Linked Events

• Invicta 300 Audax: 09 April, 2011

Author Topic: Invicta 300 - 09-APR-2011  (Read 10635 times)

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
Re: Invicta 300 - 09-APR-2011
« Reply #75 on: 14 April, 2011, 08:20:24 pm »
Good to meet Toontra on the way also. I'll bet that hedgehog was glad to see you too!!

At the time it was probably pi$$ed off about being kicked several times (gently, in its rolled up position, I hasten to add), but sitting in the middle of the A2 was not a smart thing to be doing.

I'm sure you'll be having a word with your wheel builder in the morning, scot!  I've had spokes go on 32 and 36 rims and never had the total failure that you had - I've always been able to limp home.  Maybe too much tension?

The wheel builder was Harry Rowland no less. Although I hasten to add that this is the second time a rear drive side spoke has gone on the rear wheel since I bought them from him last year - it went in October last year then the local LBS fixed it and now it;s gone again so he is absolved from blame on that front (not for the first one though!).

One more thing - I did also note when the bike was in the shop yesteday that the rear tyre was down to the canvas in several places so no doubt I would have suffered a puncture / blow out at some later point in the ride anyway - not my day I guess...

So...the upshot of this is that, according to the LBS, my rear rim is 'so twisted it's beyond repair' (hmm having re-read that, I suspect I should add the rim of my cycle wheel...). So, hand-built built rear wheel apparently 'shot' in 10 months... not happy.

« Reply #76 on: 14 April, 2011, 08:30:50 pm »
So...the upshot of this is that, according to the LBS, my rear rim is 'so twisted it's beyond repair' (hmm having re-read that, I suspect I should add the rim of my cycle wheel...). So, hand-built built rear wheel apparently 'shot' in 10 months... not happy.

If it's any consolation I'm down by a rear wheel rim, tyre and tube thanks to that pothole near the start.  The rim was near new, as was the tyre - both beyond repair, and the tube was sliced almost in half (never seen that before).  I'd just used a track pump to get the rear up to 115 so that must have been some hole!
The sound of one pannier flapping

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #77 on: 14 April, 2011, 08:49:35 pm »
And to think that some people take up cycling because it is cheap!
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.