Author Topic: Cycle Lanes place cyclists in danger  (Read 1738 times)

Cycle Lanes place cyclists in danger
« on: 25 September, 2009, 12:57:05 pm »
Yes I know we've done this to death, but I just had to post this.

I had taken some photos of the approach to the Humber Bridge last month but the camera broke and they didn't come out. (memo to self: finish writing that trip up.)

I was just browsing the Cycle Facility of the Month site, and saw that they have the photo shown in April 2009.  

This cycle lane swings from the left hand side of the road, through any overtaking traffic that is heading for the car park/visitor centre (this road was quite busy back in May when we drove in there), through any oncoming traffic that is exiting the car park, then goes onto the pavement.  At the back of the photo you can see the anti-cyclist barriers across the pavement that require a very slow speed slalom to get through.

This is an extremely hazardous layout.  The bulk of the motor traffic here is people visiting the site, so I would suspect that they are not local, and possibly tired drivers ready for a break.  In other words they will be looking around, trying to work out where they need to go, and certainly won't be expecting a cyclist to swerve across in front of them (note that there are no "Give Way" markings for the cyclist).  Also worthy of note is the junction on the left of the photo, which is the entrance to the coach/lorry park.  Left turning HGVs anybody?

This is the location of the site.  google maps link.  Please ignore the route highlighted, google only knows the roads, but cyclists want to get from A (where the photo was taken) to B (where there is a link up onto the cycle lane alongside the bridge).

The cycle route, having taken cyclists onto the pavement, cuts through the trees to the west of the car park, and exits onto the road at position B on that map.  Here it is even more lethal!  (but my photo didn't work :( )  If you zoom right in you can see the painted lane.  

This is a two way road, with a contra flow cycle lane!  Worse, that contraflow cycle lane dives across the road - again without give way markings so a cyclist might well dive straight out into traffic  :'(

So, how could this have been better implemented?
1) Do not put a cycle lane crossing the traffic flow.
2) Route the cyclists through the car park.  This means that not only can they use the facilities, but they also take a sensible line just to the left of the traffic flow and are not placed at risk.
3) This can be implemented just via signage, no need to paint a lane.  However if the planners really feel their childhood colouring book calling then a bit of colour could be applied to the tarmac to help guide the cyclist.

RJ

• Droll rat
Re: Cycle Lanes place cyclists in danger
« Reply #1 on: 25 September, 2009, 01:03:52 pm »
Quite so.

« Reply #2 on: 26 September, 2009, 09:23:30 am »
WTF were they thinking - OK, nothing apparently!

If i was riding along that stretch of road, I would be in the primary before I got that far due to the junction & pinch point ahead.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #3 on: 26 September, 2009, 11:11:52 am »
It beggars belief.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #4 on: 26 September, 2009, 11:18:37 am »
Just ride on the carriageway and not in the cyclelane. Look over your shoulder,make a proper signal, arm horizontal, not a poncy one pointing to the ground, manouevre. Just like any other right hand turn. Assert your right to be there.

You don't have to use the cycle lanes you know. Just get on with it.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #5 on: 26 September, 2009, 08:44:04 pm »
Not in Cambridge!  Bridge Street has a "No Entry" sign, with an "except cycles".  But the main bit of the road has markings saying that only buses & taxis are allowed, and cycles are forced to use a segregated lane, separated from the main bit of road by a raised kerbstone.

Mind you, given the number of cyclists using the Market Place, Sidney Street, Trinity Street one-way triangle the WRONG WAY, trying to get Cantabridgian cyclists to obey traffic laws is like herding invisible cats.  In fog.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #6 on: 27 September, 2009, 08:27:33 pm »
Just ride on the carriageway and not in the cyclelane. Look over your shoulder,make a proper signal, arm horizontal, not a poncy one pointing to the ground, manouevre. Just like any other right hand turn. Assert your right to be there.

You know that, I know that, but all the new POBs will follow the painted lanes without a second thought.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #7 on: 27 September, 2009, 09:16:06 pm »
Not in Cambridge!  Bridge Street has a "No Entry" sign, with an "except cycles".  But the main bit of the road has markings saying that only buses & taxis are allowed, and cycles are forced to use a segregated lane, separated from the main bit of road by a raised kerbstone.

Mind you, given the number of cyclists using the Market Place, Sidney Street, Trinity Street one-way triangle the WRONG WAY, trying to get Cantabridgian cyclists to obey traffic laws is like herding invisible cats.  In fog.
Are you sure of that?  In a lot of places, bikes are allowed in bus lanes without a sign being painted on the road to say so, they just are.  A sign that says "no entry except cyclists" sounds like the route is unrestricted to me.  How are you forced to use the segregated lane?

simonp

« Reply #8 on: 27 September, 2009, 09:19:26 pm »

Are you sure of that?  In a lot of places, bikes are allowed in bus lanes without a sign being painted on the road to say so, they just are.  A sign that says "no entry except cyclists" sounds like the route is unrestricted to me.  How are you forced to use the segregated lane?

I think he's correct that cycling is prohibited in those sorts of places because it's where there are rising bollards which the powers that be think might tip you off your bike, which could be considered unsafe.

« Reply #9 on: 27 September, 2009, 09:26:45 pm »
Not in Cambridge! 
that's OK though, Cambridge is the other side of the Humber Bridge

« Reply #10 on: 27 September, 2009, 09:28:44 pm »

You know that, I know that, but all the new POBs will follow the painted lanes without a second thought.
You should warn the POB about hte tramp with a bike who lives in the trees near the path, or the recumbent rider who lurks there at night