Author Topic: My MOJOs gone  (Read 3625 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: My MOJOs gone
« Reply #25 on: 01 June, 2010, 05:18:49 pm »
Organise a forum ride in your 'hood :)

were you pageing the organiser of the Thunderbox ride there Deano?.....because coincidently the post before yours.... :demon:

Yes, maybe a Thunderbox ride is called for.
Late August, early September?
It is simpler than it looks.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #26 on: 01 June, 2010, 05:20:37 pm »
wax/shave your legs. always works for me.  Reminds me that I am not a regular person but a serious cyclist and so had better get on with it.
At least it used to - must admit that these days the shaving bit is easy but the cycling part less so.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #27 on: 01 June, 2010, 05:34:27 pm »
This sounds familiar...

Lost my cycling mojo

Fortunately, I'm now over it - to the extent that I'm looking forward to riding home later even though it's pissing down outside.

So, don't worry, it'll pass. Sooner or later.

For me, it was discovering the joy of fixed that reignited the fire. Obviously wouldn't be quite the same for you, but maybe finding something that is new to you would help - ever tried unicycling? :)

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #28 on: 01 June, 2010, 05:43:54 pm »
Organise a forum ride in your 'hood :)

were you pageing the organiser of the Thunderbox ride there Deano?.....because coincidently the post before yours.... :demon:

Yes, maybe a Thunderbox ride is called for.
Late August, early September?

to quote my mojo-less forum friend

build it & they will come.
Needs a new thread in Rides & Touring I reckon

« Reply #29 on: 02 June, 2010, 08:21:35 am »
wax/shave your legs.

mmm, that's a though, not done it so far this year, what with one thing and another.

AikenDrum

• Lurker at the gate
    • Audax Kernow
« Reply #30 on: 02 June, 2010, 11:43:45 am »
This whole loss of MOJO/loss of interest in cycling thing interests me. Years ago, I thought about writing an article for Arrivee, after noticing that quite a few of the people who I got to know on rides leading up to and including PBP 1999 dropped out of Audaxing/off the radar altogether soon afterwards.

I wondered whether, for some the completion of their "dream" event (PBP) was the goal, and having achieved it they felt they could put the bike away for good and concentrate on something less physically taxing instead. Others maybe got seduced by higher profile pursuits like Triathlon, and the need to get that M-dot tattoo that so many of it's adherents seem to sport!  ;D

Or are people just too easily bored and always in search of (in the words of the Cramps) "Some new kind of kick"? A snippet from one of the reports on the BCM600 thread would seem to suggest that, for some, this is the case:

"He was only riding the BCM with the intention of getting early entry for PBP and after then, with that target achieved, he was going to give up long-distance cycling."

I find it hard to understand this sort of box-ticking mentality, but each to his/her own.

Hope you get your MOJO back soon.
London's burning with boredom now

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #31 on: 02 June, 2010, 12:00:07 pm »
I wondered whether, for some the completion of their "dream" event (PBP) was the goal, and having achieved it they felt they could put the bike away for good and concentrate on something less physically taxing instead. Others maybe got seduced by higher profile pursuits like Triathlon, and the need to get that M-dot tattoo that so many of it's adherents seem to sport!  ;D

Or are people just too easily bored and always in search of (in the words of the Cramps) "Some new kind of kick"?
Given the number of people I know who have done 1 marathon, or 1 IronMan, I suspect your Cramps quote is about right.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

AikenDrum

• Lurker at the gate
    • Audax Kernow
« Reply #32 on: 02 June, 2010, 12:19:16 pm »
I think so. I guess this is why the core membership of AUK hasn't increased by that much as the years have gone by.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #33 on: 02 June, 2010, 12:19:55 pm »

I find it hard to understand this sort of box-ticking mentality, but each to his/her own.

Life is too short to wear 'grooves in the road' doing the same thing year-in, year-out.  There is a huge range of fun activities in the cycling world (let alone other athletic pursuits) and concentrating purely on AUK brevets takes a lot of time.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #34 on: 02 June, 2010, 01:35:33 pm »

I wondered whether, for some the completion of their "dream" event (PBP) was the goal, and having achieved it

I certainly had no interest in riding immediatley after completing E2E last year.This lasted for a couple of months during which time I even contemplated selling my bikes :o.
The interest did return slowly & has increased lately but still remains a shadow of it's former enthusiasm.
I joined AUK to provide an incentive which is working to a degree.

AikenDrum

• Lurker at the gate
    • Audax Kernow
« Reply #35 on: 02 June, 2010, 01:51:51 pm »
I hear what you're saying. I run as well and like swimming in the sea, but Cycling is still what I enjoy the most. If I was only doing it in the pursuit of a specific goal, then i'd probably have given up a long time ago.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #36 on: 02 June, 2010, 02:04:39 pm »
Stopping riding long brevets does not equal giving up riding.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

AikenDrum

• Lurker at the gate
    • Audax Kernow
« Reply #37 on: 02 June, 2010, 02:52:41 pm »
I hadn't considered that possibility TBH, but I don't find long brevets either boring or taxing enough that i'd be satisfied with the odd 200 or populaire instead.

I might feel differently in 10 or 20 years time, but with role models like George Berwick or Nev Chanin to inspire me, I hope not.

« Reply #38 on: 03 June, 2010, 10:00:00 am »
This whole loss of MOJO/loss of interest in cycling thing interests me. Years ago, I thought about writing an article for Arrivee, after noticing that quite a few of the people who I got to know on rides leading up to and including PBP 1999 dropped out of Audaxing/off the radar altogether soon afterwards.

Or are people just too easily bored and always in search of (in the words of the Cramps) "Some new kind of kick"? A snippet from one of the reports on the BCM600 thread would seem to suggest that, for some, this is the case:

"He was only riding the BCM with the intention of getting early entry for PBP and after then, with that target achieved, he was going to give up long-distance cycling."

Hope you get your MOJO back soon.
That's not the case for me. It's getting up early and riding for 10 hours on my own that I can't be arsed with at present. With an arrangement to meet someone I have some commitment and I'll do it. Enforced lay off has changed my routine and I kinda like lazy mornings at present.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #39 on: 03 June, 2010, 10:30:57 am »
It's getting up early and riding for 10 hours on my own that I can't be arsed with at present.
I have NEVER been arsed to do that. And I hadn't (until now) considered myself a lazy/improper cyclist/randonneur!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #40 on: 03 June, 2010, 11:46:27 am »
I ain't going to sack hopes of an SR Series this year as I want it to set me up for PBP qualification, I have already withdrawn from Mille Cymru and forgone my chances of ACP Brevet 5000 for now.

*It's doable but needs more time and arrangement and right now resources don't really permit.

I gave up on an SR Series and Mille Cymru. Both are mainly a resource problem though. There is only so much time and money that can be spent, and this year it's wiser for me to spend that somewhere else.
But I will get my arse to Italy for Mille Miglia because I need a holiday after all. Worst case scenario I will lay down at some beach somewhere on day 2 or 3, and I'm fine with that.

If resources allow, I'd visit the continent for a big ride somewhere and treat it like a holiday. Lowlands, HBKH, Mille Miglia all still accept entries, and that's just what's been talked about here, there is a lot more.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...