Author Topic: Riding from Chelmsford to Southwold on 7-4-09 and back on 11-4-09  (Read 3619 times)

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
I'm riding up to Southwold for a family break again on Tuesday, from my house its about 82 miles.

The escapade is dependent on the weather being mostly dry.

The route takes in Hatfield Peveral, Wickham Bishops, Tiptree, Colchester, Ardleigh, Manningtree, Holbrook, Ipswich, Martlesham, Woodbridge, Tunstall, Snape, Westleton, Walberswick and across the bridge to the Harbour Inn at Southwold.

I would be glad of any company along the route for either leg which will start around 0930.

There is a station at Darsham near Westleton which goes back to Ipswich.

I like a couple of stops for tea/ coffee/cake etc I don't tend to drink beer when riding.

I averaged 15mph last time.

So let me know if you're interested  :thumbsup:

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Re: Riding from Chelmsford to Southwold on 7-4-09 and back on 11-4-09
« Reply #1 on: 03 April, 2009, 10:36:02 am »
Hi Bloomers,

I regularly do the run between Tiptree and Manningtree (I live just outside Ardleigh) and would be very glad to bear you company. My average speed is only about 12.5-13mph though (depending on wind etc) (I mean meteorological conditions, not flatulence). If you'd like me to join you, let me know. I know some nicer B-roads between Colchester and Manningtree which are quicker and more picturesque than the A137 which I think you've planned (which takes you through Ardleigh).

[EDIT]I mean to bear you company between Tiptree and Manningtree, not the whole way... If my speed isn't too much of an impediment. If you're going on the WARTY tomorrow you will get a chance to see me in action.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

bloomers100

« Reply #2 on: 05 April, 2009, 08:56:35 am »
That's great. Have you an alternative for circumnavigating Colchester town centre as well.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #3 on: 05 April, 2009, 09:03:32 am »
No, but I don't actually find it too bad at all. Well I may know a couple of little side routes that are better but I often end up going along the dual carriageway called Southway on my way to the Layer road. There are some cycle paths around the town but I find them pretty tricky with my trike (they have hairpin bends, etc) and they take ages. Do you have a GPS route of your planned route or do you just follow maps?

This is a quick route I've plotted from the jam factory at Tiptree to Manningtree station. The bit from Colchester to Manningtree is along some rather nice country lanes and about the same distance as going through Ardleigh but more picturesque. I live in Great Bromley so I ride these lanes all the time. Take a look at
   Bike Route Toaster
and see if it tickles your fancy.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

bloomers100

« Reply #4 on: 05 April, 2009, 12:22:27 pm »
That looks great to me.

I haven't a GPS route, I picked my route from a map and made a route card for the fiddly bits, but I know it now as I did it before in February, so I shall navigate from memory.

Last time Annie said she had a route through Ipswich which was better than the Kesgrave Road option, I'd be interested to know about that if you read this Annie.

annie

« Reply #5 on: 05 April, 2009, 12:33:24 pm »
This is the route I would take out of Ipswich.  I would offer to ride with you on Tuesday but my bike is currently off the road.

Gmaps Pedometer

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6 on: 05 April, 2009, 12:55:52 pm »
This is the route I would take out of Ipswich.  I would offer to ride with you on Tuesday but my bike is currently off road.

Gmaps Pedometer

Yebbut, what about your other bike!  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

annie

« Reply #7 on: 05 April, 2009, 01:01:46 pm »
This is the route I would take out of Ipswich.  I would offer to ride with you on Tuesday but my bike is currently off road.

Gmaps Pedometer

Yebbut, what about your other bike!  ;D

With nobblies on? ;)

bloomers100

« Reply #8 on: 05 April, 2009, 01:17:56 pm »
That looks worth a go, I think someone suggested something similar last time.

Thanks.

bloomers100

« Reply #9 on: 06 April, 2009, 08:56:28 am »
Shall we meet at the Tiptree cross roads B1022 j/w B1024 at 1015 - 1030 hrs.

Do you want to swap numbers via PM for the event of any visitations, bad weather or problems?

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #10 on: 06 April, 2009, 09:19:51 am »
Shall we meet at the Tiptree cross roads B1022 j/w B1024 at 1015 - 1030 hrs.
Do you mean the B1022 and B1023 as the B1024 is in Kelvedon, not Tiptree (according to my map!) I can see a whacking great crossroads in the middle of Tiptree anyway so I'll be there 10:15ish.

bloomers100

« Reply #11 on: 06 April, 2009, 09:26:05 am »
Yep, thats the place I think there's a mini roundabout or two there.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #12 on: 07 April, 2009, 01:32:34 pm »
Well I joined bloomers100 on the leg from Tiptree to Manningtree having struggled there in the face of a rather blowy headwind. Anyway I made it in time and we cycled back in company along some very attractive country lanes.

I'm not the speediest of cyclists but I hit a new top speed on this journey – look and be amazed!

It was good to meet bloomers100 and I hope he makes it the rest of the way OK. I popped into Manningtree after we split up so that I could buy some hot cross buns (had smelled some cooking in Colchester town centre and the smell was most enticing).

« Reply #13 on: 07 April, 2009, 02:06:33 pm »
Unusual for the 605/705 to record such high speed spikes.
If you have the map for the Edge why don't you copy it over and use it as a base map for the GTC?  ;)
Mmm, hot cross buns, fresh baked in the shop.  :P

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #14 on: 07 April, 2009, 02:13:00 pm »
It's a Garmin 205, not one of those posh ones! I haven't bought the map for the Training Centre as it seems a waste of money, I plot all my routes on bikeroutetoaster and only use Garmin's software for record keeping of ride distances.

Interestingly, when climbing a steep hill a month ago my Garmin unit said the hill was 63%. Another chap beside me, with the identical model, had 20%. Ianrauk's Garmin had him doing 165mph the other day so these oddities clearly aren't entirely unknown.

Still, I hope you're all impressed at how fast I can cycle!

« Reply #15 on: 07 April, 2009, 02:16:40 pm »
Still, I hope you're all impressed at how fast I can cycle!
247.9MPH, Pah! My 205 went up to 750kmh! (my knees hurt)   8)

bloomers100

« Reply #16 on: 12 April, 2009, 09:11:26 am »
Yep arrived in good shape and rode home yesterday. Met Auntie Helen, my first forumite (all though I met Tokomak before I knew about the forum).

I tried to follow the excellent route back that Helen showed me, maybe we were chatting too much, I failed and ended up across Aberton reservoir and went home via Tolleshunt D'Arcy, few extra miles there me thinks.

I used the suggested route out through the top of Ipswich and much preferred it. Suffolk can be quite hilly.

Stayed dry yesterday too and got some tan lines.