Author Topic: any good training rides around leeds?  (Read 3421 times)

Lork

any good training rides around leeds?
« on: 30 January, 2010, 06:31:35 pm »
is there anything around leeds that I can ride on (similar to richmond park where I was before, but I haven't done anything for 6 months)? preferably 2 hours long from start to finish. if there's anything there then help me out!

Chris S

Re: any good training rides around leeds?
« Reply #1 on: 30 January, 2010, 07:30:12 pm »
MSeries will be your chap for this :)

« Reply #2 on: 30 January, 2010, 07:39:19 pm »
You rang ?

Hello Lork. I'm in Leeds, Where abouts in Leeds is your start point for your riding ? getting away from the City Centre after work can easily take half an hour and eat into your time. There is the Leeds Chain Gang in the Spring, goes out towards Addingham up Otley Road. I've never done it, apparently they take no prisoners.

I don't know of any Richmond Park type place with big roads. Roundhay Park has cycle/foot paths but I don't think that's what you want.

I can help you find routes of any sort outside of the city, just let me know

Lork

« Reply #3 on: 31 January, 2010, 12:23:26 am »
You rang ?

Hello Lork. I'm in Leeds, Where abouts in Leeds is your start point for your riding ? getting away from the City Centre after work can easily take half an hour and eat into your time. There is the Leeds Chain Gang in the Spring, goes out towards Addingham up Otley Road. I've never done it, apparently they take no prisoners.

I don't know of any Richmond Park type place with big roads. Roundhay Park has cycle/foot paths but I don't think that's what you want.

Ah brilliant. I'm just north of hyde park pub (2, 3 minutes walk). I've heard riding up to otley is good?

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #4 on: 31 January, 2010, 11:41:21 am »
You rang ?

Ah brilliant. I'm just north of hyde park pub (2, 3 minutes walk). I've heard riding up to otley is good?

Apart from  that bloody roundabout at Lawnswood  :sick:

Lork

« Reply #5 on: 31 January, 2010, 12:25:22 pm »
You rang ?

Apart from  that bloody roundabout at Lawnswood  :sick:

what route do you take? otley old road?

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #6 on: 31 January, 2010, 02:54:50 pm »
Most cyclists from Leeds heading for Otley seem to use the A660, Otley Road. If you are feeling strong you could always use the East Chevin Road to get back home! The riding starts to get good after Otley in my opinion. Head out to Bolton Abbey for a start using the back road from Otley thru Weston, Askwith, past Ilkley golf club, Nesfield and Beamsley.
There is so much good cycling to be had in the area.  

« Reply #7 on: 31 January, 2010, 05:41:09 pm »
I generally go up the A660 to Otley, I really don't like the A61 but it makes a nice loop up via Harewood and up Wharfedale via Pool to Otley. Stop in Dunnies by the river. I was in there today, came back on the A660, actually went up the A61 too as far as Ripon. There are lanes which I take sometimes, not done so for a few years though, but quieter and nice on a summers evening.  Turn off after Adel, go past  Headingley Golf Club and head for Arthington, then to Otley on the A659 via Pool.

I intend to do some evening rides after work out that way once the clocks change.

I am 5 miles south of the city centre so upper Wharfedale makes for a longer ride, not that long distances really faze me though !

Lork

« Reply #8 on: 31 January, 2010, 09:31:33 pm »
ah very nice, thanks! How difficult would you say the ride gets? like I said I haven't done anything serious for 6 months (and even then I wasn't all that!), just cycling around town shopping etc.

« Reply #9 on: 31 January, 2010, 09:35:43 pm »
ah very nice, thanks! How difficult would you say the ride gets? like I said I haven't done anything serious for 6 months (and even then I wasn't all that!), just cycling around town shopping etc.
The Leeds chain gang ? Don't know, never done it. I've seen a YouTube video with some bloke winding it up to 40mph though. But I've also overtaken fat riders who've been shelled out climbing up the A660 from Otley. Only one way to find out.... Maybe this year I'll have the nerve to give it a try, been saying that for 3 years !

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #10 on: 31 January, 2010, 09:36:26 pm »
There is so much good cycling to be had in the area.

+1

I used to like riding up to Ilkley, up the Cow and Calf then back via Guiseley IIRC. That was over 15 years ago, though. Don't know what the roads are like now and can't remember exact route details. But the Lawnswood roundabout was awful even back then.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #11 on: 31 January, 2010, 09:48:23 pm »
There are other ways back into Leeds if you want to avoid the A660 and that roundabout. I don't rate it as a bad one actually. If you need to be further east towards the A61, King Lane is a good alternative. I need to go through the City and south so I prefer not have to go down the A61 and the Sheepscar Interchange. I have done it's not that bad but fast traffic and changing lanes is something I prefer to avoid, then that awful climb back up Claypit Lane.