Author Topic: Alternatives to MSAccess  (Read 1046 times)

Alternatives to MSAccess
« on: 08 August, 2009, 01:23:02 pm »
I've a fair bit of data held in relational databases in Microsoft Access.   If I were to switch to ubuntu completely I need to find an alternative.  Free.

What is available?

OpenOffice doesn't seem to have anything.

MySQL I've looked at but only seem to be able to locate the management tools, not the actual database or ability to create one.

Craig

Re: Alternatives to MSAccess
« Reply #1 on: 08 August, 2009, 01:35:26 pm »
OpenOffice includes "Base". It can open MS Access databases.

« Reply #2 on: 08 August, 2009, 02:28:21 pm »
 :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

RTFM

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

How have I missed that in the last x months?     <looks for machine with MS db on it>

« Reply #3 on: 08 August, 2009, 02:43:48 pm »
Ubuntu.com has a page that lists all the alternative Programmes to MS ;)
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

« Reply #4 on: 08 August, 2009, 03:55:08 pm »
MySQL database
PostgreSQL
Oracle10g Express (4GB data limited)

These are all vastly more capable than Access, but may well be overkill. There's all sorts of stuff like database functions, triggers and referential integrity to get to grips with, if you feel like it.
The other thing to note is that they are the database back end only, not the client forms and such.

« Reply #5 on: 09 August, 2009, 09:54:15 am »
I've found SQLite to be adequate for my purposes on Unix/Linux boxes, since it supports most of the important SQL stuff, but not all the more complex clever stuff that MySQL, PostgreSQL etc do.  It's also tiny in comparison.  I don't generally need anything too clever in the way of databases, so smaller and easier suits me fine.

...but as others have said, this is only the backend, you'll quite possibly need something pretty to allow you to do stuff.  Since my databases are all automagically talked to by PHP and Perl code, I don't need a general front-end.  I believe that there are some GUI front-ends for SQLite, but I've never tried them, so can't advise.

(SQLite also runs on Windows, MacOS (!), etc).
Actually, it is rocket science.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #6 on: 11 August, 2009, 07:30:44 am »
But it is the front end that anyone who uses access will need.