Author Topic: Taking only two panniers on a long tour  (Read 3636 times)

gordon taylor

Taking only two panniers on a long tour
« on: 23 August, 2008, 10:10:15 am »
In 2007 and this year, I've managed to comfortably to get all my kit into two panniers (plus tent and bar bag.) I suffered badly this year when it was colder than I expected and I didn't have a windproof top or, say, fleecy bib longs. Nevertheless, for pleasant weather, I'd say that two panniers is all that should be needed. What do you think?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Taking only two panniers on a long tour
« Reply #1 on: 23 August, 2008, 10:23:33 am »
I think front panniers are good to prevent a loaded bike 'pulling wheelies' uphill.
I'm quite good at not filling empty space on panniers, which weighs nowt.
I like having space for extra clothes and food.
I accept the wheelies issue might be more severe for a gurl as there is less upper body weight and we might use shorter stems.
I prefer 4 panniers...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2 on: 23 August, 2008, 11:18:42 am »
I think front panniers are good to prevent a loaded bike 'pulling wheelies' uphill.
I'm quite good at not filling empty space on panniers, which weighs nowt.
I like having space for extra clothes and food.
I accept the wheelies issue might be more severe for a gurl as there is less upper body weight and we might use shorter stems.
I prefer 4 panniers...

Agree.
I didn't own front panniers untill I did a very loaded tour that took me through Devon.  You can guess the rest.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #3 on: 23 August, 2008, 11:19:44 am »
Depends on where I am going and the likely climate.

Somewhere like France where I know I can buy food every day, the weather is fairly predictable and I'll be staying in campsites with washing facilities the 2 panniers are fine.

If I'm likely to be somewhere were there can be a few days between decent shopping opportunities (NW Scotland, Norway) I'll take front panniers so I can carry a few days food and extra clothes.

Having said that I managed 4 weeks in Iceland with 2 rear panniers & a barbag. I did end up putting my clothes in a binbag on the rear rack with the tent & sleeping mat and had my mug & sandals hanging off the pannier straps!
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #4 on: 24 August, 2008, 07:48:10 am »
On the few occassions I cycle camp with a bike (usully I use a trike so the load is packed very differently) I suppose my load is about the same although distributed differently.

Small front panniers carry light items such as sleeping bag, mat and cooking kit.
Bar bag carries paperwork, camera and snacks only.
Saddlebag has tools, clothes and waterproofs etc, usual touring stuff and is only about 75% full (Campers Longflap).  So I have room for expansion if I need to or want to take a bit more.
Tent is carried behind the saddlebag.

That I would never be without my good old heavy cape and a modern light water/windproof jacket.  For the legs, in the summer I carry a pair of leg warmers just in case.

The loaded touring bike weighs in at 55 pounds (from what I recall, it has been about 6 years since I last used the bike for touring).  I don't mind a bit of weight but I don't like bulk; so most of my kit is selected for low bulk.  As AndrewC says though, I do tend to be in places like France where i can usually pick up food on demand.

Treewheeler

« Reply #5 on: 24 August, 2008, 11:46:36 am »
Ah...
 Cold eh? Gordy with all that body core as well...

I'm off to N.Z in their spring through to summer and have a choice of a Rab Atlas 1000 4 season down sleeping bag that weighs 2kg but is good for a cold night or a Mountain Equipment 2 season down bag that is chilly even in the summer at times but weighs only 550g...
 Rab bag in stuff sac (without compresion sac) takes up one whole front pannier.
 Do I take the heavy bag for Spring and leave it open on summer nights...?
Or the light bag and wear all I own and more inside it...?
I notice that Mark Beaumont on his round the world trip used a light 1/2 season bag and a down vest+ all his clothes to sleep in when cold.
I had also considered buying a hot water bottle down under and using that until summer came before throwing it away.
My sleeping mat is a T.A.Rest prolite 4 upgraded from my ulralite as I have found that a good thick mat makes a world of difference to heat loss.
 I've a new Trangia non-stick 1kg. Diet and budget for me on a long tour as I can't afford to eat out every day for months on end and the cost of running a Trangia is so very low for its size.
 I could use my one man tent of course... however, if I am rained in/get lucky in love or want to cook out of the elements my new 2 man (if it ever arrives)    Dragonfly 2xt from Mountain Equipment 2.5kg (and the rest) has a gurt great porch for flinging all your panniers into.
I shall post images if I ever work out how to later on as my packing progresses.
 So far my revised estimate for all up weight for flying is around 88lb/40kg
Old 531 trad' tourer with tandem wheels, 2 front + 2 rearpanniers small bar bag  and tent on rack.
 Once loaded with food, fuel, maps, water etc... who knows the final tally!
Oh... I also have work clothes and tough shoes as I am 'WWOOFing' from time to time to extend my tour.
 I really thought about a trailer...
For me on this trip traveling super light is not so much of an issue as I'm longer term traveling.
However, I normally go very much with Tatanab when it comes to packing.

