Author Topic: Recommendations for not too expensive touring sleeping bag.  (Read 2500 times)

Recommendations for not too expensive touring sleeping bag.
« on: 18 January, 2011, 09:12:52 pm »
Tesco down filled at £37 or Snug pack?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Chris N

Re: Recommendations for not too expensive touring sleeping bag.
« Reply #1 on: 18 January, 2011, 09:51:20 pm »
Depends on the price of the Snugpak. If you want a good value down bag, try Alpkit: 3 and 4 season down sleeping bags - Alpkit :thumbsup:

Martin

« Reply #2 on: 18 January, 2011, 09:54:01 pm »
Snugpack Travelpak Extreme, very small and very warm

« Reply #3 on: 19 January, 2011, 02:52:26 am »
Building a good down sleeping bag is an inherently expensive process, IMO. So much so that you are probably better off with a medium or high quality synthetic bag than a cheap down bag.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 22 January, 2011, 10:32:15 am »
The Snugpak wasn't warm enough at Wyke Down in September, although I did have ice flaking off the tent on Saturday morning.  It wasn't even *that* warm when I tried it over the August bank holiday.  Might be better with a silk liner, but then you've doubled the cost and added the bulk of a warmer bag.

I should add that I am generally too warm in bed, not too cold.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #5 on: 22 January, 2011, 11:45:51 am »
If you don't stretch to an expensive down bag, what about using a cheap one inside a reasonable synthetic bag. I used 2 synthetic bags before I had my Rab bag. Last weekend We used a 3/4 season xxl bag (mountain warehouse, but millets have them) inside a 2/3 season double and that was ok. We don't have a double silk liner yet.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #6 on: 22 January, 2011, 10:34:47 pm »
I've been impressed with my Tesco's down bag. Very small & light (about 850g). They do need time to 'loft' though.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #7 on: 22 January, 2011, 10:40:07 pm »
Sigh, was in tesco tonight and had a shufty at thermal range. The tesco down bag is deffo in the +ve temp range. So how does this fit with cold campsite in say march.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: 22 January, 2011, 11:02:15 pm »
I have a 50 gsm synthetic bag that I use as a liner if it's going to be cold - local shop was selling them for a fiver!
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #9 on: 23 January, 2011, 09:18:29 am »
Sigh, was in tesco tonight and had a shufty at thermal range. The tesco down bag is deffo in the +ve temp range. So how does this fit with cold campsite in say march.
Depends how cold you sleep. On my own, I use a 4 season down bag rated to -12 in August and a bag rated for alpine use in January. Most people are not as cold as me :-[. I'd use the cheap one as a liner bag. :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.