Linked Events

• Tunnel Ride - Birmingham: 09 May, 2009

Author Topic: Tunnel Ride - Birmingham - 9 May 2009  (Read 9405 times)

Re: Tunnel Ride - Birmingham - 9 May 2009
« Reply #50 on: 09 May, 2009, 05:34:05 am »
Ill be riding fixed again today.  :thumbsup:

Don't ask.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #51 on: 09 May, 2009, 07:10:20 am »
Ooooooh.    I don't know what to do.

No.  I'm definately coming on son's hybrid.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #52 on: 09 May, 2009, 08:05:23 am »
MMmmmm Breakfast

Toast, Jam and Coffee

Si

« Reply #53 on: 09 May, 2009, 05:18:44 pm »
thanks to Rob and Russell for a great ride (well, half ride as I peeled off at the lunch stop).

did you ever ind the missing ladies?  I saw a couple cycling off toward Kiddie but was too tired to chase after them to see if it were they!

« Reply #54 on: 09 May, 2009, 05:45:21 pm »
The two laggardly ladies from the start never rejoined the group; but the lady who ended up in Clent by mistake met up with us at the pub for lunch.  The lunch stop was somewhat prolonged by someone finding they couldn't get their lock undone, I had to nip home for a hacksaw before the ride could continue!  I peeled off at Galton Bridge, lovely ride and thanks to all involved.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #55 on: 09 May, 2009, 07:10:53 pm »
Excellent ride - thanks to Rob for organising it ('twould have been a tragedy for it not to go ahead), and to all for the company.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #56 on: 09 May, 2009, 07:23:07 pm »
Delighted to say I got to Moor St for the train to SuA with about 3 minutes to spare ... another good tunnel ride despite the loss of 2 ladies, the temporary loss of another and the need for a hacksaw to sever an errant lock (which did delay things a little)

... perhaps a re-run in the Autumn might be appropriate ... an alternative might be to do what we did once before - that is to start at Snow Hill Station and ride from Brum to the Tunnel and thence to Stourbridge for lunch (making a shorter ride which may be better in limited daylight time and lower temperatures) - options then are riding back to Brum or the train.

Thanks again to everyone for turning up, and Ru88ell for the use of the ride route ... it must be moving from "Almost Legendary" to "Legendary"  ;D

Rob

no97trap

« Reply #57 on: 09 May, 2009, 08:21:54 pm »
Nice to meet up again. I'll be around for the Autumn/Winter version - I promise!!

single2ride

« Reply #58 on: 10 May, 2009, 08:45:27 am »
Thanks Rob, The tunnel ride was a good day out despite my baptism in the brambles along the 'sands of doom'  :)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #59 on: 10 May, 2009, 01:22:04 pm »
Another good day in good company.  Thanks to all.
Three cheers for Johnny Thin and his Jammed Bike Lock solution.  Shame on the rest of us for not having packed hacksaws in our tool kits.  ;D

As we passed the band stand at Cannon Hill and continued along NCR5 back towards South Brum Single2Ride commented that as we were well into lap 2, we should continue and complete the double.
I suggested the pub.  Guess who won?

Quote from: single2ride
a good day out despite my baptism in the brambles along the 'sands of doom'  :)

*snigger*
 ;D
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Zoidburg

« Reply #60 on: 10 May, 2009, 03:43:50 pm »
I awoke this morning to find the rear tyre on the fixie was completely flat, "a slow one" I thought.

Tyre off and tube out, no thorns or glass in the tyres, no visable pinch flats, nowt

I inflate the tube to see if it was the valve getting knocked open, then I discover that the valve was ripped half way out.

I shouldnt have gone 40 yards in that state, let alone 40 miles, I must have pleased the Valkeries or something.

« Reply #61 on: 10 May, 2009, 06:46:59 pm »
My friends and I thoroughly enjoyed this years Tunnel ride. Though our  'lock in' at lunchtime was spoilt by the appearance of Johnny Thin with a hacksaw.

Weather was fine all day. It only started raining during our second pint outside our 'local'  :thumbsup:

Many thanks to the organiser and the originator of the ride for a good day out.

I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #62 on: 11 May, 2009, 04:13:36 pm »
Thanks to Rob for the organising, it was another good day out.  I especially liked the bit round the Clent hills & never would have thought you could have a ride that was so pleasant around such a built up region.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.