Author Topic: Yorkies! Did the earth just move?  (Read 1228 times)

Yorkies! Did the earth just move?
« on: 03 January, 2011, 09:10:40 pm »
I was just sitting here, and the building sort of shuddered.  Twice, but only about a second or two in total. Anyone else feel anything?  Sometimes if another flat's door slams, I can feel it, but this was a much deeper sort of vibration.... Small earthquake?

Either that, or the roof's about to fall in.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Yorkies! Did the earth just move?
« Reply #1 on: 03 January, 2011, 09:14:46 pm »

« Reply #2 on: 03 January, 2011, 09:18:22 pm »
Wow! cool! I felt an earthquake!

I felt that 'big' one a few years back, woke up to find the bed swaying, wasn't sure if it was real or me having some sort of fit.

Cool!

« Reply #3 on: 03 January, 2011, 09:32:00 pm »
Certainly didn't hear or feel anything untoward when I was in either York or Leeds today.

It was only a few minutes ago.  Wow, how cool.  Felt really odd.

The last one woke me, I gather there was an initial jolt, which must have been what woke me, then the building swayed for what felt like some seconds.

In Leicester, where my Mum and sister were, they reported it being more like a really heavy loud lorry going by.  Different effects of different soil and rock types apparently.

My sister apparently got up in a panic, and was greeted by my Mum with the immortal words "Don't worry, it's a earthquake".  She once called off a balcony to a panicing landlady below "Don't worry Mrs O'Connell, the house is on fire!" (the landlady, awoken by 'something' saw her own dressing gown hanging on the door, and in the half light, and not quite awake, thought it was a burglar and had jumped out of her ground floor window screaming about an intruder.)

« Reply #4 on: 03 January, 2011, 09:59:42 pm »

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #5 on: 03 January, 2011, 10:25:49 pm »
I didn't feel a thing either. 

The last one (epicentre near Grimsby) was at about 1am and made a big bang, which I definitely felt.  At the time I wondered if my housemate had fallen down the stairs, but decided that she wasn't big enough to have made the bang. 

« Reply #6 on: 04 January, 2011, 01:01:53 pm »
I felt it - assumed that the kids had slammed a door (old house, heavy doors - house shakes when you slam a door).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #7 on: 04 January, 2011, 01:45:10 pm »
Wow! cool! I felt an earthquake!

I felt that 'big' one a few years back, woke up to find the bed swaying, wasn't sure if it was real or me having some sort of fit.

Cool!
Having been to Japan several times, I've got used to 'em. The first one I remember woke me in a hotel. Mrs B muttered something & turned over, but didn't wake up properly, or remember it in the morning. The staff confirmed next morning that there'd been a quake overnight, but it was obviously too small to take any notice of. A 4.5 back at chez Mrs B's mother got mentioned on an inside page of the local paper. Mrs B half woke while the house shook, said '地震' ('jishin'), switched on the light then immediately went back to sleep & again didn't remember it. I've felt a few other minor ones which were ignored by the locals.

They have a different attitude there.  ;D

I think the biggest I've been in was 5.5. The house shook, Mrs B's mum shouted 'Jishin!' & switched off the gas on the cooker, & we huddled under the RSJ in the middle of the house until it stopped, while the TV went blank for a moment, then came back on with live reports from the Tokyo emergency control centre. Minor damage to buildings in Chiba (epicentre, other side of Tokyo), no serious injuries. Normal service resumed within an hour. That one made the 10 o'clock news. Forgotten about by next day, though.

I'm proud to be able to report that I didn't spill my beer. I was walking across the room with a glass in my hand when it hit.

"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897