Author Topic: Space Invaders  (Read 3074 times)

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
Re: Space Invaders
« Reply #25 on: 26 June, 2012, 03:32:24 pm »
His/her main point, I agree with - in ye olde days us cyclists were an unnoticed minority. We could live life between the cracks, untroubled by politicians calling for licensing or journos demanding insurance.

red marley

« Reply #26 on: 26 June, 2012, 03:53:08 pm »
Lionel would rather we didn't breed, so wankers would be fine by her.

I found 'We Need to Talk About Kevin' the most effective contraceptive advice I've ever received.

The thing that shocked me most about her 'Hell on Wheels' piece was the poor quality of her writing. Like Ian and Ham I recognise much of the poor behaviour she brings up, but it was so deeply buried in nonsense and hyperbole that it was quite an effort to spot.

It is a pity that we ('The Cycling Community', or to use her scare quotes, 'The Cycling "community"') often get so defensive when criticism is directed our way.

« Reply #27 on: 26 June, 2012, 04:08:43 pm »
Lionel would rather we didn't breed, so wankers would be fine by her.

I found 'We Need to Talk About Kevin' the most effective contraceptive advice I've ever received.

The thing that shocked me most about her 'Hell on Wheels' piece was the poor quality of her writing. Like Ian and Ham I recognise much of the poor behaviour she brings up, but it was so deeply buried in nonsense and hyperbole that it was quite an effort to spot.

It is a pity that we ('The Cycling Community', or to use her scare quotes, 'The Cycling "community"') often get so defensive when criticism is directed our way.

That's what US writing is like though, It helps to know what her voice is like, she's doing the rounds promoting a book.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18361703

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #28 on: 26 June, 2012, 04:12:22 pm »
His/her main point, I agree with - in ye olde days us cyclists were an unnoticed minority. We could live life between the cracks, untroubled by politicians calling for licensing or journos demanding insurance.
Agreed, that was the main point. A slightly tongue-in-cheek (if I'm being charitable!) analysis of how the muppets have invaded her little cult, underground, hip bubble. I'm sure many similar pieces have been written over the years about many hobbies e.g. snowboarding.

However, the calls for licensing are nothing new. The first page of Google hits lists a 2006 initiative by Ken Livingstrong. Some motons have always hated cyclists - I would say that we have got more of their attention now, but in return, more of them have now joined our side.  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

ian

« Reply #29 on: 26 June, 2012, 04:23:44 pm »
You know, I've spent a considerable portion of today thinking that it was written by Lionel Blair and wondering if it was that Lionel.

Comprehension skillz, I got 'em.

« Reply #30 on: 26 June, 2012, 04:41:04 pm »
You know, I've spent a considerable portion of today thinking that it was written by Lionel Blair and wondering if it was that Lionel.

Comprehension skillz, I got 'em.

If you're not a regular Guardian reader you're less likely to have heard of her, although she hasn't been in for a while.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #31 on: 26 June, 2012, 05:00:30 pm »
I hadn't clocked who the author was.  I just thought it was a badly written, nasty piece.  Now I realise it was Shriver, I am unsurprised.
Getting there...

ian

« Reply #32 on: 26 June, 2012, 05:17:23 pm »
I still thought it was amusing and well-written, despite not being written by Lionel Blair.

All that po-faced sanctimony must eventually get constricting. I blame the lycra shorts.

(Personally, I'm glad that there are more cyclists, but I can read things I don't entirely agree with without imploding.)

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #33 on: 27 June, 2012, 02:42:34 pm »
I get people trying to race me in Norwich I think because i cycle in a polo shirt and chinos. Roadies bust a gut to get ahead then ease off. It doesn't bother me but it's strange behaviour.
I think it certainly is strange to race in a polo and chinos.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird