Linked Events

• Dun Run for Wimps: 18 August, 2008

Author Topic: Dun Run for Wimps  (Read 23371 times)

annie

Re: Dun Run for Wimps
« Reply #150 on: 18 August, 2008, 09:04:24 am »
It is official, I am a wimp.

I have informed my  mother I will not be going.  I an and have ridden in some pretty horrendous weather but I have a choice and I have decided not to go.  I cannot afford to become more run down at the mo.  Am going to take some tea upstairs to my daughter and we shall take the dogs out for another walk later, probably stopping for tea and crumpets.

Sometimes it is necessary to be a bore, sorry.

« Reply #151 on: 18 August, 2008, 09:14:43 am »
If you are not 100%, then riding in difficult conditions will take it's toll even more. I think you've made a sensible decision. Look after yourself and have a good day with Nutkin. <MSeries waves to Nutkin>

« Reply #152 on: 18 August, 2008, 09:23:35 am »
That sounds like the smart decision Annie. Take it easy in the week and make sure you're raring to go for Mildenhall this weekend!

annie

« Reply #153 on: 18 August, 2008, 09:46:52 am »
Thanks folks.

Having already walked in the rain I will wait until later for another soaking.

Me and said daughter will visit Diss and take her skip bike to be looked at and either skipped/repaired.  Lunch will be consumed at some stage.

Silliness is absent for the time being but may return later.

Apologies to Nutkin for being so indecisive, useless, dithery, pathetic and not me at all.

The rain continues to fall.  I think an early night and a long bath followed by a good movie are in order.

ronstrutt

« Reply #154 on: 18 August, 2008, 12:12:22 pm »
I wonder whether Saturday 6th September would be a good idea for a repeat?
i'd have to ride back from Corfu for that. Riding down from Norfolk was bad enough!
'

ronstrutt

« Reply #155 on: 18 August, 2008, 03:37:34 pm »
Well, we've got here! And we managed to dodge the rain for most of the way (unlike my ride down from Norfolk). Sea too rough for swimming.

Now for the interesting ride back into the wind!

« Reply #156 on: 18 August, 2008, 07:36:08 pm »
It is official, I am a wimp.

I have informed my  mother I will not be going.  I an and have ridden in some pretty horrendous weather but I have a choice and I have decided not to go.  I cannot afford to become more run down at the mo.  Am going to take some tea upstairs to my daughter and we shall take the dogs out for another walk later, probably stopping for tea and crumpets.

Sometimes it is necessary to be a bore, sorry.

If you're a wimp, then I must be a wimp too.
The real secret behind my sucess last year was knowing when it was time to rest.
Be good to yourself Annie. You can work much harder and much easier when you are feeling good, strong and healthy. Pushing yourself when you are tired gets you a lot more tired and at a ever increasing rate.
Take 5, relax, chill out and catch some Zs.
You'll feel and look* better for it.

*If that is even possible ;)

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #157 on: 18 August, 2008, 09:36:05 pm »
Pretty good advice there. Take it from one who went wrong last year......rest is your friend.
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

annie

« Reply #158 on: 18 August, 2008, 09:44:53 pm »
Thank you Steve and Jasper, you are both quite right.  I think that weeks of sleep dep and some other health probs meant that I just need to be a little bit selfish for a while. 

I haven't watched tv for weeks but this afternoon after Nutkin left I snuggled up on the sofa in my jim jams, wrapped myself in a blankie and watched a movie, it was so wonderful.  I took some meds to settle my tum and am feeling a bit more human now.

:-* :-*

« Reply #159 on: 18 August, 2008, 09:55:15 pm »
...... feeling a bit more human now.

Take care of yourself Annie, MSeries prescribes more R&R

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #160 on: 18 August, 2008, 10:01:05 pm »
Thank you Steve and Jasper, you are both quite right.  I think that weeks of sleep dep and some other health probs meant that I just need to be a little bit selfish for a while. 

