Author Topic: Crap ride today  (Read 2171 times)

Crap ride today
« on: 25 June, 2008, 08:45:56 am »
Today's ride to work was awful.  The first 5 miles were into a direct headwind.  I even felt the wind on the climbs, which are normally sheltered from the wind a bit.  On the flat sections I was riding at about 11 mph as the wind whipped my hair into my eyes.  This was a drag, but ploddable.  About 3/4 of the way into work there is a long downhill section through a large village with a roundabout at the bottom.  It's always a careful balance trying to slow down for the roundabout whilst going fast enough to discourage motorists from overtaking near the roundabout.  The road was wet and as I approached the roundabout I saw a couple of cars entering to my right, so I squeezed the brakes a little to come to a stop.

Cue both wheels locking up as I am on a diesel patch.  Bike moves sideways.  At this point my brain kicked in and I let go of the brakes and I rolled onto the roundabout, mostly upright.  I had to take the first exit to avoid the cars coming from my right, so added another hill to my journey  :(

At work, the whole building is coned off while the cracks in the newly laid path are fixed.  I have to carry my bike 300 m through the cones to get into the front door  :(

I think this is all punishment because I didn't go out training yesterday because it was raining.

Re: Crap ride today
« Reply #1 on: 25 June, 2008, 08:58:47 am »
Just hope that wind stays as it is and you'll sail home in no time tonight...

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #2 on: 25 June, 2008, 09:15:13 am »
"The wind wasn't much fun."
+1.  42-20 (or thereabouts)  for 14 miles. Hey ho. Never mind tail/side wind on the way home*.

I _was_ hoping for calmer weather today as  I've organised a jaunt in advance of the annual company Barbeque and I'm afraid it'll put people off. 

*This is a forlorn hope as it's a fundamental rule of cycling that, " It's _always_ a headwind."  :)  Which reminds me of another rule which I discover every summer and forget every winter; "Do not cycle past farmyards / byres with your mouth open.  Especially on hot days."
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #3 on: 25 June, 2008, 09:31:27 am »
By the time I set off home the wind will have swung round exactly 180 degrees.  It may even start to rain.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #4 on: 25 June, 2008, 10:05:38 am »
Ha! It's just started raining, heavily, here.   Now that wasn't forecast.   Eee, in't British summer weather wonderful? :)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #5 on: 25 June, 2008, 10:29:22 am »
'Character building' is the phrase that comes to mind.

...the wind whipped my hair into my eyes...
My sympathy, it's not a problem I have to suffer.

ian

« Reply #6 on: 25 June, 2008, 11:21:44 am »
By the time I set off home the wind will have swung round exactly 180 degrees.  It may even start to rain.

You misspelled hail.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 25 June, 2008, 05:33:45 pm »
'Character building' is the phrase that comes to mind.

I never did understand how 'soul-destroying' became character-building' to some slick tongued management types.

A Wimp

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #8 on: 25 June, 2008, 07:27:56 pm »
Dammit

I got that wind ALL the way home (all 8.5 miles of it).

And It was DEFINITELY NOT behind me on the way in.

:(

« Reply #9 on: 26 June, 2008, 08:49:35 am »
Fortunately I did end up with a tail wind for most of my ride home.  Unfortunately, the wind has picked up further overnight and it is now pissing down.  I would be drier if I had jumped in the sea.  Avoided the diesel today though.

« Reply #10 on: 26 June, 2008, 08:51:37 am »
Power training!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #11 on: 26 June, 2008, 08:55:26 am »
I have the gegenwind last night, up hill, deep joy. I did OK though, the gym work has given me stronger legs. This morning it was a ruckenwind and downhill, I was flying. Pedalled for as long as I could then got in a tight tuck, probably close to 50mph

« Reply #12 on: 26 June, 2008, 10:02:37 am »
Good stuff MSeries, I'm glad the ridiculous wind was useful to someone.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #13 on: 26 June, 2008, 10:21:43 am »
Hope you had a better ride today.  I had the tailwind, so I managed a decent time.

Last night, into the wind, I took an indirect route home to get a couple more miles in.
Getting there...

« Reply #14 on: 26 June, 2008, 10:24:38 am »
Good stuff MSeries, I'm glad the ridiculous wind was useful to someone.

Someone, yeah. I was riding into the same area from exactly the opposite direction. Grind grind into the headwind for 25miles.

I watched another rider sail past me and straight through 2 sets of red lights. At the 3rd set I'd had enough, cupped my hands and shouted "Don't ride through red lights, moron."

The car full next to me wound down their windows, gave me a thumbs up and said "Good one, mate." That's 4 young men who might be nicer to the next cyclist they meet.
<i>Marmite slave</i>