Author Topic: DIY London to Brighton advice  (Read 3470 times)

aglet

DIY London to Brighton advice
« on: 13 May, 2008, 09:30:15 pm »
I'm "organising" a company expedition from our offices in central London to Brighton the Saturday after next.  I'd appreciate any advice on routes etc. -- my initial thoughts are here.

There'll be a range of speeds along, so a pub stop or two en route to allow us to regroup seems like a good idea -- can anyone recommend pubs at about 1/3 and 2/3 of the way?  Must have brown beer & be prepared to entertain sweaty cyclists (in a garden?)

Also any hints on trains back?

Martin

Re: DIY London to Brighton advice
« Reply #1 on: 13 May, 2008, 09:34:51 pm »
I'm "organising" a company expedition from our offices in central London to Brighton the Saturday after next.  I'd appreciate any advice on routes etc. -- my initial thoughts are here.Also any hints on trains back?

as the author of that link I can recommend it  :thumbsup:
Trains no problem just turn up at the station and smile sweetly it's what we all do on the FNRTTC.

Pubs; the 1/2 way stop of note is the Red Lion Turner's Hill (Harveys; you have to go R up Lion Lane on the drag) but for 1/3 and 2/3 the Dog and Duck in Outwood (on route) and the Plough in Plumpton or Cock in Wivelsfield Green (slightly off route)

NB Stone Cross Lane was closed last week but you can squeeze thru on bikes no prob.

Enjoy  :)

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #2 on: 13 May, 2008, 09:56:17 pm »
...and there's a great descent after the Dog and Duck!

Martin

« Reply #3 on: 13 May, 2008, 10:08:05 pm »
...and there's a great descent after the Dog and Duck!

but not as nice as the one before just after the A25 :)

Pete

« Reply #4 on: 13 May, 2008, 11:52:37 pm »
or Cock in Wivelsfield Green (slightly off route)
Note that the Cock has now been re-named the Pear Tree.  I cannot for the life of me figure out why.... ::-) ::-) ;D

Pete

« Reply #5 on: 14 May, 2008, 12:03:23 am »
but not as nice as the one before just after the A25 :)
You must surely be referring to Outwood Lane leading south out of Bletchingley!  A fine descent but a right b*gg*r of a pig to do in the opposite direction!  Last year I tried it - the toughest ride for me of the year - I wept, I cursed, my legs felt like they were receiving the attention of an acupuncturist wearing boxing gloves - but I managed it!  Not so Hilltop Lane a bit further north, that one has every time beaten me!  :-[

I doubt I could do any of these hills now.  :-\

« Reply #6 on: 15 May, 2008, 08:24:16 am »
Aglet,
  regarding the route there are plenty of people on here who can give good advice. I'd guess you are taking the road route.

There is a National Cycle Network style route, which starts in Deptford and goes along the Waterlink Way, and from there down to Gatwick. I've never done the full route myself, so can't comment. I have done the Waterlink Way down to Croydon, and it is a bit slow, though quite pleasant. Depends on what sort of ride you want to organise I suppose.

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/default.asp?sID=1098089986390

aglet

« Reply #7 on: 23 May, 2008, 12:25:31 pm »
Tomorrow's the day!  See linky for the route I've settled on.  Thanks for the advice everyone, much appreciated.

Pete

« Reply #8 on: 23 May, 2008, 02:11:24 pm »
Looks good to me.  Except you might want to consider the continuation of Ditchling Road right into centre of Brighton (l then immediately r when crossing Coldean Lane, rather than the left turn down Coldean Lane and along Lewes Road).  That's what I would choose (and it's also the way the FNRTTC goes), but it's up to you.

« Reply #9 on: 23 May, 2008, 03:11:20 pm »
That's the way I went last summer, & it's a *fabulous* downhill IIRC.  Ware traffic lights, though - doop managed to lock his back wheel up skidding to a stop for one...

Martin

« Reply #10 on: 23 May, 2008, 05:37:08 pm »
Looks good to me.  Except you might want to consider the continuation of Ditchling Road right into centre of Brighton (l then immediately r when crossing Coldean Lane, rather than the left turn down Coldean Lane and along Lewes Road).  That's what I would choose (and it's also the way the FNRTTC goes), but it's up to you.

+1 for Ditchling Road rather than Lewes Road; the L2B did it that way the first time I rode it, and good choice of Streat rather than Ditchling itself; the Beacon just sort of jumps out and surprises you rather than looming on the horizon for miles.  Stonecross road is clear of roadworks too  :thumbsup:; no other surprises IIRC from riding most of the route last week. Bit late now but you Google Maps route should go all the way down to the T at the B2116 after Streat; I think the way you've done is roughstuff.

have fun!

Pete, Hilltop Lane is on my occasional way into work; Morceau de Gateaux  ;)

aglet

« Reply #11 on: 27 May, 2008, 02:56:03 pm »
Well, we did it, and a fine time was had.  It took ages though, because we were waiting for slower people, standing around at junctions wondering which way to go, and sitting drinking beer in pubs.  More over at Kizoom including a tracklog showing the various departures from the planned route (we did something like 70 miles in the end).

Top tips for next time:
 * take the train and start out of London, that bit was horrible and boring
 * distances between directions are vital, it's really easy to whizz past turnings
 * hold firm and don't stop at the very first pub you see

I didn't make it all the way up the Beacon on my bike, I ground to a halt about a third of the way up.  My bottom gear is 34 * 27, which I had thought would be enough, but sadly not.  More practice required...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #12 on: 27 May, 2008, 09:39:19 pm »
Well, we did it, and a fine time was had. 

<snip>

Excellent stuff.

More practice required...
[/quote]

Friday Night Ride to the Coast 20th June - Brighton

YKIMS
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Naggers

• Lost in a daze
« Reply #13 on: 29 May, 2008, 10:25:34 am »
Well done, Aglet.  No mean feat organising and leading a group ride like that.

Love the photo's - that's what an office should look like  8)