Author Topic: Making it all worth while  (Read 3226 times)

Si

Making it all worth while
« on: 11 June, 2008, 07:08:38 pm »
Just got my first (first of the season and first ever) new potatoes up.  Wasn't meaning to, just ended up fertling by the end plant and suddenly there they were in my bag.

Wow, is all I can say.

I have never tasted potatoes like them.  So much flavour.  Just boiled and with nothing on them they taste like they are stuffed with butter!

Was intending to make them into pot-salad as I don't like plain boiled potatoes - so bland.  But after tasting them that's how I ate them and was tempted to trot back to the plot for more.

Makes it all worth while  ;D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Making it all worth while
« Reply #1 on: 11 June, 2008, 07:59:44 pm »
David has picked a few strawberries. They look delicious.
We'll share them later.

Shen

« Reply #2 on: 13 June, 2008, 03:15:10 pm »
The great house gardners used to use heated beds to produce "new tatties" for the Christmas dinner. Now you know why they went to all that effort.

That taste sensation, and I am still awaiting mine, is one of the great tastes of the year.  :)

I can't wait...

Shen

« Reply #3 on: 13 June, 2008, 11:17:17 pm »
I had my first new potatoes nearly 2 weeks ago - they were pot grown in the greenhouse though. I'll try the first of the outdoor ones this weekend.

Cropping strawberries, redcurrants, rhubarb, asparagus, broad beans, lettuce (three rows all ready at once  ::-)) and rocket at the moment. Early carrots didn't do too well, but Iwill have turnips and peas ready this weekend. Garlic and shalots will be ready to harvest when we get a good dry spell.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Chris N

« Reply #4 on: 10 July, 2008, 12:40:56 pm »
Dug out our first kilo of spuds on Monday - from just 3 seed potatoes in a pot.  Hopefully we'll have another 3 or 4 kilos to come.

Tuesday: roasted with a bit of rosemary, thyme and wet garlic
Yesterday: made into a spanish omelette
Tonight: boiled with a bit of mint and covered in butter
Tomorrow: ?