Author Topic: Flip flops in this weather?  (Read 1002 times)

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
Flip flops in this weather?
« on: 22 December, 2010, 04:36:22 pm »
Ok, admittedly there is no snow here yet, but the temperature has been mostly sub zero for weeks.

Went for a cycle, stopped off at my local (cafe), totally dressed, 4 layers on top, ski trousers, 2 pairs socks, ski gloves. Sipping my coffee and guy strolls in wearing flip flops and trackie bottoms!

nicknack

• Hornblower
Re: Flip flops in this weather?
« Reply #1 on: 22 December, 2010, 05:03:11 pm »
Was it Nutty?
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #2 on: 22 December, 2010, 05:33:18 pm »
Was it Nutty?

Not sure, he had an Irish hat on, is nutty Irish?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 22 December, 2010, 06:22:55 pm »
I wore flip flops in the snow as a Penniless Student Oaffe.
Never harmed me.
There is photographic evidence of apparent forumite barefoot snow walking in The Gallery.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #4 on: 23 December, 2010, 08:00:14 am »
Hmm, saw a cyclist this morning, at about 0640, freewheeling down Portsdown hill on the A3, with no back light, and shorts.  not cycling shorts, but short sports shorts (black) and other dark clothing on his upper portions.  I was in my car, wishing it would warm up a bit quicker, and wondering when I will be able to drive out of my house without doing a slip and a slide on the lumpy ice in the road.  I can't even go and scrape it myself, its a gravel road, and would be a bit counterproductive...   I may be a wuss, but he's just plain crackers.
Wombat

« Reply #5 on: 23 December, 2010, 09:30:16 am »
I'm still wearing flip flops and we have 30 cm of snow here.  If you wear them all the time you don't notice the very gradual decline in temperature.

I'm wearing proper shoes for to walk any sort of distance due to the risk of slipping on ice in the flip flops.  If I had a car then I'd think nothing of continuing to wear the flip flops all the time.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #6 on: 23 December, 2010, 09:33:10 am »
Monday. Central Mancuniumnumnum. It's (minus) HOW COLD?

Motorcyclist. Fingerless mitts, cotton trousers, trainers. Dickhead.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7 on: 23 December, 2010, 09:59:55 am »
Some time circa 1987 I was riding from Waterloo to jbex at Tower Hill.  It was about -5 and I had a leather motorcycle jacket over a thick Aran jumper.  And was still fscking freezing.  And from the south, up Blackfriars Road, there came a Man on a bicycle, clad in a running vest, running shorts and trainers.  No socks.  No gloves.  No hat.

He must have been a Geordie.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #8 on: 23 December, 2010, 02:00:56 pm »
Hmm, saw a cyclist this morning, at about 0640, freewheeling down Portsdown hill on the A3, with no back light, and shorts.  not cycling shorts, but short sports shorts (black) and other dark clothing on his upper portions.  I was in my car, wishing it would warm up a bit quicker, and wondering when I will be able to drive out of my house without doing a slip and a slide on the lumpy ice in the road.  I can't even go and scrape it myself, its a gravel road, and would be a bit counterproductive...   I may be a wuss, but he's just plain crackers.
He's got a long way - I saw him in Wandsworth yesterday morning! ;D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #9 on: 23 December, 2010, 02:03:31 pm »
Most likely a South African in Wandsworth...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10 on: 23 December, 2010, 03:29:06 pm »
One of my nephews, age 9, is still in shorts and short-sleeved shirts. My sister has had comments from school to the effect of being a neglectful parent, but she can point to her other son who dresses in jumpers etc. She thinks it's mad too.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.