I haven't watched tv for weeks but this afternoon after Nutkin left I snuggled up on the sofa in my jim jams, wrapped myself in a blankie and watched a movie, it was so wonderful.  I took some meds to settle my tum and am feeling a bit more human now.

I have never been human, what does it feel like?
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #161 on: 18 August, 2008, 11:13:22 pm »
Well, I'm back! It was a pity that more were not there - and that's not meant as a criticism to any of the sick, injured and otherwise engaged. Get well soon - and Annie - lots more relaxing and Guinness for you! ;)

The weather was rather kinder than perhaps we had expected. There was some moisture as we left Ipswich, but not enough to warrant a waterproof and throughout the first hour the sky brightened but none of the four of us (Dave, TimO, Mrs. Wow and myself) dared to comment that blue was showing and indeed we did get some genuine sunshine. We also benefitted from a very helpful tail wind.

In the confusion of who was in and who was out I completely forgot the rendez-vous with Bazzerp and a few text messages led to the decision that we would meet at Snape. Ronstrutt arrived at the Dog and Duck at Campsea Ashe a few minutes before the Gang of Four and tea and coffee was consumed. By this time the sun (what there was of it) was over the imaginary yardarm so I sampled some Adnams.

After Bazzerp swelled our ranks to 6, we took a detour into Leiston so that he could raid a cash machine and then he showed us a Much Better Route to Dunwich through Eastbridge, where lunch was had at the Eel's Foot, and then Minsmere. We arrived at the beach, where one brave soul was in the water, but it was too much for Ron and for me.

From this point on it was a hard slog as the brisk southerly was often entirely in our faces or at other times trying to blow us sideways and our average speed dropped by 1 mph. Eventually we trundled into Stowmarket station with about 35 minutes to spare before the 8.29 train arrived. By the time we arrived home Mrs. Wow had joined the sick list and she took to her bed, head throbbing, with nothing more than a cup of tea for sustenance.

I found that harder work than the Dun Run.

71.24 miles in 7h 13m 10s (9.8mph). Top speed:32.2, on the hill approaching Stowmarket station in the last few hundred yards of the ride.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

annie

« Reply #162 on: 18 August, 2008, 11:23:30 pm »

I have never been human, what does it feel like?
Thanks both of you.  Tomorrow will be a very lazy day, apart from walking the dogs.

Being a 'little bit human' is like adding milk to my coffee or putting jam on my toast, not quite complete but a little bit better than just the not quite there sort of feeling that I have had over the last few days.

Wow, sorry to hear that father isn't too well, give him a big hug from me.

Missed you today.  Sorry to have let you down. :-*

ronstrutt

« Reply #163 on: 18 August, 2008, 11:35:48 pm »
Many thanks to Wowbagger for organising the day and all involved for their company. It was a pity we were a little depleted but for very understandable reasons. I look forward to riding with Annie and NSTN on a future occasion. Hope your various ailments soon clear up but taking it easy can only have helped.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #164 on: 18 August, 2008, 11:41:28 pm »
Wow, sorry to hear that father isn't too well, give him a big hug from me.

Missed you today.  Sorry to have let you down. :-*

Annie, I was glad you did. It showed that you are putting yourself first occasionally.  :-*

Mind you, I'm really looking forward to our next ride whenever it happens.  :thumbsup:
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #165 on: 18 August, 2008, 11:46:49 pm »
I've also just got back, and after the headwind to Stowmarket from Dunwich, I also had to fight the headwind back to Croydon.  After 93 miles or so, I'm fairly knackered.  Along with the FNRttC and other bits of cycling, I've done over 200 miles this (long) weekend, which is a record for quite a time.

It was a shame that several people had to pre-emptively bale, the day turned out to be drier than I expected, the only rain I really experienced was a little bit of drizzle between Croydon and Liverpool Street, and much the same on the return stretch.  The Run itself was remarkably dry, if a little dull and overcast for a fair bit.

Along with Dave I did paddle my toes in the sea at Dunwich, which was remarkably busy considering it's really a fairly pebbly beach in the middle of nowhere.  Ice Creams were consumed.

