Author Topic: Hip Assymetry  (Read 1421 times)

Hip Assymetry
« on: 18 August, 2011, 03:07:01 pm »
Or at least that's what I think it is.

As I've been increasing the miles and putting in a bit more effort I've started getting increased discomfort in the very top of my left thigh about an hour or 2 into a ride. This starts off as a feeling off slight numbness which then turns into a bit of an uncomfortable ache. It feels like the edge of the saddle is digging in on that side. Getting out of the saddle fixes it for a bit, and if I stop for a bit then it'll really reduce but pops back. When I get home it disappears pretty quickly, and there's no obvious sore on my leg.

The other night I noticed that I'm sat ever so slightly to the left on the bike (I thought I'd pulled a hamstring and was relieved to find that I'd moved left enough to be clipping the seat post bolt with the back of my right thigh).

I've also noticed that the pad stitching in both pairs of shorts is starting to get worn more on the right hand side.

The increase in mileage/effort have been done sensibly so I don't think I've pulled/torn anything (learnt that lesson the painful way when running)

Which makes me think it might be something like this - http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/blog/2011/04/the-right-side-bias/ . I'm going to try and borrow a turbo so I can get a video of my action to check.

But it looks like the options are:
  • Bike Fit - I might try the saddle a bit lower, but I didn't seem to be having any problems before. I was hoping to upgrade my current bike in a couple of months so don't really want to shell out for a proper fitting session only to have to do it again so soon.
  • Core/flexibility - Particularly bad for me. Had already started some extra 'core' exercises after rides, but probably need to throw some quality stretching in as well rather than just a few half hearted hamstring stretches.
  • Manipulation from a chiropractor/osteopath/physio - Any thoughts on which one might be better? or a recommendation for a good cycling friendly one near Nottingham would be great.
Has anyone had anything similar and tried anything else? All suggestions gratefully recieved as it's putting a bit of a damper on things, and I've rather try to fix it than push through.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
Re: Hip Assymetry
« Reply #1 on: 04 September, 2011, 01:11:08 pm »
I have the same problem, which flares up now and again.  When it does I've found the only solution is to go to a chiropractor, who pulls me about to realign my hips.  What triggers it for me is sitting around for long periods.  Long car journeys fill me with dread.

I'm reasonably flexible and I've been told by a physiotherapist that my core strength is perfectly respectable.  The physiotherapy itself did nothing.

border-rider

« Reply #2 on: 04 September, 2011, 01:16:17 pm »
+1 for a chiropractor

I was in a fairly bad way in May, with lower back, shoulder & intense knee pain on my left that stopped me riding more than about 60k.  I was aware that I was sitting crooked on the bike.  The chiropractor pulled me about a bit, and although the fix wasn't instant it got better over the next week or so and I was able to qualify for & ride PBP.

anecdata, for sure, of course...

« Reply #3 on: 05 September, 2011, 01:59:22 pm »
Thanks, so it appears it's not just me then. I'll start looking into local chiropractors and see if I can find any recommendations.

Sitting around pretty much is my life (anyone know of any DBA/Sysadmin jobs that involve lots of physical activity?)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4 on: 05 September, 2011, 06:35:18 pm »
Sitting around pretty much is my life (anyone know of any DBA/Sysadmin jobs that involve lots of physical activity?)
This is a whole big area to get into .... but;
there are a lot of office chairs* around now that give you better posture and allow you to keep your pelvis/spine mobile. The more cash you have, the more choice. Very few cost more than a half-decent bicycle :)

Getting up and stretching every 15-20 mins can make a huge difference too. Physios/chiropractors will probably have advice about this.

*and other related exotica!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #5 on: 06 September, 2011, 06:55:07 pm »
Just been to the Chiro today. Open wallet surgery but worth it.

« Reply #6 on: 12 September, 2011, 03:39:25 pm »
I don't suffer with it, but I suspect I am asymmetrical. I'm extremely lateralised - really strong preference for using my right hand/leg. Oddly, my Brooks has worn in such that the left side is much more dented in. In that I don't suffer with it, I've just ignored it.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 12 September, 2011, 04:57:19 pm »
I don't suffer with it, but I suspect I am asymmetrical. I'm extremely lateralised - really strong preference for using my right hand/leg. Oddly, my Brooks has worn in such that the left side is much more dented in. In that I don't suffer with it, I've just ignored it.

Maybe, if your right leg is doing more work, your left buttock does more sitting...

« Reply #8 on: 12 September, 2011, 05:30:17 pm »
I think it might be a general 'sideness' thing as on longer rides it tends to be my left should that hurts first as well. So I'm not sure if it's hips are turned which puts more weight on left arm, or if left arm is weaker which means left side moves forward dragging hip with it.

As expensive as a chiropractor is I think it's cheaper than replacing shorts every couple of months! Now, do I enter Mille Alba or pay for a chiro when the next pay cheque turns up in a couple of days..........