Author Topic: Circular Rides from Oyne, Aberdeenshire?  (Read 1452 times)

Sigurd Mudtracker

Circular Rides from Oyne, Aberdeenshire?
« on: 03 October, 2010, 08:56:03 pm »
I will potentially be at a loose end in Oyne later in the month with trike/bike.

Any recommendations for a 30-40 mile circular route?  Absence of A roads desirable, hills not a proble,.

The Mechanic

Re: Circular Rides from Oyne, Aberdeenshire?
« Reply #1 on: 04 October, 2010, 04:02:43 pm »
From Oyne you have a wealth of options.  Best thing is to head west.  Auchleven, Leslie, Clatt, the Suie hill, then you can circle round from Tullinessie back to Oyne via Auchleven and, if you're feeling energentic, go on to Rhynnie and over the Cabrach to Dufftown (this time of year, wrap up well).  All the roads around thereare small and perfectly formed.  A good route can be done as a circular route round Benachie, pronounced Ben-a-hee.  Have a look at google maps and you can't go wrong.

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #2 on: 04 October, 2010, 09:37:52 pm »
Thanks for the pointers, although I think over the Cabrach and on to Dufftown and back will be appreciably more than 40 miles!  I have an old OS map somewhere...

noisycrank

• twitter @noisycrank
« Reply #3 on: 04 October, 2010, 09:57:15 pm »
Wot the Mechanic said. I know he loves the Suie.

If you want to sample the delights of the Cabrach I reccomend the short loop up the B9002 through Craig Castle up to the watershed on the Moray border and then back (mostly) down the hill beside the Tap O'Noth back into Rhynie. World famous for its chert.

Alternatively Oyne Auchleven / Premnay Lairds throat along the Don (lovely bit) either back towards Oyne via Chapel Garioch  or Monymusk >Kemnay >Chapel Garioch.
The Grant Arms in Monymusk used to do good food then was poor/non existant for a while but I heard recently it was back to its oldself.
If you don't like my haircut you can suck my socks!

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #4 on: 04 October, 2010, 10:27:44 pm »
You really are spoilt for choice.  I love cycling in Aberdeenshire and Donside is lovely, especially towards Strathdon; however, for a 40 mile ride, I'll be a bit controversial and suggest a ride up to Fyvie, across to Methlick and back to Oyne via Oldmedrum.  There are plenty back roads you can take and the Ythan valley is lovely.