Author Topic: Taps  (Read 1723 times)

Taps
« on: 10 August, 2009, 01:52:50 pm »
Anyone know anything about taps?   We need a single mixer or two tap for the new small cloakroom basin.  mrs ao thought get two taps - then the soap could go between them ;)  I found a pair by Bristan, but then noticed that the two taps in the bathroom basin are by Bristan and they both drip if the levers aren't postioned correctly; which kind of put me off really.  Also need a decent kitchen mixer (unless the old can be repaired)...

Andy
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
Re: Taps
« Reply #1 on: 10 August, 2009, 11:45:46 pm »
We had these at the old Woofage Towers. The spout is higher than others I saw so there's more space to get your hands under. Never had any dripping problems.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #2 on: 11 August, 2009, 04:16:31 pm »
Look good thanks -  will add them to my 'shortlist'.  :)  I prefer mixer taps.  Anyway have booked a friendly plumber for a day in September now.

« Reply #3 on: 12 August, 2009, 02:18:22 pm »
Anyone know anything about taps?   We need a single mixer or two tap for the new small cloakroom basin.  mrs ao thought get two taps - then the soap could go between them ;)  I found a pair by Bristan, but then noticed that the two taps in the bathroom basin are by Bristan and they both drip if the levers aren't postioned correctly; which kind of put me off really.  Also need a decent kitchen mixer (unless the old can be repaired)...

Andy
Surely the levers can be fairly accurately positioned - on taps with levers its isually a spline rather than a square that the levers fit on.  If they drip, new washers should fix it.

« Reply #4 on: 12 August, 2009, 06:17:11 pm »

Andy
Surely the levers can be fairly accurately positioned - on taps with levers its isually a spline rather than a square that the levers fit on.  If they drip, new washers should fix it.

OK, thanks - I need to get up in the loft, hook up the ball cock in the cold water tank and drain it, then have a look at these taps and the loo cistern too.  Something else on my long list.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5 on: 16 August, 2009, 07:32:25 am »
IME taps are something where you *don't* get what you pay for.  The insides of them are pretty much the same, once you've decided between ceramic and conventional washer.  The main thing to look for is decent thick chroming (I've seen it wear off within a year on some very expensive taps) and a design which makes it relatively easy to disassemble.  A pull-off easy-clean cover is much better than a screwed-on one, which will be sezied solid after a few months in a hard water area.

Do fit them with mini stop valves underneath (the sort that are turned with a screwdriver).
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #6 on: 16 August, 2009, 08:03:50 am »
My neighbour is a plumber. He particularly recommended Bristan, as the spares support is apparently exemplary. He also had good things to say about Aqualisa.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #7 on: 23 August, 2009, 11:20:13 pm »
Do fit them with mini stop valves underneath (the sort that are turned with a screwdriver).

Whilst remembering that these restrict flow.
It is simpler than it looks.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #8 on: 24 August, 2009, 09:47:08 am »
Whilst remembering that these restrict flow.

Not if you use full-bore types ;).
Pen Pusher