Author Topic: Hardening stove enamel  (Read 2730 times)

Hardening stove enamel
« on: 03 April, 2012, 11:43:21 pm »
I've just received some touch up paint from Mercian. The instructions point out that it's stove enamel, and suggest putting it in front of a heater, as it won't dry naturally. We don't really have much but radiators. Anyone got any tips or experience?

Re: Hardening stove enamel
« Reply #1 on: 04 April, 2012, 08:25:18 am »
I've just received some touch up paint from Mercian. The instructions point out that it's stove enamel, and suggest putting it in front of a heater, as it won't dry naturally. We don't really have much but radiators. Anyone got any tips or experience?

Hairdrier on full heat?

Personally I use nail varnish as touch up. It's available in virtually any colour these days, sticks well and dries naturally.

« Reply #2 on: 04 April, 2012, 02:53:11 pm »
Funnily enough, there's a few posts elsewhere (CC, bikeradar) from someone else with a Mercian, in 2010. No definite answer, tho' one suggestion was it needed to reach 120 C.

Mebbe coat a small area of some sheet metal and try heating that - a hot air gun set low first, for several minutes, and see if it's hardened, if not then try the next setting up.

You might have to be a bit careful around any transfers, unless they're under some sort of clear coat.

« Reply #3 on: 04 April, 2012, 03:05:10 pm »
I suggest you phone Mercian, they're usually very helpful.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #4 on: 04 April, 2012, 04:40:39 pm »
Worth a try, but it sounds like Mercian are a bit unsure too:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=16479392

« Reply #5 on: 04 April, 2012, 09:42:31 pm »
Mercian's suggestions are in my original post, same as in the Bikeradar post. I assume that they find that it works.

I'd have thought that a hair dryer could get the paint hotter than a nearby heater, which is what Mercian suggest.

Good point about transfers though.

Is there a risk of softening existing paint, do you think?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 04 April, 2012, 09:47:23 pm »
Can you borrow an IR heat lamp?  that's what they use to bake car paint; not stove enamel, I grant you, but you're not going to be stoving at 200 deg C at home.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #7 on: 04 April, 2012, 10:16:17 pm »
Dunno. I'll have to ask around :)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #8 on: 05 April, 2012, 08:16:03 am »
I recently sprayed the heatsink on my Cyo light with radiator paint.  This dried in about an hour on top on the log burning stove

« Reply #9 on: 05 April, 2012, 10:39:56 am »
I've got a little pot of enamel-like paint I bought from a model engineering company about 25 years ago. The idea is you paint it on a steam engine boiler then fire the thing up.
( I think I normally lob it on the oven at about 100C, but that's based on the assumption that an engine boiler of water is gonna be about the 100C mark)

I guess the risk to existing paint is if you use something much hotter than it's intended for - just reaching the point at which it hardens shouldn't be a problem, otherwise they've have to get the frames out pretty sharpish, I'd have thought.

BTW - did they really mean it *won't* dry without heat ? - I thought similar sort of enamels needed to dry first, but then cure hard by heating. Might not make any difference on a small spot tho'..

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #10 on: 05 April, 2012, 03:17:36 pm »
I've got a little pot of enamel-like paint I bought from a model engineering company about 25 years ago. The idea is you paint it on a steam engine boiler then fire the thing up.
( I think I normally lob it on the oven at about 100C, but that's based on the assumption that an engine boiler of water is gonna be about the 100C mark)
A proper steam locomotive's boiler has the water at about 200 deg C (assuming a working pressure of 220psi as in an Gresley A3).  That would stove it properly.  Of course, the apple-green paint you see is actually on top of the cladding and not on the boiler itself.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #11 on: 05 April, 2012, 04:19:35 pm »
Ah - 'course, it's under pressure...I obviously didn't think about it in too much detail !