually have different sized rims front and back on one bike. The rear wheel always takes more hammer because of the dishing, so that benefits from being heavier, the front can be lighter, narrower and more flexible, so it gets a narrower tyre as well.

Damon.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #14 on: 17 March, 2009, 12:28:14 pm »
A couple of times I've run a larger tyre on the back than the front.  I've never done it the other way round, though the comfort argument seems reasonable enough.

Usually, I used the same, as I liked to swap them when part worn.

Getting there...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #15 on: 18 March, 2009, 05:30:24 pm »
I actually have different sized rims front and back on one bike. The rear wheel always takes more hammer because of the dishing, so that benefits from being heavier, the front can be lighter, narrower and more flexible, so it gets a narrower tyre as well.

Now using a weedy front wheel makes sense to me. Does a lighter wheel = more comfort? The "unsprung weight" theory suggests so.

Maybe light front wheel + big front tyre = max comfort?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #16 on: 18 March, 2009, 05:58:31 pm »
How much "comfort" can you get from a bike wheel?  I don't expect any at all from mine.

The front wheel can be lighter than the rear, if you like, because it takes less weight and isn't dished.  But you don't want it to be so weedy that it can't survive a pothole.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

border-rider

« Reply #17 on: 18 March, 2009, 06:07:44 pm »

Mmm.

I'm not sure I'd want to swap them over since the back usually wears more and I prefer to have the roadholding at t front :)

Some people retire the back, put the front on the back and a new one on the front. Is that what you meant ?

Also - if you run *significantly* different sized tyres you can get quite different profiles and wear patterns.  Much weirdness might ensue if you swap them.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #18 on: 18 March, 2009, 07:12:47 pm »
I've never understood the swapping tyres idea.  You still get the same amount of wear overall.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #19 on: 18 March, 2009, 08:36:28 pm »

Mmm.

I'm not sure I'd want to swap them over since the back usually wears more and I prefer to have the roadholding at t front :)

Some people retire the back, put the front on the back and a new one on the front. Is that what you meant ?

Also - if you run *significantly* different sized tyres you can get quite different profiles and wear patterns.  Much weirdness might ensue if you swap them.

^That^
Getting there...

« Reply #20 on: 18 March, 2009, 08:54:37 pm »
I've never understood the swapping tyres idea.  You still get the same amount of wear overall.

Yes, but the idea is that you always have the tyre with most tread/grip on the front, and rear tyres wear faster than front tyres.

I have a 26mm Stradius Elite TG on the SON front just because it has lasted after I swapped to using 25mm GP 4 Seasons on all other wheels.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."