Author Topic: NY Fixed Ride - Northallerton - 17th October 2009  (Read 11819 times)

alan

Re: NY Fixed Ride - Northallerton - possibly 17th October 2009
« Reply #50 on: 09 October, 2009, 05:38:27 pm »
I cannot attend due to work comittments :(

« Reply #51 on: 09 October, 2009, 07:48:14 pm »
Um, is anyone apart from MSeries and I planning to attend on the 17th October?

« Reply #52 on: 09 October, 2009, 07:52:49 pm »
Warburton was asking me about it, I'll check with him. *I* hope to have my new bike ready for this.

« Reply #53 on: 09 October, 2009, 07:54:48 pm »
Haven't heard from Ian H (not that one) - I'll ask him this weekend.

And if he turns up, I'll finally be able to give Tiermat those Aldi tights he asked me to buy a year ago...

« Reply #55 on: 09 October, 2009, 08:04:36 pm »
He can't be coming.  It's not possible.

alan

« Reply #56 on: 09 October, 2009, 10:06:22 pm »
He can't be coming.  It's not possible.

although I don't know the guy I hope his condition improves even if surgery is needed  :demon:
hope no offence is taken

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #57 on: 10 October, 2009, 09:10:48 am »
Unfortunately I will be in deepest darkest Swindon that weekend, which is a real pity as it is nearly a year now since I managed to get out for a proper bike ride....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #58 on: 10 October, 2009, 12:54:32 pm »
Oh no!  And it's a shame you can't make the ride...

Is this going to be a duet?

« Reply #59 on: 11 October, 2009, 05:49:58 pm »
Looks like it might be. I've been hanging off replying as I've been trying to wangle a day pass for this, but to no avail. Step son's 18th bash on Saturday and no way out of it.  Apologies.

Next year mebe, or hows about one down this neck of the woods?  Not sure that fixed would be a good idea though ;)

« Reply #60 on: 11 October, 2009, 10:24:40 pm »
Looks like it might be. I've been hanging off replying as I've been trying to wangle a day pass for this, but to no avail. Step son's 18th bash on Saturday and no way out of it.  Apologies.

Next year mebe, or hows about one down this neck of the woods?  Not sure that fixed would be a good idea though ;)

I thought you'd gone quiet.   Well, never mind.  As for a ride round the Wolds, if you build it, they will come.

And it's not very hilly round there.  Bishop Wilton Wold barely tops 200 metres ;)

« Reply #61 on: 11 October, 2009, 10:36:15 pm »
Well, it's a 10 am start next Saturday, and so far the cast list is as follows:

Me
MSeries
Warburton
Danny Merlik (with gears).

+Anyone else who fancies it.  MSeries is trying to drum up interest from the Leeds Fixed Gear Crew.  I'm hoping for some really hideous, pimpy bikes and a trackstanding contest in the Northallerton train station car park.  I reckon I'll win if none of those buggers turn up.

Re: NY Fixed Ride - Northallerton - definitely 17th October 2009
« Reply #62 on: 12 October, 2009, 08:55:01 pm »
Edit: it's a 9.30 start.  Should make for a reasonably early finish, depending on how long we spend in the pubs/cafes en route.

Re: NY Fixed Ride - Northallerton - definitely 17th October 2009
« Reply #64 on: 15 October, 2009, 08:09:10 pm »
Damn.

I might not bother doing spoke cards after all.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #65 on: 17 October, 2009, 11:04:56 am »
 I'm hoping for some really hideous, pimpy bikes and a trackstanding contest in the Northallerton train station car park.  I reckon I'll win if none of those buggers turn up.

Mseries reports

SNAFU on trains for NY Fixeds

so I assume you won, Deano.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Re: NY Fixed Ride - Northallerton - 17th October 2009
« Reply #66 on: 17 October, 2009, 08:03:55 pm »
I'm hoping for some really hideous, pimpy bikes and a trackstanding contest in the Northallerton train station car park.  I reckon I'll win if none of those buggers turn up.

Mseries reports

SNAFU on trains for NY Fixeds

so I assume you won, Deano.
I got there first actually, Danny Merlik got the start time wrong, if that's possible, so he and Deano were late. I track standed for 10 minutes while I waited but no one was there to see it.

« Reply #67 on: 17 October, 2009, 08:29:27 pm »
anyway it was a grand day out, one cafe, one pub, two black sheep

« Reply #68 on: 17 October, 2009, 08:31:36 pm »
We didn't bother with the trackstanding competition, did we?  We were a little late, and I would have won anyway.

It was a good route, though - I'll reprise it next year for everyone who missed it.  North Yorkshire is blessed with a network of (nearly) traffic-free lanes, which were sparkling in their autumn finery.

It took just over six hours to ride, which included about three quarters of an hour in a cafe, and an hour and a half in the pub.  That's Proper Cycling, that is.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #69 on: 19 October, 2009, 08:19:28 am »
Pencil me in for next year Deano, it sounds fab.

« Reply #70 on: 19 October, 2009, 07:25:58 pm »
Will do, Tony.  It's probably too early to start a thread about it, mind.

Re: NY Fixed Ride - Northallerton - possibly January 2010
« Reply #71 on: 23 October, 2009, 09:55:37 pm »
Does anyone fancy this as a ride in late January?  I've had a request to put this on again, and since so many people missed out first time round, it would be a shame not to.

It won't be quite as spectacular as in autumn, but the lanes are usually free of the worst of the ice, and it is a lovely route, with plenty of friendly pubs, cafes and other stopping places, and it's easy to short-cut back to Northallerton along main roads.  It took the two of us a leisurely just over 6 hours.

Any interest?  Not sure of exact dates yet.  As ever, fixed is preferred (just cos it's better), but everyone's welcome.

« Reply #72 on: 24 October, 2009, 10:13:06 pm »
Does anyone fancy this as a ride in late January?  I've had a request to put this on again, and since so many people missed out first time round, it would be a shame not to.

It won't be quite as spectacular as in autumn, but the lanes are usually free of the worst of the ice, and it is a lovely route, with plenty of friendly pubs, cafes and other stopping places, and it's easy to short-cut back to Northallerton along main roads.  It took the two of us a leisurely just over 6 hours.

Any interest?  Not sure of exact dates yet.  As ever, fixed is preferred (just cos it's better), but everyone's welcome.
Of course.