Author Topic: So how could this be explained in fit athletes (procyclists)  (Read 1541 times)

PeteT

So how could this be explained in fit athletes (procyclists)
« on: 07 October, 2011, 02:07:24 pm »
Just been reading some observations from ajournalist who has spent some time with top pro cyclists at the TdF etc.

He observed that the vast majority of them struggled to climb even a small flight of stairs without getting very short of breath. Yet these are the same guys who go zipping up the Alps etc! Doesn't make sense really as I would have thought they'd be super-fit and climbing stairs would be a doddle.

Any ideas about this?

Re: So how could this be explained in fit athletes (procyclists)
« Reply #1 on: 07 October, 2011, 02:10:20 pm »
Perhaps he's mistaken?

LEE

« Reply #2 on: 07 October, 2011, 02:11:22 pm »
Were they carrying a Piano?

« Reply #3 on: 07 October, 2011, 02:18:32 pm »
Had they just finished a 200k mountain stage?
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #4 on: 07 October, 2011, 02:26:36 pm »
I suspect that their hearts don't even bother to start pumping faster for such a minuscule amount of exercise. So they rely on a bit of extra oxygen rather than increasing the heart rate until their heart realises and starts to catch up.

Can I have my degree in sports medicine now ;)
Owner of a languishing Langster

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 07 October, 2011, 02:39:13 pm »
Perhaps their blood was a bit thickened? :demon:
Getting there...

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #6 on: 07 October, 2011, 02:41:55 pm »
The EPO was upstairs 2nd door on the right?
Owner of a languishing Langster

« Reply #7 on: 07 October, 2011, 02:46:59 pm »
I don't think an increase in the rate of breathing necessarily indicates level of effort. I've noticed on London Underground escalators that I can rapidly ascend without too much trouble, my breathing and heart rate go up, as would anyone's, but I'm fairly comfortable with it. Similarly, if I'm pootling along having a conversation with a mate on the bike I'll get out of breath, but it's no indication of comparative fitness.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 07 October, 2011, 03:44:06 pm »
I know nothing about physiology, but maybe they climb a flight of stairs aerobically, where most people's effort would be largely anaerobic?  The power requirement for climbing stairs is significantly higher than walking, which means more oxygen is required however fit you are.

« Reply #9 on: 07 October, 2011, 04:07:48 pm »
Just been reading some observations from a journalist who has spent some time with top pro cyclists at the TdF etc.

Can you link to these observations, please?

Edit: this triathlon forum discussion suggests the observation might be from Lance Armstrong's War by Daniel Coyle, and suggests an explanation: everyone gets out of breath going up stairs because it's hard work. (I just checked this and it's true for me: one flight of stairs and I have an elevated pulse and breathing rate.)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #10 on: 07 October, 2011, 04:26:49 pm »
Brainstorming, possibly bollocks:

Fit people climb stairs very quickly and don't mind (because they're used to it) pushing their heart to the limit.  People not used to excercise are more cautious and don't push themselves so hard.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #11 on: 07 October, 2011, 06:48:32 pm »
Sports-specific conditioning? I am rowing fit, partly cycling fit (no time due to rowing), & definately not running fit (hate it, go rowing & cycling instead.

If the spend all their time using cycling muscles, might they be less fit for other uses of legs?

« Reply #12 on: 07 October, 2011, 06:52:52 pm »
I thought they avoided stairs like the plague during a race?!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

PeteT

« Reply #13 on: 07 October, 2011, 09:59:17 pm »
Just been reading some observations from a journalist who has spent some time with top pro cyclists at the TdF etc.

Can you link to these observations, please?

Edit: this triathlon forum discussion suggests the observation might be from Lance Armstrong's War by Daniel Coyle, and suggests an explanation: everyone gets out of breath going up stairs because it's hard work. (I just checked this and it's true for me: one flight of stairs and I have an elevated pulse and breathing rate.)

Unfortunately not, as it's good old ink on paper. However, what if...
Pro cyclists tend to have a very low heart-rate and when climbing stairs it takes a slight while for the CV system to come-up to speed from a very low starting point. The heart of a pro cyclist ambling along is barely working and suddenly going-up the stairs requires some effort and the system just doesn't ramp-up fast enough. Average people's hearts will be ticking-over much faster and will spin-up a bit quicker rather like a revving engine. Furthermore the average Joe won't have the muscle-mass to supply either.