Author Topic: Polishing scratches from glasses ?  (Read 3356 times)

Polishing scratches from glasses ?
« on: 31 May, 2009, 12:27:57 pm »
My Bolle Edge 2 cycling glasses are about 12 years old now and as far as I know spares are not supported any more.

They are the type of glasses with a prescription insert and an interchangeable plastic front shield in various tints.

The clear front shield has a few minor scratches on it, which I would like to polish out if possible.

The internet suggests all sorts of things from toothpaste to Brasso, but I'm reluctant to try anything unproven in case I wreck my glasses.

Has anybody had any practical experience of polishing out scratches in plastic? If so, how successful was it ?

I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: Polishing scratches from glasses ?
« Reply #1 on: 31 May, 2009, 12:44:01 pm »
I have successfully polished out scratches in a plastic bike light with Solvol Autosol metal polish.

I will try it with an old pair of sunglasses.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #2 on: 31 May, 2009, 01:12:29 pm »
I've polished out scratches with toothpaste.

Try at your own risk.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3 on: 31 May, 2009, 01:14:36 pm »
UPDATE (Autosol on sunglasses):  I don't think it's done any harm, but it hasn't done any good either  :(
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #4 on: 31 May, 2009, 02:41:37 pm »
'Polywatch' used by jewellers to polish out scratches on watch crystals. Works a treat! :)

« Reply #5 on: 31 May, 2009, 09:23:39 pm »
T-cut and elbow grease.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Paul Smith SRCC

• Surrey Road Cyling Club
  • 45+ years a club rider, 33+ years in cycle trade.
    • www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: 01 June, 2009, 09:21:56 am »
I've polished out scratches with toothpaste.

Try at your own risk.
Seconded, also works for those who when they get a puncture  turn their bikes upside down and stand bike on the saddle and bars, then realise they have scratched their computer

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

donpedro

• ain`t haulin` any lambs to the marketplace anymore
    • But, I'm Swedish!
« Reply #7 on: 01 June, 2009, 10:19:46 am »
More expensive lenses may have anti reflective coats etc that might get damaged. I brought my Rudy's along when buying some new contacts and had my optician do it for free!  8)
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."

« Reply #8 on: 01 June, 2009, 04:34:21 pm »
Brasso works on the clear lenses of goggles (ski goggles, or full-face helmet goggles.  I know this because my son uses it to reduce the amount of "fogging" on his goggles caused by wipping them with a dirty glove  ::-)

Obviously it will also remove any coating that is on the lense, but it certainly polishes out scratches.

« Reply #9 on: 01 June, 2009, 04:58:10 pm »
Micromesh is your friend. There is Supplier in the UK I believe.

I have used it to polish my guitar after some damage repair and it is superb. Grades go up to about 4000 and they sell various repair kits. I imagine their counter top kit would solve your problem.
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"