Author Topic: Birds on Bikes - London, March 7  (Read 1447 times)

Birds on Bikes - London, March 7
« on: 03 March, 2009, 10:31:17 pm »
Saw this on LCC website. Might pop along to support it...

Saturday 7 March 2009 sees LCC's first Birds on Bikes night ride, celebrating International Women's Day.

Hundreds of riders and volunteer marshals are expected to take part in the event, following a ten-mile central London route (details at the bottom of this page), passing locations that mark the achievements of women in the capital.

Rider should register first using the form below, and meet at 6.30pm (for 7pm start) at the Dragon Hall, 17 Stukeley Street, London WC2 5LT (Covent Garden). The event is female-focused but not exclusive to women.

There's a post-ride party with free refreshments for all registered riders back at the Dragon Hall. where there'll also be a fashion presentation by Cyclodelic, a clothing brand dedicated to making ladies look fantastic (and soon to be in TopShop).

Lush, purveyor of fine handmade cosmetics, will be dishing out free gifts for all registered riders.

Dress you and your bike to impress
Expect an explosion of colour, lights and sound as riders decorate their bikes and themselves to mark the occasion.

The ride is expected to attract a range of inspiring women from across the city to act as cycling role models and ambassadors.

Event organiser Alison Waller said, "Only half as many women as men cycle. And even though half of all women have a bike, too many of them never use it. We're encouraging our female friends to enjoy this fun, safe, practical, healthy activity."

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
Re: Birds on Bikes - London, March 7
« Reply #1 on: 04 March, 2009, 06:30:02 am »
I was just about to post something about this myself NSTN (although the name they've given the event makes me cringe somewhat, raised as I was on Kate Millet, Angela Davis and Simone de Beauvoir.)  I am intending to go along, and had emailed LCC in response to their request for ride marshalls.  I've had the email bounced back to me, so may try again.  But whether marshalling or not, it looks interesting and fun.  I'm going and it would be great to see some forum faces too, they don't have to be female- open to all.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 04 March, 2009, 08:23:10 am »
I would be there, but I've already arranged a weekend of unbridled hedonism outside the metropolis.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 04 March, 2009, 09:27:56 am »
I would be there, but I've already arranged a weekend of unbridled hedonism outside the metropolis.

There's something to be said for bridled hedonism ;) :demon:
Getting there...

Raph

« Reply #4 on: 04 March, 2009, 12:15:12 pm »
I'll thank you to keep your fetishes to yourself, clarion!   ;D

kipperonbike

« Reply #5 on: 04 March, 2009, 03:04:42 pm »
I agree with Jane re the 'Birds' thing. A bit un-PC of LCC. Though they almost make up for it with 'The event is female-focused but not exclusive to women.' Cleverly avoiding the use of the M-E-N word!
Have a good ride girls, I hope it stays dry for you.