Author Topic: Trek District - belt drive !!  (Read 11666 times)

gordon taylor

Re: Trek District - belt drive !!
« Reply #50 on: 30 October, 2009, 12:27:53 pm »

(Would probably have bought the soho if it had disk brakes)

Me too.

Craig

« Reply #51 on: 30 October, 2009, 12:52:40 pm »
According to the mechanic in my most local lbs (they had a fixed belt-driven trek in the window for a while - probably about 5 months or so back - with a hand-written sign on it describing it as 'the thinking man's fixie') the servicing goes along the lines of... "Yup, that's all working.  See you in a year or two!".  He really, really seemed to like them - even suggested I consider a Soho with a Nexus 8 hub gear. 
Is it actually fixed? I had a look at one in LBS a while back, and it seemed to have a freehub. Not just a screw-on freewheel, so you can't replace it with a fixed sprocket (does anyone make a fixed sprocket for belt drives anyway?).

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #52 on: 30 October, 2009, 01:21:22 pm »

Is it actually fixed? I had a look at one in LBS a while back, and it seemed to have a freehub. Not just a screw-on freewheel, so you can't replace it with a fixed sprocket (does anyone make a fixed sprocket for belt drives anyway?).

It was a district, not a soho, that they had on display and as far as I know yes it was fixed -  the LBS chap said they can build them using the belt drive as fixed, ss freewheel or geared with the nexus hub.  But I'd be the wrong person to ask for technical details cos I is rubbish at that!

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #53 on: 30 October, 2009, 01:38:51 pm »
However, they replaced the alfine hub with the nexus, and dumped the disk brakes in favour of roller brakes. Either of which alone would have been enough to spoil the bike for me.

Speaking as someone who rides a bike with Nexus gears and roller brakes I wonder why they would spoil it for you. I like both.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #54 on: 31 October, 2009, 02:31:12 pm »
Rollers aren't safe for sustained heavy breaking.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #55 on: 31 October, 2009, 02:50:31 pm »
They do get very hot, but I'm not sure whether they actually fade or whether it just ruins the grease.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #56 on: 31 October, 2009, 03:40:05 pm »
Rollers aren't safe for sustained heavy breaking.

That's ok then - I don't live in the alps. Not a problem on Hollingbourne Hill.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #57 on: 31 October, 2009, 07:56:20 pm »
Pretty sure there's one up on ebay if anyone wants to try one for below list!
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #58 on: 31 October, 2009, 08:58:42 pm »
Rollers are much neater than disks, which presumably is the driving choice behind the design.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #59 on: 31 October, 2009, 09:29:20 pm »
They do get very hot, but I'm not sure whether they actually fade or whether it just ruins the grease.
Under very heavy breaking they will fade - I had one on a bike that I used for towing a heavily-loaded trailer.

Under *really* heavy breaking, the grease can catch on fire.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #60 on: 02 November, 2009, 08:13:01 am »
I quite fancy the idea of a bike with belt drive and hub gear. Minimal maintenance, and pretty resistant to curious passers-by who look with their fingers (this applies to the majority of Indian men). Roller brakes I would probably leave, though.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.