Author Topic: Gmail-Hotmail query on HTC Wildfire and HTC Desire  (Read 1863 times)

Paul Smith SRCC

• Surrey Road Cyling Club
  • 45+ years a club rider, 33+ years in cycle trade.
    • www.plsmith.co.uk
Gmail-Hotmail query on HTC Wildfire and HTC Desire
« on: 30 January, 2011, 02:02:26 pm »
My girlfriend Louisa uses Google mail on her HTC Wildfire, is there a way of showing emails with multiple replies complete, as they get truncated with only the most recent reply shown. There is a small browser listing the unread messages which you can then select to view, but was hoping to set it up to show all the replies in one go.

She had been using Hotmail until recently; however even though she had the ‘delete mail on server’ set to ‘on’ any emails replied to showed via the phone showed as not even opened when viewed via a pc, so she switched to her Google mail account that she created when she went through the set up sequence when the phone arrived.

Any suggestions? Am personally interested as thanks to several threads here in ’Yacf’ I have a HTC Desire coming this week.

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: Gmail query on HTC Wildfire
« Reply #1 on: 31 January, 2011, 12:20:15 pm »
I find the default Gmail interface on the Desire very crude, but nevertheless 'adequate'.  In particular it's quite difficult (not impossible) to delete a mail without first opening it - very irritating if it turns out to be a big mail as well as unwanted!

I think anyone who is going to be a power user would have to investigate alternative mail clients - I haven't done this but would be interested as well, to know what's good.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #2 on: 31 January, 2011, 05:22:37 pm »
As well as gmail, apparently required to access the apps market, I also get my ISP's email on my Wildfire without any problems.

« Reply #3 on: 31 January, 2011, 05:44:22 pm »
There is a specific gmail app for android that gets updated. Not sure if its any better than the one provided with the HTC and you might need android 2.2 to use the latest version.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #4 on: 31 January, 2011, 05:57:40 pm »
I think that's the one I describe as 'crude'. 
Possibly part of my problem is that I don't get on very well with the 1-touch way of doing things, which is new to me.  I'd prefer my 1st touch to 'select' the object and a 2nd one to action it.  But then I suppose it wouldn't be all shiny and slick - instead it would be Win3.1
</bemoaning the good ol days>

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #5 on: 31 January, 2011, 06:51:41 pm »
Not quite sure if I've got what you mean, but if you tap the header the emails open up and you can open them all to look at at the same time.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #6 on: 31 January, 2011, 11:01:18 pm »
if you tap the header the emails open up

Exactly.  Horrible.
But I daresay I'll get used to it.

Paul Smith SRCC

• www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: 03 February, 2011, 12:23:38 pm »
if you tap the header the emails open up

Exactly.  Horrible.
But I daresay I'll get used to it.

I don't like that Gmail does that either as on multiple replies you have to go into each header, it's the same on my HTC Desire. I would be happy to keep Hotmail as the phone still lays out the messages as I like, I wonder if there is an 'android app' that would improve Hotmail so that emails via the phone match what is then viewed on the desktop? Alternatively I would be happy with Gmail if I could set that to layout the messages without having to open each header.

Surely there must be a way to achieve this, I would have thought many, at least enough would like a similar set up.

Paul Smith
Touring Tips

« Reply #8 on: 03 February, 2011, 02:45:28 pm »
I find the default Gmail interface on the Desire very crude, but nevertheless 'adequate'.  In particular it's quite difficult (not impossible) to delete a mail without first opening it - very irritating if it turns out to be a big mail as well as unwanted!

In the Google Mail app on my Desire, rather than tapping on a message in the list to open it, I can keep my finger on it and a menu will pop up that includes 'delete'.

Paul Smith SRCC

• www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: 04 February, 2011, 08:23:16 am »

In the Google Mail app on my Desire, rather than tapping on a message in the list to open it, I can keep my finger on it and a menu will pop up that includes 'delete'.

Mine is the same, shame they don't have a similar function to display the whole email

Paul Smith
Touring Tips