Author Topic: 1066 (+100?) (7th Feb) & Worthing Winter Warmer (14th Feb)  (Read 1350 times)

Martin

1066 (+100?) (7th Feb) & Worthing Winter Warmer (14th Feb)
« on: 15 December, 2008, 07:27:39 pm »
I've had the OK from El S to do exactly the same with this as I did the MP & S (ie ride to start do the event and ride back); this will also give me possible Brownie points to ride the Worthing Winter Warmer the week after;

anyone else?

can't guarantee the weather will be any better though

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
Re: 1066 (+100?) (7th Feb) & Worthing Winter Warmer (14th Feb)
« Reply #1 on: 28 January, 2009, 04:47:14 pm »
I might be in for the Worthing Ride. Anyone know if the organiser accepts EOL?

Martin

« Reply #2 on: 28 January, 2009, 05:46:12 pm »
I might be in for the Worthing Ride. Anyone know if the organiser accepts EOL?

He doesn't; not doing that ride now as working, still on for the 1066 though. The WWW is a great ride; no points, no AAA, just a good event for the sake of it.

Bez

• Carpe Cerevisi.
« Reply #3 on: 14 February, 2009, 08:59:00 pm »
I rode the WWW today. Anyone else?

It was a great ride through some lovely scenery and sunny, even warm, for virtually the whole time.

I didn't get off to a good start with some rear derailleur problems that left me stuck in a low gear. Didn't matter as it happened because like everyone else it was soon off the bike to walk through approx 50 yards of verge to verge sheet ice. The icy conditions went on for bits of the first 8k after that it was fine. The initial walk and  some fiddling (calling it fettling would imply some sort of skill) seemed to fix my gears - how I don't know.

A bit of a climb up to the first control (Roundhurst Common/ Black Down I think) where food was provided by El Supremo.

Soon after leaving the control a car pulled alongside . The window came down and I thought "here we go". But the very nice man just warned me about the potholes a bit further down the road - really useful advice so a good motorist and bike experience.

It would take too long to describe all the nice bits about the route but if you live nearish it is on Bikely and I can really recommend trying it.

As Martin said no Audax points of any description just a good event. Very well run and supported with a lot of Worthing Excelsior riders (the club that organised it).

Martin

« Reply #4 on: 14 February, 2009, 10:09:46 pm »
Glad you enjoyed it  :) El Supremo's usually atop Blackdown. You go the other way over that climb and then back up a steeper approach on the Sussex Corker which I hope to be promoting in June.

Hard to believe that this was the 5th sunny Saturday in a row for local rides  8)

Martin

« Reply #5 on: 13 March, 2010, 07:14:37 pm »
rode the WWW from Billingshurst off the GPS; one I had intended to do on the day had I not done a John Hurt impersonation, nice flat ride...

when did I last ride it? when I was super fit after PBP

it's not flat; and my knees need some post-doing sod all hilly for 2 months TLC; also like so many events there are no places to get food and drink unless it's the day of the calendar ride (I did think of the Camra award winning pub in Selham but suffered enough as it was). Lovely day though, and West Sussex seems to have moved all its potholes to within 5 miles of my house so very little caution required.

my GPS made it a little over 1000m climbing but most of that was around Blackdown; it did do a spazz a couple of times and decided I was at 9m instead of 70, and 40 instead of 140