Author Topic: Hardboiled 300k perm - Friday 7th May 2010  (Read 1639 times)

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
Hardboiled 300k perm - Friday 7th May 2010
« on: 19 April, 2010, 05:40:20 pm »
Are you envious reading about all of those hard wheel men that ground their way up the Devils Staircase last weekend?

Have you missed out on your Wu'ze entry due to family pressures and are cursing your bad luck at being attractive enough to the opposite sex to sire a family?   :-\

Perhaps you are riding the MC1000 but are fretting that you will be too corpulent to fit in your summer shorts without them turning from 1000 to 10 Denier half-way up Bwelch-Y-Groans?  :facepalm:

Or maybe you just like that satisfying hurty feeling in your legs as you walk down a flight of stairs the next day?  :P

If so, perhaps you may wish to join Plodder and me as we gaily swan around the leafy and quaint byways of Wessex the Friday after the first May Bank Holiday weekend?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm?

What say you, sir (or madam)?

H

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Re: Hardboiled 300k perm - Friday 7th May 2010
« Reply #1 on: 20 April, 2010, 09:52:12 am »
I will think about it, but it's doubtful as I am doing the Brevet Cymru on the 1st and the Chapman on the 15th

I need to recover and also to be available for domestic duties every other weekend.

Pity, coz I'd like to do this classic event.  Are you starting in the early hours of the morning?

« Reply #2 on: 20 April, 2010, 10:26:34 am »
Likewise I'll think about it, and have been thinking about it since you put this message up. I even have the Brevet Card in a drawer waiting to go. However I'm on the Wu've and the Chapman before and after.

Chances of either being awake enough to ride or having the brownie points to write off another weekend on the bike are fairly low.

I'd also be in danger of only needing a 600 for a Wessex SR

Hummers

« Reply #3 on: 20 April, 2010, 10:54:13 am »
Likewise I'll think about it.....

To those who are  'thinking about it' then be aware that you need to have come to a conclusion by tomorrow as you need to get your entry to Mr Shawn Shaw by Friday. Mine is in the post as we speak.

I'd also be in danger of only needing a 600 for a Wessex SR

That's the spirit laddie but for those of you trying to squeeze this in between Welsh rides, do not forget the reloaded 3D 300 calendar event at the end of June which promises to be just as tough - if not tougher (5.25 AAA)  :thumbsup:
Sadly I cannot ride it on the day but hope to do it as a DIY 300 at some point in the next two months.

In terms of the Wessex series, the Hellfire is a fine 600 and was a very enjoyable weekend for us last year.

H

« Reply #4 on: 20 April, 2010, 11:06:32 am »
Will think about it for a while.

Have now thought about it for long enough.

The answer is NO

Hummers

« Reply #5 on: 20 April, 2010, 11:16:54 am »
Pity, coz I'd like to do this classic event.  Are you starting in the early hours of the morning?

The traditional start time is 2am and this worked well last year although there is nothing open when you get to Shrewton - although there were shops open by East Pennard.  I think it took me and  Ian H a leisurely 11 hours to do the first 205k and 6 hours to do the last 100.  :-X

H

border-rider

« Reply #6 on: 20 April, 2010, 11:18:36 am »
Might well be.

I just need to decide if ICBA trucking all the way down there...

Great ride though.

Hummers

« Reply #7 on: 20 April, 2010, 12:26:33 pm »
Might well be.

I just need to decide if ICBA trucking all the way down there...

Great ride though.

:thumbsup:

I am hoping that this year, we won't end up up to our ankles in mud in a field wondering if this actually was the correct route....

H

Hummers

« Reply #8 on: 08 May, 2010, 10:43:12 pm »
A grand day out was had by all.

Mr Plodder's first AAA event and first Wessex experience.

Ride report here.

H

Plodder

• More of a lurker than a poster!
« Reply #9 on: 08 May, 2010, 11:29:16 pm »
A grand day out was had by all.

Mr Plodder's first AAA event and first Wessex experience.

Ride report here.

H

Yes, a cracking day out. :thumbsup:

Thanks to Hummers for guiding me round for my first AAA points. Hopefully not my last! This ride has a very benign first half but concludes with some seemingly never-ending climbs and stunning vistas. Surprisingly my legs feel fine today but I have my perennial post-ride perineum pain.   :'(
The Portsmouth Wednesday Night Pub Ride Group - "a drinking club with a cycling problem".