Many thanks to Wow for organising things and directing us along the ride, I certainly had a good time. :thumbsup:
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #166 on: 19 August, 2008, 12:09:51 am »
Glad you all had a good ride  :)

Sorry for not going, but I know that if I had had a full day of cycling today, with a late finish, it would have made me more prone to colds and what not - and I'm too busy with stuff to have that ATM.

« Reply #167 on: 19 August, 2008, 12:49:08 pm »
I'm pleased you had a good time and the weather was kind-ish.

I think I probably did the right thing. I had the day booked off work so spent a nice lazy day doing nothing much apart from drinking a lot of tea and eating biscuits.

Can just about turn a key with that hand at the moment but it is weak. I don't think it would have appreciated a long ride although the commute today was ok.

« Reply #168 on: 19 August, 2008, 01:19:22 pm »
I just had a look at the photos I took on the beach, and have now realised that I accidentally had the camera in Macro mode, so every shot is very very very fuzzy.  The only one which is just about acceptable, if you don't have it too big, is this one showing Dave's Ice Cream (and hand):

I really need to practice more distance on the bike, after 95 miles yesterday, and my normal 11.5 mile commute, I noticed it in my legs, walking up the two floors back to the lab after lunch. :-\
Actually, it is rocket science.

ronstrutt

« Reply #169 on: 19 August, 2008, 03:00:48 pm »

I think I probably did the right thing...

Can just about turn a key with that hand at the moment but it is weak. I don't think it would have appreciated a long ride although the commute today was ok.

I'm absolutely certain you did the right thing. If you let something like that get out of hand (no pun intended) the effects can last for months.

« Reply #170 on: 19 August, 2008, 08:00:14 pm »

I'm absolutely certain you did the right thing. If you let something like that get out of hand (no pun intended) the effects can last for months.

Yes. It's been a few days since the FNRTTC now and your hand doesn't seem to have got much better.
Is it getting any better?
If not, maybe it's worth seeing a doctor. It's probably OK and will most likely get better. Well, that's what I think, but I'm not a doctor.
If I get any discomfort and weakness in my hands it usualy goes within a week, unless I'm doing a lot of riding. I very rarely get any bother though.

It takes a very long time to regain a few weeks worth of sleep debt. You need lots of rest. Your sleep debt most likely gave you all the other health problems.
You enjoy your rest. The world won't stop turning just because you aren't running around after everyone.
Be good to yourself, at least be as good to yourself as you are to others. We'd all like to treat you as well as you treat us, so maybe you can do that for us as a little favour to us all?
Gwan Annie. Be really good to yourself, just for us eh. ;) :thumbsup:

« Reply #171 on: 19 August, 2008, 08:08:18 pm »

You enjoy your rest. The world won't stop turning just because you aren't running around after everyone.
Be good to yourself, at least be as good to yourself as you are to others. We'd all like to treat you as well as you treat us, so maybe you can do that for us as a little favour to us all?
Gwan Annie. Be really good to yourself, just for us eh. ;) :thumbsup:

Here here

« Reply #172 on: 20 August, 2008, 12:31:14 pm »

Yes. It's been a few days since the FNRTTC now and your hand doesn't seem to have got much better.
Is it getting any better?
If not, maybe it's worth seeing a doctor. It's probably OK and will most likely get better. Well, that's what I think, but I'm not a doctor.
If I get any discomfort and weakness in my hands it usualy goes within a week, unless I'm doing a lot of riding. I very rarely get any bother though.

The numbness is almost gone but the hand is still weak when it come to turning keys or using a tin opener. I think it would have exacerbated it if I'd gone on the Dun Run, as it is I've had an easy week with just the 10 mile round-trip commute each day.

ronstrutt

« Reply #173 on: 20 August, 2008, 06:33:03 pm »
The numbness is almost gone... I think it would have exacerbated it if I'd gone on the Dun Run, as it is I've had an easy week with just the 10 mile round-trip commute each day.

Very sensible. I did for mine during my Dover to Durness ride in late June and it's only slightly improved nearly two months later. Last time it happened it took over six months to recover.