Treewheeler

« Reply #6 on: 24 August, 2008, 10:10:08 pm »
I wish some-one would educate me on packing small for long...
Still young enough to listen to reason ;)

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #7 on: 24 August, 2008, 10:48:35 pm »
I wish some-one would educate me on packing small for long...
Still young enough to listen to reason ;)

It's quite easy.
Find all the things you need, line them up, remove 50 % and you should be fine.

Bring :
1 waterproof jacket
1 warm jersey / jacket
3 t-shirts
3 pairs of socks
3 cycling shorts
1 pair trekking pants
underwear
1 pair of spare shoes/sandals
1 towel
1 cap or hat

That's the basics you need for 1-4 weeks ride.
More warm clothes  if you ride in colder regions, but I tend to prefer short sleeve and wind/waterproof on top.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #8 on: 26 August, 2008, 06:13:21 pm »
I'm about to embark on my first tour: 6 days riding with 4 night's camping and 1 night staying at relatives. I've got more than enough stuff in two rear panniers and a decent sized bar bag. My tent, thermarest and sleeping bag are on the rack.
a great mind thinks alike

« Reply #9 on: 26 August, 2008, 06:21:18 pm »
I prefer to have all my gear packed into my panniers. Nothing is strapped on top except stuff I may need for the day such as clothes or food that I have bought. Thus I use four panniers, two of those on low riders. This has the advantage of distributing the weight more evenly on the bike which means it handles more like the designer intended.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10 on: 26 August, 2008, 06:24:37 pm »
Avoid big puddles and fords if your low-rider front panniers are not waterproof...

« Reply #11 on: 27 August, 2008, 10:23:43 pm »
Concerning your sleeping bag, it is not usually recommended to wear lots of clothes inside your bag in order to stay warm. Better to have a blanket or another sleeping bag (or a special outer bag you can buy) on the outside.

alan

« Reply #12 on: 28 August, 2008, 04:15:38 am »
or a silk liner

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #13 on: 28 August, 2008, 09:44:41 am »
Concerning your sleeping bag, it is not usually recommended to wear lots of clothes inside your bag in order to stay warm. Better to have a blanket or another sleeping bag (or a special outer bag you can buy) Edit: or a house on the outside.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #14 on: 28 August, 2008, 09:46:57 am »
or a silk liner
+1 silk liners are brilliant  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

« Reply #15 on: 28 August, 2008, 06:53:03 pm »
On a 2 week tour I took this

The Hilleberg tent was in the left pannier and there is a saddlebag under the washing (which just got wetter).  I didn't have any probs with 'wheelies' altho' admittedly the Pyrennees are not as steep as N. Yorks hills.
Sheldon Brown never said leave it to the professionals.

« Reply #16 on: 28 August, 2008, 09:42:53 pm »
or a silk liner
+1 silk liners are brilliant  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yes, and I can't find mine and I'm going away on Saturday.  >:(

If I buy another one you just know what's going to happen.....
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Treewheeler

« Reply #17 on: 29 August, 2008, 01:39:20 pm »
What should I take to N.Z from Spring to Autumn
 I have 2 season and 4 season bag to choose from.
2 with liner or 4 and lie on top when it gets warmer...?

alan

« Reply #18 on: 29 August, 2008, 02:24:04 pm »
2 season with liner.If it gets nicely warm you can use the liner on it's own

« Reply #19 on: 29 August, 2008, 03:53:10 pm »
What should I take to N.Z from Spring to Autumn
 I have 2 season and 4 season bag to choose from.
2 with liner or 4 and lie on top when it gets warmer...?

When I was in NZ from Sept 90-Nov 90 I used a 4 season bag and don't remember being cold. The weather was certainly cool for the first two weeks and I did elect to sleep in hostels as much as I could. I was tired of camping after 3 months in the USA and needed company.