Author Topic: CrinklyCub's blog (and sponsorship request...)  (Read 872 times)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
CrinklyCub's blog (and sponsorship request...)
« on: 04 August, 2010, 03:26:00 pm »
Yes, it’s a begging letter!  But even if you aren't interested in the slightest in making a donation, I'd really appreciate it if a few people could take a quick look at the boy's blog, set up at Expotitions by BoyCycle and which he is hoping (mobile internet signal in the Dales permitting) to update as we travel, and maybe make an encouraging comment or two :)

In two week's time CrinklyCub (my 8 year old) and I are planning a 4 day unsupported charity bike ride from our house to his Granny’s house to raise some money for DebRA, a charity that supports people with EB. Epidermolysis Bullosa is a genetic condition where the skin breaks at the slightest touch, causing painful, open blisters and wounds.  Younger sufferers are often referred to as “Butterfly Children” because of this fragility.  One of the Cub’s schoolmates, Gabriel Duran-Escamez,  suffered from this incredibly painful and debilitating condition.  

Very sadly, Gabriel died just before the Easter holidays, aged only 8.  He was an amazing kid, who had a really profound impact on the whole school.  And he was a good friend.  CrinkyCub would like to raise some money for the charity that supported his friend.  So we’ve set up a page on JustGiving and would really appreciate it if you could take a look, and consider making a donation on this site.

We leave York on the 18th of August, and should arrive at Granny’s house in Barrow in Furness in Cumbria on the 21st.  We are planning a couple of short train journeys on the way, not least because the Wensleydale light railway should be steam hauled on the day we get to Bedale and who wouldn’t want to take their bike on a steam train!  We expect to be riding for between 110 and 120 miles, clocking up 25 to 30 miles each day with a few stops for picnics, ice creams and games of Pooh Sticks at every appropriate bridge – we’re still working out the fine details of some of the route.  Of course, it might be a bit more if I get us lost....  and various people have told me that apparently there are some hills between here and Cumbria.  That’ll be interesting, because we’re not used to much bigger than the Millennium Bridge!

Thanks for reading,

CL.

LindaG

Re: CrinklyCub's blog (and sponsorship request...)
« Reply #1 on: 04 August, 2010, 06:03:44 pm »
What a tremendous effort for a little boy.  The best of luck to you both.  I hope this helps him come to terms with losing his friend. 

I bet he'll remember this trip for ever Crinkly!

« Reply #2 on: 04 August, 2010, 07:13:00 pm »
Blog RSS feed suitably bookmarked (appears just below Charlotte's on the menu)

Good luck to you both

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #3 on: 04 August, 2010, 07:21:34 pm »
Way to go, will be following for sure.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #4 on: 04 August, 2010, 09:13:48 pm »
Wonderful!  When I read that, I felt like I was 8 (nearly 9) all over again.